Bikes on NY subways

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bruce Gilbert, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. Our daughter just moved to Brooklyn and does not have a car. She may want to
    ride in Central Park or up 9W with friends. Does anyone know if you can take
    a bike on the NYC subways?

    Does anyone on this group ever ride in Prospect Park? What is it like?

    Please forgive the cross-posting...

    TIA

    Bruce

    Tags:

  2. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    Yes. See http://www.mta.info/nyct/safety/bike/index.html

    >Does anyone on this group ever ride in Prospect Park? What is it like?

    I've never been there, but it's reportedly popular. The park's
    off-limits to cars most of the time. Here's the posted rules for
    bikes in the park:

    http://www.prospectpark.org/general/main.cfm?target=safety#bicycle

    Whether it will be enjoyable requires a subjective assessment.

    Hope that helps.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  3. Thanks!

    Are you from Houston, I wonder?

    "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:52:09 GMT, "Bruce Gilbert"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Our daughter just moved to Brooklyn and does not have a car. She may want

    > >ride in Central Park or up 9W with friends. Does anyone know if you can

    take
    > >a bike on the NYC subways?

    > Yes. See http://www.mta.info/nyct/safety/bike/index.html
    >
    > >Does anyone on this group ever ride in Prospect Park? What is it like?

    > I've never been there, but it's reportedly popular. The park's
    > off-limits to cars most of the time. Here's the posted rules for
    > bikes in the park:
    >
    > http://www.prospectpark.org/general/main.cfm?target=safety#bicycle
    >
    > Whether it will be enjoyable requires a subjective assessment.
    >
    > Hope that helps.
    > --
    > Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    > Some gardening required to reply via email.
    > Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  4. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 01:26:35 GMT, "Bruce Gilbert"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks!
    >
    >Are you from Houston, I wonder?

    I believe we've met. Is John Moore still trying to keep the old
    Hal-PC BBS running?
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  5. I guess he is.
    HAL has grown into a bigger thing than years ago.

    Where are you now?

  6. Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    > Our daughter just moved to Brooklyn and does not have a car. She may want to
    > ride in Central Park or up 9W with friends. Does anyone know if you can take
    > a bike on the NYC subways?
    >
    > Does anyone on this group ever ride in Prospect Park? What is it like?
    >
    > Please forgive the cross-posting...
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Bruce

    I live 4 blocks from Prospect Park. I don't ride there often enough.
    I don't ride often enough! It's a 3.3 mi. loop, incl a 1/4 mi. hill.
    Not much, but she'll rarely lack for company if she's looking for it.

    Steve

  7. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    >> Our daughter just moved to Brooklyn and does not have a car. She may want
    >> ride in Central Park or up 9W with friends. Does anyone know if you can
    >> take
    >> a bike on the NYC subways?
    >>
    >> Does anyone on this group ever ride in Prospect Park? What is it like?
    >>
    >> Please forgive the cross-posting...
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Bruce

    > I live 4 blocks from Prospect Park. I don't ride there often enough. I
    > don't ride often enough! It's a 3.3 mi. loop, incl a 1/4 mi. hill. Not
    > much, but she'll rarely lack for company if she's looking for it.
    >
    > Steve

    This reminds me of a story Mineola Joe told in the lat 1970s on an LIBC
    ride. Pre-WWII Joe was riding in Prospect Park where some of the six day
    riders would train and/or warm up for rides elsewhere. One day Joe saw one
    of the American greats (Watlthar, Jr.??) and rode on his wheel from Prospect
    Park down to the end of Ocean Avenue (I think) just managing to stay on his
    wheel. At the turnaround, Joe was congratulated for hanging on and had an
    easier ride back to PP--by himself.

