Bikes on Easy Jet

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Les Kennedy, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Les Kennedy

    Les Kennedy Guest

    Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off to the Alps with the bike. I fancy hiring a hard
    shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet charge extra for carrying this ? Anyone any experiences
    with Easy Jet ?

    Thanks !

    Tags:

  2. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    "les kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off to the Alps with the bike. I fancy hiring a hard
    > shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet charge extra for carrying this ? Anyone any
    > experiences with Easy Jet ?

    No, if you search using google you will see that no-one here has ever taken a bike on easyjet.
    Moreover, easyjet don't publish any information about baggage charges either. Basically, you're
    on your own.

    HTH,

    James

  3. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, James Annan
    <[email protected]> writes
    >"les kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off to the Alps with the bike. I fancy hiring a
    >> hard shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet charge extra for carrying this ? Anyone any
    >> experiences with Easy Jet ?
    >
    >No, if you search using google you will see that no-one here has ever taken a bike on easyjet.
    >Moreover, easyjet don't publish any information about baggage charges either. Basically,
    >you're on your

    Ah I must have imagined these pages then............

    <http://www.easyjet.com/EN/book/regulations.html>

    <http://www.easyjet.com/EN/book/conditions.html>

    Basically allowed one piece of check baggage upto 20kG.

    Also one piece of sports equipment up to 10kg. If a bike is packed and can go on the conveyor. A
    charge is liable if it require manual handling.

    There are excess baggage charges if it takes you over the specified limit
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  4. Markyp

    Markyp Guest

    "les kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off to the Alps with the bike. I fancy hiring a hard
    > shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet charge extra for carrying this ? Anyone any
    > experiences with Easy Jet ?
    >
    > Thanks !

    used easyjet to get back from inverness to luton (last minute booking; four days before) They were
    really helpful, they suggested that we turn the bars round, let the tyres down and (i think) take
    the pedals off. They offered to put the bikes on first (there were two) so that there would be no
    problem with space....we didn't even get charged for them. Really helpful! I get the feeling it
    depends on how busy they are...there was only one other bike and it was a midweek flight with a few
    seats free....

    good luck

    MP MK UK

  5. Just booked 29 of us onto easiJet in June for the Rome to the Dome ride. The lady was most helpful
    when I explained about our little 1300 mile ride for charity and said that provided the bikes were
    well packed (bag or box, it didn't matter) the airline would take them. When I said that we were
    planning to take most of them overland anyway, it didn't seem to make much difference. I think she
    wouldn't have been fazed if we were taking 29 bikes with us.

    What she said is that we each have a 20kg hold baggage allowance and 5kg hand baggage, but the real
    deal breaker for any cyclist must surely be that the airline also allows an additional 10kg for
    "sports equipment", which covers - guess what? - bikes. Now I know that there are those of you out
    there who wouldn't have any problems exceeding 10kg, but my Trek would just about come in under
    that. Besides, if you lump the allowances together, you should be fine, after all just how much does
    four pairs of cycling shorts and accompanying kit weigh? After all, we won't need much other
    clothing with the time we'll be spending on the bikes.

    Hope that helps clarify easiJet's policy. From what I've heard about a certain competitor, it seems
    a whole lot better deal.

    Good luck

    Dennis Carver

  6. les kennedy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off to the Alps with the bike. I fancy hiring a hard
    > shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet charge extra for carrying this ? Anyone any
    > experiences with Easy Jet ?

    Les,

    your clubmate Dave Newby has just booked 8 of yours & his club onto an easyjet flight from Liverpool
    to Majorca with bikes. you might want to speak to him.

    Andy.

  7. Markyp

    Markyp Guest

    > No, if you search using google you will see that no-one here has ever taken a bike on easyjet.
    > Moreover, easyjet don't publish any information about baggage charges either. Basically, you're on
    > your own.

    ????? don't believe everything you read!!!

    > HTH,
    >
    > James

  8. Les Kennedy

    Les Kennedy Guest

    Thanks Guys - good to hear from someone who has actually experienced Easy Jet - rules & regs are
    another thing altogether !

    Les

    --

    E-mail : [email protected] "MarkyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "les kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off to the Alps with the
    bike.
    > > I fancy hiring a hard shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet charge extra for carrying this
    > > ? Anyone any experiences with Easy Jet ?
    > >
    > > Thanks !
    >
    > used easyjet to get back from inverness to luton (last minute booking; four days before) They were
    > really helpful, they suggested that we turn the bars round, let the tyres down and (i think) take
    > the pedals off. They offered to put the bikes on first (there were two) so that there would be no
    > problem with space....we didn't even get charged for them. Really helpful! I get the feeling it
    > depends on how busy they are...there was only one other bike and it was a midweek flight with a
    > few seats free....
    >
    > good luck
    >
    > MP MK UK

  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "les kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off to the Alps with the
    bike.
    > > I fancy hiring a hard shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet charge extra for carrying this
    > > ? Anyone any experiences with Easy Jet ?
    >
    > No, if you search using google you will see that no-one here has ever taken a bike on easyjet.
    > Moreover, easyjet don't publish any information about baggage charges either. Basically, you're on
    > your own.

    James, there is life outside virtuality. Not everyones life experiences are accessible via
    Google....(Have you heard of the Matrix ?...it was a film, not real ;-)

    > HTH,
    Incredibly, not at all !

    > James

    Les, Dare I suggest the good old fashioned method of calling them (or maybe there's an online
    enquiry system if you can't tear yourself away from your keyboard ;-), and finding out what their
    view is. They will be able to let you know with regards to your specific circumstances such as time
    of flight etc. Then, when you get to the check-in, you will know exactly what to expect without a
    chance of - 'sorry sir, we can't take cycles due to the chances of the frames being packed with
    explosives, following 9/11', or some such ridiculous surprise statement. And you'll have had the
    info. from the horses mouth rather than from some well intentioned person from a ng who knows
    someone who once heard...etcetc. (no offence peoples) Dave.

  10. James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >No, if you search using google you will see that no-one here has ever taken a bike on easyjet.
    >Moreover, easyjet don't publish any information about baggage charges either. Basically, you're on
    >your own.

    I see you score three dismal failures to detect sarcasm - on a uk.* newsgroup, no less.
    Nicely done. :)

  11. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Dennis Carver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just booked 29 of us onto easiJet in June for the Rome to the Dome ride. The lady was most helpful
    > when I explained about our little 1300 mile ride for charity and said that provided the bikes were
    > well packed (bag or box, it didn't matter) the airline would take them. When I said that we were
    > planning to take most of them overland anyway, it didn't seem to make much difference. I think she
    > wouldn't have been fazed if we were taking 29
    bikes
    > with us.
    >
    > What she said is that we each have a 20kg hold baggage allowance and 5kg hand baggage, but the
    > real deal breaker for any cyclist must surely be
    that
    > the airline also allows an additional 10kg for "sports equipment", which covers - guess what? -
    > bikes. Now I know that there are those of you out there who wouldn't have any problems exceeding
    > 10kg, but my Trek would
    just
    > about come in under that. Besides, if you lump the allowances together, you should be fine, after
    > all just how much does four pairs of cycling shorts and accompanying kit weigh? After all, we
    > won't need much other clothing with the time we'll be spending on the bikes.
    >
    > Hope that helps clarify easiJet's policy. From what I've heard about a certain competitor, it
    > seems a whole lot better deal.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Dennis Carver

    Buzz are crap. £15 each way. I presume that's who you mean?

  12. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  13. W K

    W K Guest

    "les kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks Guys - good to hear from someone who has actually experienced Easy Jet - rules & regs are
    > another thing altogether !

    I have sat above the loading door and seen some bikes go up the conveyor belt ...

    No use? Ah well, I have read that they go for free.

  14. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Dare I suggest the good old fashioned method of calling them

    Snip

    Good advice -- not least so they know there is a bike coming for the particular flight. I had my
    wrists lightly slapped by BA just before Xmas because I hadn't called them to tell them I had an
    'unusual' piece of baggage. (They took it without a whimper but I would clearly have got brownie
    points if I had phoned ahead!!)

  15. Peter Heys

    Peter Heys Guest

    No personal experience but my brother has regularly flown easyjet and taken his bike from Liverpool
    to Belfast and vice versa . His experience was entirely positive, helpful staff, no extra charge for
    the bike (never weighed), bike wheeled into the plane last, out first. As previously mentioned on
    this thread, tyres had to be let down a bit,but that was all, no turning of bars or removal of
    pedals. Two schools of thought on "to box, or not to box", if the airline demands it (not easyjet)
    you've obviously no choice. Trouble is, a boxed bike becomes just another piece of luggage and
    subject to the same abuse as other cases and unless your chosen box is very solid the bike can still
    be damaged. If you leave it unboxed but with the exposed and vulnerable bits protected, then it is
    still obviously a bike and *generally* gets treated with a bit more respect. Enjoy the Alps! pete

  16. Mike

    Mike Guest

    OnTue, 14 Jan 2003 20:27:45 +0000, [email protected] (Andrew Templeman) perspired gently
    and wrote:

    <>les kennedy <[email protected]> wrote: <> <>> Well, I've booked my ticket for July, so it's off
    to the Alps with the bike. <>> I fancy hiring a hard shell carrier to protect it - will Easy Jet
    charge <>> extra for carrying this ? Anyone any experiences with Easy Jet ? <>> <> <>Les, <> <>your
    clubmate Dave Newby has just booked 8 of yours & his club onto an <>easyjet flight from Liverpool to
    Majorca with bikes. you might want to <>speak to him. <> <>Andy.

    We ( 6 bods) are off to Majorca in April and still in the throes whether to hire bikes there or take
    our own. Would love to know arrangements/costs Dave Newby had with Easyjet

    Mike
    - - - - Mike Peters

    [email protected] Drop the DROPME to reply by Email