Bikes on Easy Jet

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Les Kennedy

Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off to the Alps with the bike. I fancy hiring a hard
shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet charge extra for carrying this ? Anyone any experiences
with Easy Jet ?

Thanks !

"les kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off to the Alps with the bike. I fancy hiring a hard
> shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet charge extra for carrying this ? Anyone any
> experiences with Easy Jet ?

No, if you search using google you will see that no-one here has ever taken a bike on easyjet.
Moreover, easyjet don't publish any information about baggage charges either. Basically, you're
on your own.

HTH,

James

In message <[email protected]>, James Annan
<[email protected]> writes
>"les kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off to the Alps with the bike. I fancy hiring a
>> hard shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet charge extra for carrying this ? Anyone any
>> experiences with Easy Jet ?
>
>No, if you search using google you will see that no-one here has ever taken a bike on easyjet.
>Moreover, easyjet don't publish any information about baggage charges either. Basically,
>you're on your

Ah I must have imagined these pages then............

<http://www.easyjet.com/EN/book/regulations.html>

<http://www.easyjet.com/EN/book/conditions.html>

Basically allowed one piece of check baggage upto 20kG.

Also one piece of sports equipment up to 10kg. If a bike is packed and can go on the conveyor. A
charge is liable if it require manual handling.

There are excess baggage charges if it takes you over the specified limit
--
Chris French, Leeds

> Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off to the Alps with the bike. I fancy hiring a hard
> shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet charge extra for carrying this ? Anyone any
>
> Thanks !

used easyjet to get back from inverness to luton (last minute booking; four days before) They were
really helpful, they suggested that we turn the bars round, let the tyres down and (i think) take
the pedals off. They offered to put the bikes on first (there were two) so that there would be no
problem with space....we didn't even get charged for them. Really helpful! I get the feeling it
depends on how busy they are...there was only one other bike and it was a midweek flight with a few
seats free....

good luck

MP MK UK

Just booked 29 of us onto easiJet in June for the Rome to the Dome ride. The lady was most helpful
when I explained about our little 1300 mile ride for charity and said that provided the bikes were
well packed (bag or box, it didn't matter) the airline would take them. When I said that we were
planning to take most of them overland anyway, it didn't seem to make much difference. I think she
wouldn't have been fazed if we were taking 29 bikes with us.

What she said is that we each have a 20kg hold baggage allowance and 5kg hand baggage, but the real
deal breaker for any cyclist must surely be that the airline also allows an additional 10kg for
"sports equipment", which covers - guess what? - bikes. Now I know that there are those of you out
there who wouldn't have any problems exceeding 10kg, but my Trek would just about come in under
that. Besides, if you lump the allowances together, you should be fine, after all just how much does
four pairs of cycling shorts and accompanying kit weigh? After all, we won't need much other
clothing with the time we'll be spending on the bikes.

Hope that helps clarify easiJet's policy. From what I've heard about a certain competitor, it seems
a whole lot better deal.

Good luck

Dennis Carver

news:[email protected]...
> Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off to the Alps with the
bike.
> I fancy hiring a hard shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet charge extra for carrying this ?
> Anyone any experiences with Easy Jet ?
>
> Thanks !

les kennedy <[email protected]> wrote:

>

Les,

your clubmate Dave Newby has just booked 8 of yours & his club onto an easyjet flight from Liverpool
to Majorca with bikes. you might want to speak to him.

Andy.

> No, if you search using google you will see that no-one here has ever taken a bike on easyjet.
> Moreover, easyjet don't publish any information about baggage charges either. Basically, you're on
> your own.

????? don't believe everything you read!!!

> HTH,
>
> James

Thanks Guys - good to hear from someone who has actually experienced Easy Jet - rules & regs are
another thing altogether !

Les

--

E-mail : [email protected] "MarkyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "les kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off to the Alps with the
bike.
> > I fancy hiring a hard shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet charge extra for carrying this
> > ? Anyone any experiences with Easy Jet ?
> >
> > Thanks !
>
> used easyjet to get back from inverness to luton (last minute booking; four days before) They were
> really helpful, they suggested that we turn the bars round, let the tyres down and (i think) take
> the pedals off. They offered to put the bikes on first (there were two) so that there would be no
> problem with space....we didn't even get charged for them. Really helpful! I get the feeling it
> depends on how busy they are...there was only one other bike and it was a midweek flight with a
> few seats free....
>
> good luck
>
> MP MK UK