  8. B. Lafferty wrote:
    > "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    >>Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    >>
    >>>Our daughter just moved to Brooklyn and does not have a car. She may want
    >>>ride in Central Park or up 9W with friends. Does anyone know if you can
    >>>take
    >>>a bike on the NYC subways?
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone on this group ever ride in Prospect Park? What is it like?
    >>>
    >>>Please forgive the cross-posting...
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>Bruce

    >>I live 4 blocks from Prospect Park. I don't ride there often enough. I
    >>don't ride often enough! It's a 3.3 mi. loop, incl a 1/4 mi. hill. Not
    >>much, but she'll rarely lack for company if she's looking for it.
    >>
    >>Steve

    > This reminds me of a story Mineola Joe told in the lat 1970s on an LIBC
    > ride. Pre-WWII Joe was riding in Prospect Park where some of the six day
    > riders would train and/or warm up for rides elsewhere. One day Joe saw one
    > of the American greats (Watlthar, Jr.??) and rode on his wheel from Prospect
    > Park down to the end of Ocean Avenue (I think) just managing to stay on his
    > wheel. At the turnaround, Joe was congratulated for hanging on and had an
    > easier ride back to PP--by himself.

    Mineola probably continued to retell that story forever--but somehow I
    missed it. We'd hear repeatedly his stories about Francois Mertens and
    Arnie Uhrlass: "Dere's not a guy around today fit ta shine dere shoes!!"

    Steve

  9. Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    > Our daughter just moved to Brooklyn and does not have a car. She may want to
    > ride in Central Park or up 9W with friends. Does anyone know if you can take
    > a bike on the NYC subways?
    >
    > Does anyone on this group ever ride in Prospect Park? What is it like?
    >
    > Please forgive the cross-posting...
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Bruce

    Re: Prospect Park cycling--
    Your daughter may be able to check out some of us local miscreants here:

    Steve

  10. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > B. Lafferty wrote:
    >> "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>>I live 4 blocks from Prospect Park. I don't ride there often enough. I
    >>>don't ride often enough! It's a 3.3 mi. loop, incl a 1/4 mi. hill. Not
    >>>much, but she'll rarely lack for company if she's looking for it.
    >>>
    >>>Steve

    >> This reminds me of a story Mineola Joe told in the lat 1970s on an LIBC
    >> ride. Pre-WWII Joe was riding in Prospect Park where some of the six day
    >> riders would train and/or warm up for rides elsewhere. One day Joe saw
    >> one of the American greats (Watlthar, Jr.??) and rode on his wheel from
    >> Prospect Park down to the end of Ocean Avenue (I think) just managing to
    >> stay on his wheel. At the turnaround, Joe was congratulated for hanging
    >> on and had an easier ride back to PP--by himself.

    > Mineola probably continued to retell that story forever--but somehow I
    > missed it. We'd hear repeatedly his stories about Francois Mertens and
    > Arnie Uhrlass: "Dere's not a guy around today fit ta shine dere shoes!!"
    >
    > Steve

    We were all in the same club--German Bicycle Sport Club. They were long
    time members. I raced with Arnie but not Francois. Arnie was/is a really
    nice guy. Other club members would give him their flatted tubulars because
    nobody had the patience to repair them. He did, and as a result was always
    racing on excellent tubulars for free. This helped him a lot as he didn't
    make much money as a roofer and his wife and kids always came first. The
    only times I ever say Arnie become upset were when Billy sucked his wheel at
    Old Westbury and would come around him on the finishing hill.

  11. B. Lafferty wrote:
    > "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    >>B. Lafferty wrote:
    >>

    > We were all in the same club--German Bicycle Sport Club. They were long
    > time members. I raced with Arnie but not Francois. Arnie was/is a really
    > nice guy. Other club members would give him their flatted tubulars because
    > nobody had the patience to repair them. He did, and as a result was always
    > racing on excellent tubulars for free. This helped him a lot as he didn't
    > make much money as a roofer and his wife and kids always came first. The
    > only times I ever say Arnie become upset were when Billy sucked his wheel at
    > Old Westbury and would come around him on the finishing hill.

    Billy's sucked the highest quality rubber in his time. I never met
    either, but I saw Mertens ride a crit in New Haven maybe 25 years ago,
    and won his division. He was a rather striking-looking guy with his
    (then unfashionable) shaved head.
    Joe would say "Oylass had da legs; Moitens had da brains".

