bikes on amtrak

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Rikiarnie, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. Rikiarnie

    Rikiarnie Guest

    I had planned on cycling from NYC to Montreal, and then returning by Amtrak. I
    have now found out that there are no trains that will take bike. Any ideas out
    there?

    Tags:

  2. Norm

    Norm Guest

    Rikiarnie wrote:

    > I had planned on cycling from NYC to Montreal, and then returning by Amtrak. I
    > have now found out that there are no trains that will take bike. Any ideas out
    > there?

    Someone must have the scoop on this. Last I knew they were allowed on
    most Amtraks, maybe there's a procedure to follow

    --
    "The web has got me caught. I'd rather have the blues than what I've
    got." <via Nat King Cole>

  3. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Norm <[email protected]> writes:

    > Rikiarnie wrote:
    >
    >> I had planned on cycling from NYC to Montreal, and then returning
    >> by Amtrak. I have now found out that there are no trains that will
    >> take bike. Any ideas out there?

    > Someone must have the scoop on this. Last I knew they were allowed
    > on most Amtraks, maybe there's a procedure to follow

    Gee, maybe someone should check with Amtrak's Web site and see what
    their baggage policies are.

    http://www.amtrak.com/plan/baggage-checked.html

  4. > I had planned on cycling from NYC to Montreal, and then returning
    > by Amtrak. I have now found out that there are no trains that will
    > take bike. Any ideas out there?

    As far as ideas go, consider a bus or bicycle both ways :). Also
    check Amtrak's site.

    I have traveled on Amtrak at least half a dozen times including from
    Savannah, Georgia to Burlington, Vermont (a while ago in '95) and San
    Diego to Denver (my most recent Amtrak trip in '03). Bicycles were
    only allowed to board/unboard at stations that had "baggage service".
    They needed to be boxed and boxes were sold at those stations. [Some
    exceptions, the train between San Luis Obispo and San Jose seemed to
    allow unboxed and non-Amtrak trains in California prefered bicycles
    *not in boxes*]. Prices for boxes and bike travel were much more
    reasonable on Amtrak than domestic US airlines (~$5-10 for the box and
    no additional fee for the bike]. Also, plan on the luggage driver
    placing your bike box on a cart and loading luggage *on top* of the
    box, so prepare accordingly.

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen

  5. NYRides

    NYRides Guest

    If I remember correctly, you might have to ship the bike a day or two in
    advance and pick it up at the station. Check with Amtrack.

    And be sure to check out the Old Montreal to Lachine bikeway while you're
    there. It'll be a wimpy ride after riding all the way to Montreal, but it
    might give you a vision for NYC's bicycling future!
    "Rikiarnie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I had planned on cycling from NYC to Montreal, and then returning by

    Amtrak. I
    > have now found out that there are no trains that will take bike. Any

    ideas out
    > there?

  6. Comcast News

    Comcast News Guest

    Amtrak's Northeast Corridor - Washington D.C. to Boston is their commuter route, their only profitable route and it does not have luggage cars. It does not allow bicycles last I knew...I doubt it's changed. Briefcases...not bikes :)

    From NYC to New Haven CT there is the Metro North Railroad's NewHaven Line...some trains (non-commuter and at certain times) will take bikes.
    "Rikiarnie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    I had planned on cycling from NYC to Montreal, and then returning by Amtrak. I
    have now found out that there are no trains that will take bike. Any ideas out
    there?

  7. On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:11:31 -0400, "Comcast News" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    <Amtrak's Northeast Corridor - Washington D.C. to Boston is their commuter route, their only profitable route and it does not have luggage cars. It does not allow bicycles last I knew...I doubt it's changed. Briefcases...not bikes :)
    <
    <From NYC to New Haven CT there is the Metro North Railroad's NewHaven Line...some trains (non-commuter and at certain times) will take bikes.
    < "Rikiarnie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    < I had planned on cycling from NYC to Montreal, and then returning by Amtrak. I
    < have now found out that there are no trains that will take bike. Any ideas out
    < there?