"James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "les kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off to the Alps with the
bike.
> > I fancy hiring a hard shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet charge extra for carrying this
> > ? Anyone any experiences with Easy Jet ?
>
> No, if you search using google you will see that no-one here has ever taken a bike on easyjet.
> Moreover, easyjet don't publish any information about baggage charges either. Basically, you're on
> your own.
>
James, there is life outside virtuality. Not everyones life experiences are accessible via
Google....(Have you heard of the Matrix ?...it was a film, not real ;-)

> HTH,
Incredibly, not at all !
>
> James

Les, Dare I suggest the good old fashioned method of calling them (or maybe there's an online
enquiry system if you can't tear yourself away from your keyboard ;-), and finding out what their
view is. They will be able to let you know with regards to your specific circumstances such as time
of flight etc. Then, when you get to the check-in, you will know exactly what to expect without a
chance of - 'sorry sir, we can't take cycles due to the chances of the frames being packed with
explosives, following 9/11', or some such ridiculous surprise statement. And you'll have had the
info. from the horses mouth rather than from some well intentioned person from a ng who knows
someone who once heard...etcetc. (no offence peoples) Dave.

James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:
>No, if you search using google you will see that no-one here has ever taken a bike on easyjet.
>Moreover, easyjet don't publish any information about baggage charges either. Basically, you're on
>your own.

I see you score three dismal failures to detect sarcasm - on a uk.* newsgroup, no less.
Nicely done. :)
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?

"Dennis Carver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Just booked 29 of us onto easiJet in June for the Rome to the Dome ride. The lady was most helpful
> when I explained about our little 1300 mile ride for charity and said that provided the bikes were
> well packed (bag or box, it didn't matter) the airline would take them. When I said that we were
> planning to take most of them overland anyway, it didn't seem to make much difference. I think she
> wouldn't have been fazed if we were taking 29
bikes
> with us.
>
> What she said is that we each have a 20kg hold baggage allowance and 5kg hand baggage, but the
> real deal breaker for any cyclist must surely be
that
> the airline also allows an additional 10kg for "sports equipment", which covers - guess what? -
> bikes. Now I know that there are those of you out there who wouldn't have any problems exceeding
> 10kg, but my Trek would
just
> about come in under that. Besides, if you lump the allowances together, you should be fine, after
> all just how much does four pairs of cycling shorts and accompanying kit weigh? After all, we
> won't need much other clothing with the time we'll be spending on the bikes.
>
> Hope that helps clarify easiJet's policy. From what I've heard about a certain competitor, it
> seems a whole lot better deal.
>
> Good luck
>
> Dennis Carver
>
>
>
>

Buzz are ****. £15 each way. I presume that's who you mean?

> Thanks Guys - good to hear from someone who has actually experienced Easy Jet - rules & regs are
> another thing altogether !

I have sat above the loading door and seen some bikes go up the conveyor belt ...

No use? Ah well, I have read that they go for free.

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Dare I suggest the good old fashioned method of calling them

Snip

Good advice -- not least so they know there is a bike coming for the particular flight. I had my
wrists lightly slapped by BA just before Xmas because I hadn't called them to tell them I had an
'unusual' piece of baggage. (They took it without a whimper but I would clearly have got brownie
points if I had phoned ahead!!)

T

No personal experience but my brother has regularly flown easyjet and taken his bike from Liverpool
to Belfast and vice versa . His experience was entirely positive, helpful staff, no extra charge for
the bike (never weighed), bike wheeled into the plane last, out first. As previously mentioned on
this thread, tyres had to be let down a bit,but that was all, no turning of bars or removal of
pedals. Two schools of thought on "to box, or not to box", if the airline demands it (not easyjet)
you've obviously no choice. Trouble is, a boxed bike becomes just another piece of luggage and
subject to the same abuse as other cases and unless your chosen box is very solid the bike can still
be damaged. If you leave it unboxed but with the exposed and vulnerable bits protected, then it is
still obviously a bike and *generally* gets treated with a bit more respect. Enjoy the Alps! pete

OnTue, 14 Jan 2003 20:27:45 +0000, [email protected] (Andrew Templeman) perspired gently
and wrote:

<>les kennedy <[email protected]> wrote: <> <>> Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off
to the Alps with the bike. <>> I fancy hiring a hard shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet
charge <>> extra for carrying this ? Anyone any experiences with Easy Jet ? <>> <> <>Les, <> <>your
clubmate Dave Newby has just booked 8 of yours & his club onto an <>easyjet flight from Liverpool to
Majorca with bikes. you might want to <>speak to him. <> <>Andy.

We ( 6 bods) are off to Majorca in April and still in the throes whether to hire bikes there or take
our own. Would love to know arrangements/costs Dave Newby had with Easyjet

Mike
- - - - Mike Peters

[email protected] Drop the DROPME to reply by Email

Status
Not open for further replies.