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  12. tispectrum

    tispectrum Guest

    Steve, according to my friend Barry Shapiro, Mertens still races. Goes to
    Florida in the winter and has a hip problem. Talking about Mineola Joe
    brings me back about 30 years when I used to ride with the LIBC.
    Get out and ride. You don't want to become an old, fat slug like me.:)

    news:[email protected]

  13. tispectrum wrote:

    > Steve, according to my friend Barry Shapiro, Mertens still races. Goes to
    > Florida in the winter and has a hip problem. Talking about Mineola Joe
    > brings me back about 30 years when I used to ride with the LIBC.
    > Get out and ride. You don't want to become an old, fat slug like me.:)

    Do I know you?
    I was president of the LIBC from '90-93. My first ride with the club
    was maybe Nov '81, when I was beaten up by Joe, Frank Morgan, and
    another speedskater guy whose name I've forgotten.
    The strong GBSC guys I remember (besides Billy) were John Rieger, Ken
    Kovatch, etc. We knew Bob Lambert somewhat, with his atom bottle. We
    also rode with Dominic Altamuro, Phil Ayvazian, Lorraine Valentini, Ron
    K, Lucy G, Bill Recht, Pam, Stu...
    A lot of memories. I work weekends and rarely ride anymore, but mostly
    because my daughter is young, and I'm with her on the weekend. I figure
    I've got 3 years or so before I can start going out on club rides again.
    I'm not fat, but I'm a slug.

    Steve

    > "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>B. Lafferty wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>We were all in the same club--German Bicycle Sport Club. They were long
    >>>time members. I raced with Arnie but not Francois. Arnie was/is a

    > really
    >
    >>>nice guy. Other club members would give him their flatted tubulars

    > because
    >
    >>>nobody had the patience to repair them. He did, and as a result was

    > always
    >
    >>>racing on excellent tubulars for free. This helped him a lot as he

    > didn't
    >
    >>>make much money as a roofer and his wife and kids always came first. The
    >>>only times I ever say Arnie become upset were when Billy sucked his

    > wheel at
    >
    >>>Old Westbury and would come around him on the finishing hill.
    >>>

    >>Billy's sucked the highest quality rubber in his time. I never met
    >>either, but I saw Mertens ride a crit in New Haven maybe 25 years ago,
    >>and won his division. He was a rather striking-looking guy with his
    >>(then unfashionable) shaved head.
    >>Joe would say "Oylass had da legs; Moitens had da brains".
    >>
    >>Steve
    >>

    >>--
    >>Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    >>http://www.dentaltwins.com
    >>Brooklyn, NY
    >>718-258-5001

    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com
    Brooklyn, NY
    718-258-5001

  14. I used to race with Barry, Bruce Marcus, Arnie, Francois, Sam Zeitlin,
    Jackie Simes, & Pete Senia. I was with Kissena from '65 to '73.

    I heard that Mertens still lives up in Connecticut.

    Recently heard that Sam died a couple of years ago.

    Rich Cohen has a shop in Deerfield Beach, Florida and is one of our dealers
    down there.

    Back when I lived in Flushing Eric Weingartner (German club) lived around
    the corner from us on 173rd street.

    Our daughter moved to Brooklyn and is in the orthodox community. Now she
    wants to ride her bike again. Steve was saying that Prospect Park is decent
    to ride in. It is only 2 miles from her home. No racing this time. Saturday
    is totally out of the question. However, now she is trying to figure out the
    clothing issue. Ankle length skirts are not going to work on the bike.

