Bikes Not Bombs" Stickers and Newswire

Jym Dyer

Guest
=v= I've put sheets of "Bikes Not Bombs" stickers up on Screed:

http://www.scorcher.org/screed/changing.html#bnbstickers

You can print them onto 8x11 sheets of sticky paper, cut them up, and adhere them to various
appropriate surfaces. There's an unadorned version, and versions with particulars for BNB and CM
rides in San Francisco and other cities.

=v= I've also been trying to keep track of "Bikes Not Bombs" (and "Bike Bloc," "Pedal for Peace,"
etc.) rides around the world. I've tossed together a "newswire" of this rides:

http://www.scorcher.org/bnb/

It's mostly links to various Indymedia sites, but also some mainstream media. Plus goodies along the
sidebars. <_Jym_>

P.S.: San Franciscans, if you'd like to buy the durable vinyl (eek!) "Bikes Not Bombs" sticker
that's been around for years, there's a guy who sells them at the Civic Center Farmer's
Market. In Berkeley, the Ecology Center has them, and so does a guy with a table stand on
Telegraph Ave, usually outside Cody's. Or you can order them on the web -- details on the
sidebar of my newswire page!

"Jym Dyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| =v= I've put sheets of "Bikes Not Bombs" stickers up on Screed:
|
| http://www.scorcher.org/screed/changing.html#bnbstickers
|
| You can print them onto 8x11 sheets of sticky paper, cut them up, and adhere them to various
| appropriate surfaces. There's an unadorned version, and versions with particulars for BNB and CM
| rides in San Francisco and other cities.

I wonder what kind of effect a bike would have if it was dropped on an Iraqi tank, assuming you
could cobble together a GPS guidance system that allowed the bike to hit the tank.

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b720i4$sqa@dispatch.

> I wonder what kind of effect a bike would have if it was dropped on an Iraqi tank, assuming you
> could cobble together a GPS guidance system that allowed the bike to hit the tank.

No need. Just find a way of putting a British flag on the tank, or a sign that identifies it as a
vehicle containing journalists. Guaranteed direct hit.

M.

---

Release Date: 01/04/2003

"M a r k D . . . ." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b720i4$sqa@dispatch.
| >
| > I wonder what kind of effect a bike would have if it was dropped on an Iraqi tank, assuming you
| > could cobble together a GPS guidance system
that
| > allowed the bike to hit the tank.
|
| No need. Just find a way of putting a British flag on the tank, or a sign that identifies it as a
| vehicle containing journalists. Guaranteed direct hit.

Your hyperbole aside, why would someone want to drop a bike instead of a bomb?

(being a lunatic peacenik is only one possible answer)

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "M a r k D . . . ." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> | "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b720i4$sqa@dispatch.
> | >
> | > I wonder what kind of effect a bike would have if it was dropped on an Iraqi tank, assuming
> | > you could cobble together a GPS guidance system
> that
> | > allowed the bike to hit the tank.
> |
> | No need. Just find a way of putting a British flag on the tank, or a
sign
> | that identifies it as a vehicle containing journalists. Guaranteed
direct
> | hit.
>
> Your hyperbole aside, why would someone want to drop a bike instead of a bomb?

Maybe because it kills fewer innocent civilians.

By the way, there was no 'hyperbole'. Buy a dictionary.

M.

---

Release Date: 01/04/2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 22:57:19 +0100, "M a r k D . . . ." <[email protected]> wrote:

>"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>> that
>> |
>> | No need. Just find a way of putting a British flag on the tank, or a
>sign
>> | that identifies it as a vehicle containing journalists. Guaranteed
>direct
>> | hit.
>>
>> Your hyperbole aside, why would someone want to drop a bike instead of a bomb?
>
>Maybe because it kills fewer innocent civilians.
>
>By the way, there was no 'hyperbole'. Buy a dictionary.

Oh, there certainly was hyperbole.

So, if a tank needs to be destroyed, you would choose a bike instead of a bomb?

Brilliant!

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 22:57:19 +0100, "M a r k D . . . ." <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> that

> >sign
> >direct
> >>
> >> Your hyperbole aside, why would someone want to drop a bike instead of
> >> bomb?
> >
> >Maybe because it kills fewer innocent civilians.
> >
> >By the way, there was no 'hyperbole'. Buy a dictionary.
>
> Oh, there certainly was hyperbole.

Like I say, get a dictionary.

> So, if a tank needs to be destroyed, you would choose a bike instead of a bomb?

Get a dictionary first, sonny: if you want me to educate you, you'll have to prove you deserve it.

M.

---

Release Date: 01/04/2003

"M a r k D . . . ." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Oh, there certainly was hyperbole.
>
> Like I say, get a dictionary.
>

> > So, if a tank needs to be destroyed, you would choose a bike instead of a bomb?
>
> Get a dictionary first, sonny: if you want me to educate you, you'll have
> prove you deserve it.