    You might want to contact the author of this web site
    http://home.att.net/~hannahb/montreal/montrealrideback.html

  8. Pat Clancy

    Pat Clancy Guest

    "Comcast News" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Amtrak's Northeast Corridor - Washington D.C. to Boston is their
    > commuter route, their only profitable route and it does not have luggage
    > cars. It does not allow bicycles last I knew...I doubt it's changed.
    > Briefcases...not bikes :)
    >
    > From NYC to New Haven CT there is the Metro North Railroad's NewHaven
    > Line...some trains (non-commuter and at certain times) will take bikes.
    > "Rikiarnie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > I had planned on cycling from NYC to Montreal, and then returning by
    > Amtrak. I
    > have now found out that there are no trains that will take bike. Any
    > ideas out
    > there?
    > --

    As of two or three years ago there was an Amtrak train, the Vermonter,
    that ran from D.C. via NYC to St. Albans, VT, and accepted bicycles.
    It's still listed as active on the Amtrak web site. Two friends and I
    took the train from Hartford to St. Albans and then rode our bikes
    back to Conn. St. Albans is only 10 miles or so short of the Canadian
    border and maybe 70 miles from Montreal. It would be an easy day's
    ride from Montreal to St. Albans to pick it up.

    Pat Clancy
    [email protected]

  9. Comcast News

    Comcast News Guest

    That's not the same train. You have to change trains in New Haven CT for the Vermonter. It would take him too far inland. That train has baggage cars. See the schedule. www.amtrak.com or http://www.cwrr.com/Amtrak/e_vermt.html

    You go north from New Haven to Hartford, rather than along the coast to Providence and Boston
    "Pat Clancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    "Comcast News" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Amtrak's Northeast Corridor - Washington D.C. to Boston is their
    > commuter route, their only profitable route and it does not have luggage
    > cars. It does not allow bicycles last I knew...I doubt it's changed.
    > Briefcases...not bikes :)
    >
    > From NYC to New Haven CT there is the Metro North Railroad's NewHaven
    > Line...some trains (non-commuter and at certain times) will take bikes.
    > "Rikiarnie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > I had planned on cycling from NYC to Montreal, and then returning by
    > Amtrak. I
    > have now found out that there are no trains that will take bike. Any
    > ideas out
    > there?
    > --

    As of two or three years ago there was an Amtrak train, the Vermonter,
    that ran from D.C. via NYC to St. Albans, VT, and accepted bicycles.
    It's still listed as active on the Amtrak web site. Two friends and I
    took the train from Hartford to St. Albans and then rode our bikes
    back to Conn. St. Albans is only 10 miles or so short of the Canadian
    border and maybe 70 miles from Montreal. It would be an easy day's
    ride from Montreal to St. Albans to pick it up.

    Pat Clancy
    [email protected]

  10. ed

    ed Guest

    [email protected] (Rikiarnie) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I had planned on cycling from NYC to Montreal, and then returning by Amtrak. I
    > have now found out that there are no trains that will take bike. Any ideas out
    > there?

    Amtrack stopped carrying bikes on the Vermonter some time ago. You
    could try Peter Pan / Greyhound. Depending on the bus load you may
    take a bike unboxed if there is room and the driver says ok. Ceck
    Peter Pan site. Adventure Cycling Assoc. has a shiping deal for
    members through another firm.

    ed

  11. ed

    ed Guest

    "Comcast News" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > That's not the same train. You have to change trains in New Haven CT for
    > the Vermonter. It would take him too far inland. That train has baggage
    > cars. See the schedule. www.amtrak.com or
    > http://www.cwrr.com/Amtrak/e vermt.html
    >
    > You go north from New Haven to Hartford, rather than along the coast to
    > Providence and Boston
    > "Pat Clancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > "Comcast News" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<L62dnW8kmp-Lik [email protected]>...
    > > Amtrak's Northeast Corridor - Washington D.C. to Boston is their
    > > commuter route, their only profitable route and it does not have

    > luggage
    > > cars. It does not allow bicycles last I knew...I doubt it's changed.