    Bruce

    "tispectrum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Steve, according to my friend Barry Shapiro, Mertens still races. Goes to
    > Florida in the winter and has a hip problem. Talking about Mineola Joe
    > brings me back about 30 years when I used to ride with the LIBC.
    > Get out and ride. You don't want to become an old, fat slug like me.:)
    >

    > "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > B. Lafferty wrote:
    > > > "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]

    > > > We were all in the same club--German Bicycle Sport Club. They were

    long
    > > > time members. I raced with Arnie but not Francois. Arnie was/is a

    > really
    > > > nice guy. Other club members would give him their flatted tubulars

    > because
    > > > nobody had the patience to repair them. He did, and as a result was

    > always
    > > > racing on excellent tubulars for free. This helped him a lot as he

    > didn't
    > > > make much money as a roofer and his wife and kids always came first.

    The
    > > > only times I ever say Arnie become upset were when Billy sucked his

    > wheel at
    > > > Old Westbury and would come around him on the finishing hill.
    > > >

    > > Billy's sucked the highest quality rubber in his time. I never met
    > > either, but I saw Mertens ride a crit in New Haven maybe 25 years ago,
    > > and won his division. He was a rather striking-looking guy with his
    > > (then unfashionable) shaved head.
    > > Joe would say "Oylass had da legs; Moitens had da brains".
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > > --
    > > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > > http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > > Brooklyn, NY
    > > 718-258-5001

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----

  15. Steve,
    We got Tirza (our daughter) riding when she was 11. The only real issue is
    frame size for the youngsters...

    Bruce

    news:p[email protected]

    News==----
    > > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+

    Newsgroups

    =----

    > --
    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > Brooklyn, NY
    > 718-258-5001

  16. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > tispectrum wrote:
    >
    >> Steve, according to my friend Barry Shapiro, Mertens still races. Goes
    >> Florida in the winter and has a hip problem. Talking about Mineola Joe
    >> brings me back about 30 years when I used to ride with the LIBC.
    >> Get out and ride. You don't want to become an old, fat slug like me.:)

    > Do I know you?
    > I was president of the LIBC from '90-93. My first ride with the club was
    > maybe Nov '81, when I was beaten up by Joe, Frank Morgan, and another
    > speedskater guy whose name I've forgotten.
    > The strong GBSC guys I remember (besides Billy) were John Rieger, Ken
    > Kovatch, etc. We knew Bob Lambert somewhat, with his atom bottle. We
    > also rode with Dominic Altamuro, Phil Ayvazian, Lorraine Valentini, Ron K,
    > Lucy G, Bill Recht, Pam, Stu...
    > A lot of memories. I work weekends and rarely ride anymore, but mostly
    > because my daughter is young, and I'm with her on the weekend. I figure
    > I've got 3 years or so before I can start going out on club rides again.
    > I'm not fat, but I'm a slug.
    >
    > Steve

    I stopped riding regularly with LIBC around the time you started. Thanks
    for the memories and making me feel old. :)
    Is Dominic's son riding? And did Stu Shackman ever recover fully from that
    horrible accident he had? Seen Ron Kahn lately?

  17. Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    > I used to race with Barry, Bruce Marcus, Arnie, Francois, Sam Zeitlin,
    > Jackie Simes, & Pete Senia. I was with Kissena from '65 to '73.

    Great names from the past. I only raced for Kissena one year ('86),
    right before Toefield got ill.
    Sam did indeed pass away, maybe the year before last. He went by me in
    a paceline in the park the Sunday before he died.

    > I heard that Mertens still lives up in Connecticut.
    >
    > Recently heard that Sam died a couple of years ago.
    >
    > Rich Cohen has a shop in Deerfield Beach, Florida and is one of our dealers
    > down there.
    >
    > Back when I lived in Flushing Eric Weingartner (German club) lived around
    > the corner from us on 173rd street.
    >
    > Our daughter moved to Brooklyn and is in the orthodox community. Now she
    > wants to ride her bike again. Steve was saying that Prospect Park is decent
    > to ride in. It is only 2 miles from her home. No racing this time. Saturday
    > is totally out of the question. However, now she is trying to figure out the
    > clothing issue. Ankle length skirts are not going to work on the bike.

    There was a 17 year old Lubovitcher girl (I think her name was Chaya)
    who rode with cycling shorts under a big billowing denim skirt. She
    hung out with some of the homeboyz in the park and told me her parents
    didn't understand her. I told her that at 17 they're not supposed to
    understand her. She'd sometimes see me riding on Shabbos and give me
    little surreptitious waves so none of her family would see. It may have
    slowed her down a bit, but she still managed.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  18. Bruce Gilbert wrote:

    > Steve,
    > We got Tirza (our daughter) riding when she was 11. The only real issue is
    > frame size for the youngsters...
    >
    > Bruce

    Lauren is 9. She wants to be a hollywood star. She has gone riding
    with me a couple of times, but I'm a big embarassment to her, as I tend
    to sing while riding. In a couple of years she won't want to have
    anything to do with me, I'm afraid.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  19. B. Lafferty wrote:

    > I stopped riding regularly with LIBC around the time you started. Thanks
    > for the memories and making me feel old. :)
    > Is Dominic's son riding? And did Stu Shackman ever recover fully from that
    > horrible accident he had? Seen Ron Kahn lately?

    I only met Dominic's son once--in Brand's. I don't know if he's a
    rider--never saw him ride. But his daughter Monica raced for a while.
    I don't remember the details of Stu's accident, but I remember he got
    cut up pretty bad once, had a lot of scar tissue on his neck--may have
    broken his collarbone. I was on a cycling trip with Stu and about 8
    others in the alps in '87--he certainly was able to ride fine, and climb
    better than I could. He's probably about 60, I'm sure he's retired, and
    AFAIK still married to this nice lady named Jane who rode with the
    Westchester CCC club.
    Speaking about accidents, I assume you heard about Lorraine Valentini:

    http://www.teamlorraine.org/

    Ron e-mailed me from out of the blue last week, after seeing something
    I'd posted to the Prospect Park Pelloton yahoo group. He said he was
    doing fine.
    I look forward to seeing some of those obnoxious SOBs in the
    not-too-distant future. ;-)

    Steve
    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  20. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:
    > Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    > > I used to race with Barry, Bruce Marcus, Arnie, Francois, Sam Zeitlin,
    > > Jackie Simes, & Pete Senia. I was with Kissena from '65 to '73.

    > Great names from the past. I only raced for Kissena one year ('86),
    > right before Toefield got ill.
    > Sam did indeed pass away, maybe the year before last. He went by me in
    > a paceline in the park the Sunday before he died.
    > >
    > > I heard that Mertens still lives up in Connecticut.
    > >
    > > Recently heard that Sam died a couple of years ago.
    > >
    > > Rich Cohen has a shop in Deerfield Beach, Florida and is one of our dealers
    > > down there.
    > >
    > > Back when I lived in Flushing Eric Weingartner (German club) lived around
    > > the corner from us on 173rd street.
    > >
    > > Our daughter moved to Brooklyn and is in the orthodox community. Now she
    > > wants to ride her bike again. Steve was saying that Prospect Park is decent
    > > to ride in. It is only 2 miles from her home. No racing this time. Saturday
    > > is totally out of the question. However, now she is trying to figure out the
    > > clothing issue. Ankle length skirts are not going to work on the bike.

    > There was a 17 year old Lubovitcher girl (I think her name was Chaya)
    > who rode with cycling shorts under a big billowing denim skirt. She
    > hung out with some of the homeboyz in the park and told me her parents
    > didn't understand her. I told her that at 17 they're not supposed to
    > understand her. She'd sometimes see me riding on Shabbos and give me
    > little surreptitious waves so none of her family would see. It may have
    > slowed her down a bit, but she still managed.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > --
    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > Brooklyn, NY
    > 718-258-5001

    There's a couple Hasidic guy-roadies I see pack riding periodically. I
    see orthodox women riding too, but cruising around leisurely on dept
    store bikes. She shouldn't have much trouble finding people who share
    her pace and interests to ride with.
    Prospect is a great place to ride. It'll make you stir crazy after a
    while, but it's close, convenient, sociable, and fine preparation for
    any of the other local rides (like 9W).

    Scott