Here I volunteer...

Hyperbole (as per WordSmyth):
1. in rhetoric, an obvious and deliberate exaggeration or overstatement, intended for effect and not
to be taken literally, such as "He had a million excuses".

"Jym Dyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> =v= I've put sheets of "Bikes Not Bombs" stickers up on Screed:
>
> http://www.scorcher.org/screed/changing.html#bnbstickers
>
> You can print them onto 8x11 sheets of sticky paper, cut them up, and adhere them to various
> appropriate surfaces. There's an unadorned version, and versions with particulars for BNB and CM
> rides in San Francisco and other cities.
>
> =v= I've also been trying to keep track of "Bikes Not Bombs" (and "Bike Bloc," "Pedal for Peace,"
> etc.) rides around the world. I've tossed together a "newswire" of this rides:

Are they printed on soft paper?

"M a r k D . . . ." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b720i4$sqa@dispatch.
> >
> > I wonder what kind of effect a bike would have if it was dropped on an Iraqi tank, assuming you
> > could cobble together a GPS guidance system
that
> > allowed the bike to hit the tank.
>
> No need. Just find a way of putting a British flag on the tank, or a sign that identifies it as a
> vehicle containing journalists. Guaranteed direct hit.

Do us all a favor and go play in traffic without a helmet, please!

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 00:49:51 +0100, "M a r k D . . . ." <[email protected]> wrote:

|> >Maybe because it kills fewer innocent civilians.
|> >
|> >By the way, there was no 'hyperbole'. Buy a dictionary.
|>
|> Oh, there certainly was hyperbole.
|
|Like I say, get a dictionary.

I have adictionary child, and your comments vis-avis friendly fire/collateral damge being the norm
are hyperbole.

It's too bad you can't understand this simple fact.

|> So, if a tank needs to be destroyed, you would choose a bike instead of a bomb?
|
|Get a dictionary first, sonny: if you want me to educate you, you'll have to |prove you deserve it.

Why are you afraid of answering such a simple question child?

"Don Freeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "M a r k D . . . ." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Oh, there certainly was hyperbole.
> >
> > Like I say, get a dictionary.
> >

> > > So, if a tank needs to be destroyed, you would choose a bike instead of a bomb?
> >
> > Get a dictionary first, sonny: if you want me to educate you, you'll
have
> > prove you deserve it.
> >
> Here I volunteer...
>
> Hyperbole (as per WordSmyth):
> 1. in rhetoric, an obvious and deliberate exaggeration or overstatement, intended for effect and
> not to be taken literally, such as "He had a
million
> excuses".

You do indeed! And what I used *wasn't* hyperbole.

M.

---

Release Date: 01/04/2003

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 02:06:14 +0100, "M a r k D . . . ." <[email protected]> wrote:

|You do indeed! And what I used *wasn't* hyperbole.

ROTFLMAO.

Just keep telling yourself that peacenik.

I was writing about a page arguing against Pete. Then I realized he was right and I was avoiding the
simplicity.

Normal fact: Journalists/British have been getting hit (by both sides incidently). Exaggeration:
Making a tank have a flag or journalists GUARANTEES getting hit.

So by wordsmyth's definition the joke is a hyperbole. I'm done.

Peace - Mikolaj

P.S. - Why the heck do people on the internet resort to "you"re stupid" and altogether avoid why?
It seems like common sense that avoiding the stupidity comments and just debating the whys
and hows would kill the retardedness on the internet. Seriously... what the hell do you have
to gain from being a jerk? I joined rec.bicycles.soc imagining that cyclists are somehow
less shallow then other subcultures/groups. Quite a few people are giving me the feeling
that I am mistaken.

P.P.S. - Don't respond to P.S. by saying that just calling someone stupid is a lot shorter. That is
completely wrong since this actually happens. "You're stupid" "No, you're stupid" -"No, you
are!" - ad infinitum. Spending 5 lines of explanation is shorter than 10 responses of one line
insults. Now I'm really done.

On 09 Apr 2003 10:29:53 -0700, Jym Dyer <[email protected]> ranted:

>You can print them onto 8x11 sheets of sticky paper, cut them up, and adhere them to various
>appropriate surfaces.

Seems like by the time all that was done, the war was already over and Iraqis are dancing in
the streets, hugging US Marines & soldiers, chanting "USA USA USA". Now how are you going to
get those stickers off your bikes, or will you cover them with new anti-something-else
stickers? :) Sincerely, Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department

A reminder: Why we are fighting: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/AmericaAttacked.htm

email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

"Man is the only animal that knows it will die. Man is also the only animal that drinks."

- L. Block