    > > Briefcases...not bikes :)
    > >
    > > From NYC to New Haven CT there is the Metro North Railroad's

    > NewHaven
    > > Line...some trains (non-commuter and at certain times) will take

    > bikes.
    > > "Rikiarnie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > I had planned on cycling from NYC to Montreal, and then returning

    > by
    > > Amtrak. I
    > > have now found out that there are no trains that will take bike.

    > Any
    > > ideas out
    > > there?
    > > --

    > As of two or three years ago there was an Amtrak train, the Vermonter,
    > that ran from D.C. via NYC to St. Albans, VT, and accepted bicycles.
    > It's still listed as active on the Amtrak web site. Two friends and I
    > took the train from Hartford to St. Albans and then rode our bikes
    > back to Conn. St. Albans is only 10 miles or so short of the Canadian
    > border and maybe 70 miles from Montreal. It would be an easy day's
    > ride from Montreal to St. Albans to pick it up.
    >
    > Pat Clancy
    > [email protected]
    > --

    Check out Sports Express through Adventure Cycling Assoc. a service
    offered to members for shipping your bike.

    ed

  12. On 18 Jun 2004 04:30:19 -0700, [email protected] (Pat Clancy) wrote:

    <"Comcast News" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    <> Amtrak's Northeast Corridor - Washington D.C. to Boston is their
    <> commuter route, their only profitable route and it does not have luggage
    <> cars. It does not allow bicycles last I knew...I doubt it's changed.
    <> Briefcases...not bikes :)
    <>
    <> From NYC to New Haven CT there is the Metro North Railroad's NewHaven
    <> Line...some trains (non-commuter and at certain times) will take bikes.
    <> "Rikiarnie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <> news:[email protected]
    <> I had planned on cycling from NYC to Montreal, and then returning by
    <> Amtrak. I
    <> have now found out that there are no trains that will take bike. Any
    <> ideas out
    <> there?
    <> --
    <
    <As of two or three years ago there was an Amtrak train, the Vermonter,
    <that ran from D.C. via NYC to St. Albans, VT, and accepted bicycles.
    <It's still listed as active on the Amtrak web site. Two friends and I
    <took the train from Hartford to St. Albans and then rode our bikes
    <back to Conn. St. Albans is only 10 miles or so short of the Canadian
    <border and maybe 70 miles from Montreal. It would be an easy day's
    <ride from Montreal to St. Albans to pick it up.

    I took that train, The Vermonter, to Montreal back in the 80's. IIRC, it went
    slower than a bike 8) There were stretches, along river banks and beside rock
    ledges, that had a conductor walking ahead of the train and inspecting the
    condition of the tracks.

  13. Elwood Blues

    Elwood Blues Guest

    Rikiarnie wrote:

    > I had planned on cycling from NYC to Montreal, and then returning by Amtrak. I
    > have now found out that there are no trains that will take bike. Any ideas out
    > there?

    UPS/Fed Ex should work - you just have to get a bike box and disassemble
    the bicycle

    --
    Elwood Blues

  14. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    Mike Vermeulen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > the train between San Luis Obispo and San Jose seemed to
    > allow unboxed

    Boy is that information way out of date. North of San Luis Obispo
    bikes *must* be boxed. From SLO southward the Surfliner takes roll-on
    (un-boxed) bikes, up to 8 per train. The difference is due to state
    participation in the Surfliner, which is considered a commuter train
    for SoCal.

    Also, since last fall *all* baggage pieces on Amtrak must be less than
    50 lbs; over 50 lbs and it does not get accepted - no exceptions
    (i.e., you can no longer pay an overweight fee and get the bag on).

    The Amtrak boxes are big - much bigger than your typical airline or
    LBS provided bike box, so less disassembly is needed.

    - rick

  15. >The Amtrak boxes are big - much bigger than your typical airline or
    >LBS provided bike box, so less disassembly is needed.

    The Amtrak boxes I've gotten are same size as airline boxes from
    United, Continental, Delta, etc. In both cases wheels stay on, but
    pedals are removed and handle bars turned.

    Boxes I got from Quantas were shorter and fatter than the other
    airline boxes.

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen