Bikes on NY subways

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bruce Gilbert, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. Steve,

    Did Sam become a rabbi?

    I remember his family was really religious.

    From your comment, I assume he was still riding shortly before his death.

    Tirza is sort of a baal tshuvah type. Up until 3 years ago she was a tough
    competitor on the circuit. Now, well, we'll see... She wants to find a
    husband up there and then return to Houston to work for us in the business.
    Oh boy, that is going to work... Working the bike shows on Shabbat ain't
    going to happen. At least according the Israelis, our chain lube is good
    enough for a hecsher.

    I saw some nearly long womens pants on the Terry website that could work. At
    least we can buy wholesale from them. We gave them plenty of lube at the
    show.

    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids!

    Bruce

    "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    > > I used to race with Barry, Bruce Marcus, Arnie, Francois, Sam Zeitlin,
    > > Jackie Simes, & Pete Senia. I was with Kissena from '65 to '73.

    >
    > Great names from the past. I only raced for Kissena one year ('86),
    > right before Toefield got ill.
    > Sam did indeed pass away, maybe the year before last. He went by me in
    > a paceline in the park the Sunday before he died.
    > >
    > > I heard that Mertens still lives up in Connecticut.
    > >
    > > Recently heard that Sam died a couple of years ago.
    > >
    > > Rich Cohen has a shop in Deerfield Beach, Florida and is one of our

    dealers
    > > down there.
    > >
    > > Back when I lived in Flushing Eric Weingartner (German club) lived

    around
    > > the corner from us on 173rd street.
    > >
    > > Our daughter moved to Brooklyn and is in the orthodox community. Now she
    > > wants to ride her bike again. Steve was saying that Prospect Park is

    decent
    > > to ride in. It is only 2 miles from her home. No racing this time.

    Saturday
    > > is totally out of the question. However, now she is trying to figure out

    the
    > > clothing issue. Ankle length skirts are not going to work on the bike.

    >
    > There was a 17 year old Lubovitcher girl (I think her name was Chaya)
    > who rode with cycling shorts under a big billowing denim skirt. She
    > hung out with some of the homeboyz in the park and told me her parents
    > didn't understand her. I told her that at 17 they're not supposed to
    > understand her. She'd sometimes see me riding on Shabbos and give me
    > little surreptitious waves so none of her family would see. It may have
    > slowed her down a bit, but she still managed.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > --
    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > Brooklyn, NY
    > 718-258-5001
     


  2. Steve,

    You wouldn't believe the things we used to do to Tirza on training rides.
    Our just breathing embarrasses our daughters.


    "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    >
    > > Steve,
    > > We got Tirza (our daughter) riding when she was 11. The only real issue

    is
    > > frame size for the youngsters...
    > >
    > > Bruce

    >
    > Lauren is 9. She wants to be a hollywood star. She has gone riding
    > with me a couple of times, but I'm a big embarassment to her, as I tend
    > to sing while riding. In a couple of years she won't want to have
    > anything to do with me, I'm afraid.
    >
    > Steve
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >

    >
    >
    > --
    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > Brooklyn, NY
    > 718-258-5001
     
  3. "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:
    > > Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    > > > I used to race with Barry, Bruce Marcus, Arnie, Francois, Sam Zeitlin,
    > > > Jackie Simes, & Pete Senia. I was with Kissena from '65 to '73.

    > >
    > > Great names from the past. I only raced for Kissena one year ('86),
    > > right before Toefield got ill.
    > > Sam did indeed pass away, maybe the year before last. He went by me in
    > > a paceline in the park the Sunday before he died.
    > > >
    > > > I heard that Mertens still lives up in Connecticut.
    > > >
    > > > Recently heard that Sam died a couple of years ago.
    > > >
    > > > Rich Cohen has a shop in Deerfield Beach, Florida and is one of our

    dealers
    > > > down there.
    > > >
    > > > Back when I lived in Flushing Eric Weingartner (German club) lived

    around
    > > > the corner from us on 173rd street.
    > > >
    > > > Our daughter moved to Brooklyn and is in the orthodox community. Now

    she
    > > > wants to ride her bike again. Steve was saying that Prospect Park is

    decent
    > > > to ride in. It is only 2 miles from her home. No racing this time.

    Saturday
    > > > is totally out of the question. However, now she is trying to figure

    out the
    > > > clothing issue. Ankle length skirts are not going to work on the bike.

    > >
    > > There was a 17 year old Lubovitcher girl (I think her name was Chaya)
    > > who rode with cycling shorts under a big billowing denim skirt. She
    > > hung out with some of the homeboyz in the park and told me her parents
    > > didn't understand her. I told her that at 17 they're not supposed to
    > > understand her. She'd sometimes see me riding on Shabbos and give me
    > > little surreptitious waves so none of her family would see. It may have
    > > slowed her down a bit, but she still managed.
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > > http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > > Brooklyn, NY
    > > 718-258-5001

    >
    > There's a couple Hasidic guy-roadies I see pack riding periodically. I
    > see orthodox women riding too, but cruising around leisurely on dept
    > store bikes. She shouldn't have much trouble finding people who share
    > her pace and interests to ride with.
    > Prospect is a great place to ride. It'll make you stir crazy after a
    > while, but it's close, convenient, sociable, and fine preparation for
    > any of the other local rides (like 9W).
    >
    > Scott
    >


    In Houston we have Memorial Park which sounds like riding in Prospect Park
    up there. Tirza will probably start out doing easy laps giving out samples
    of our products. Just to think, by this time each year she used to have a
    solid 2000 miles from January 1.
    Hmmm let's see, do we pack up a 5500, a 2300, the Merckx or a ti bike for
    her... Parental decisions have never been harder. I just have to see about
    the clothing issue. There were some folks near us at Interbike that made
    these loose coolmax womens pants. I forget who they were.

    Bruce
     
  4. Bruce Gilbert wrote:

    > Steve,
    >
    > Did Sam become a rabbi?


    Not to my knowledge.
    >
    > I remember his family was really religious.


    Could be. I'd gotten the impression from others (perhaps Chuck
    Damsky?) that he was a bal t'shuvah. I met him about 1980, when he was
    very overweight, riding in the park. He wore a driver's cap, wool
    knickers and knee socks. He would ask me if I was jewish, if I were
    going to temple. He told me he was a nationals medalist; I thought he
    might be bullshitting me because I could ride him off my wheel on the
    hill (remember I was not 30 yet, and he clearly hadn't been riding). He
    would yell out "I CAN'T DO THIS!!! I'M BLOWING UP!!!" Chuck (who
    worked at Roy's and was a good Cat II then told me Sam was the real
    deal, had sprinted against guys like Disney in the early '60s.
    >
    > From your comment, I assume he was still riding shortly before his death.


    Like I said, the same week. Maybe the same day. He died suddenly.
    He'd had open heart surgery a couple of years before, and lost a lot of
    weight. He could ride quite well again. He even didn't scare me quite
    as much to ride next to. ;-)
    >
    > Tirza is sort of a baal tshuvah type. Up until 3 years ago she was a tough
    > competitor on the circuit. Now, well, we'll see... She wants to find a
    > husband up there and then return to Houston to work for us in the business.
    > Oh boy, that is going to work... Working the bike shows on Shabbat ain't
    > going to happen. At least according the Israelis, our chain lube is good
    > enough for a hecsher.


    I'd never heard that. What's OK, schmaltz?

    Steve
    >
    > I saw some nearly long womens pants on the Terry website that could work. At
    > least we can buy wholesale from them. We gave them plenty of lube at the
    > show.
    >
    > Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids!
    >
    > Bruce
    >
    > "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    >>
    >>>I used to race with Barry, Bruce Marcus, Arnie, Francois, Sam Zeitlin,
    >>>Jackie Simes, & Pete Senia. I was with Kissena from '65 to '73.

    >>
    >>Great names from the past. I only raced for Kissena one year ('86),
    >>right before Toefield got ill.
    >>Sam did indeed pass away, maybe the year before last. He went by me in
    >>a paceline in the park the Sunday before he died.
    >>
    >>>I heard that Mertens still lives up in Connecticut.
    >>>
    >>>Recently heard that Sam died a couple of years ago.
    >>>
    >>>Rich Cohen has a shop in Deerfield Beach, Florida and is one of our

    >
    > dealers
    >
    >>>down there.
    >>>
    >>>Back when I lived in Flushing Eric Weingartner (German club) lived

    >
    > around
    >
    >>>the corner from us on 173rd street.
    >>>
    >>>Our daughter moved to Brooklyn and is in the orthodox community. Now she
    >>>wants to ride her bike again. Steve was saying that Prospect Park is

    >
    > decent
    >
    >>>to ride in. It is only 2 miles from her home. No racing this time.

    >
    > Saturday
    >
    >>>is totally out of the question. However, now she is trying to figure out

    >
    > the
    >
    >>>clothing issue. Ankle length skirts are not going to work on the bike.

    >>
    >>There was a 17 year old Lubovitcher girl (I think her name was Chaya)
    >>who rode with cycling shorts under a big billowing denim skirt. She
    >>hung out with some of the homeboyz in the park and told me her parents
    >>didn't understand her. I told her that at 17 they're not supposed to
    >>understand her. She'd sometimes see me riding on Shabbos and give me
    >>little surreptitious waves so none of her family would see. It may have
    >>slowed her down a bit, but she still managed.
    >>
    >>Steve
    >>
    >>--
    >>Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    >>http://www.dentaltwins.com
    >>Brooklyn, NY
    >>718-258-5001

    >
    >
    >



    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com
    Brooklyn, NY
    718-258-5001
     
  5. Bruce Gilbert wrote:

    > Steve,
    >
    > You wouldn't believe the things we used to do to Tirza on training rides.
    > Our just breathing embarrasses our daughters.


    Mine will have plenty to talk about in therapy.

    Steve
    >



    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com
    Brooklyn, NY
    718-258-5001
     
  6. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    > "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:
    > > > Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    > > > > I used to race with Barry, Bruce Marcus, Arnie, Francois, Sam Zeitlin,
    > > > > Jackie Simes, & Pete Senia. I was with Kissena from '65 to '73.
    > > >
    > > > Great names from the past. I only raced for Kissena one year ('86),
    > > > right before Toefield got ill.
    > > > Sam did indeed pass away, maybe the year before last. He went by me in
    > > > a paceline in the park the Sunday before he died.
    > > > >
    > > > > I heard that Mertens still lives up in Connecticut.
    > > > >
    > > > > Recently heard that Sam died a couple of years ago.
    > > > >
    > > > > Rich Cohen has a shop in Deerfield Beach, Florida and is one of our

    > dealers
    > > > > down there.
    > > > >
    > > > > Back when I lived in Flushing Eric Weingartner (German club) lived

    > around
    > > > > the corner from us on 173rd street.
    > > > >
    > > > > Our daughter moved to Brooklyn and is in the orthodox community. Now

    > she
    > > > > wants to ride her bike again. Steve was saying that Prospect Park is

    > decent
    > > > > to ride in. It is only 2 miles from her home. No racing this time.

    > Saturday
    > > > > is totally out of the question. However, now she is trying to figure

    > out the
    > > > > clothing issue. Ankle length skirts are not going to work on the bike.
    > > >
    > > > There was a 17 year old Lubovitcher girl (I think her name was Chaya)
    > > > who rode with cycling shorts under a big billowing denim skirt. She
    > > > hung out with some of the homeboyz in the park and told me her parents
    > > > didn't understand her. I told her that at 17 they're not supposed to
    > > > understand her. She'd sometimes see me riding on Shabbos and give me
    > > > little surreptitious waves so none of her family would see. It may have
    > > > slowed her down a bit, but she still managed.
    > > >
    > > > Steve
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > > > http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > > > Brooklyn, NY
    > > > 718-258-5001

    > >
    > > There's a couple Hasidic guy-roadies I see pack riding periodically. I
    > > see orthodox women riding too, but cruising around leisurely on dept
    > > store bikes. She shouldn't have much trouble finding people who share
    > > her pace and interests to ride with.
    > > Prospect is a great place to ride. It'll make you stir crazy after a
    > > while, but it's close, convenient, sociable, and fine preparation for
    > > any of the other local rides (like 9W).
    > >
    > > Scott
    > >

    >
    > In Houston we have Memorial Park which sounds like riding in Prospect Park
    > up there. Tirza will probably start out doing easy laps giving out samples
    > of our products. Just to think, by this time each year she used to have a
    > solid 2000 miles from January 1.
    > Hmmm let's see, do we pack up a 5500, a 2300, the Merckx or a ti bike for
    > her... Parental decisions have never been harder. I just have to see about
    > the clothing issue. There were some folks near us at Interbike that made
    > these loose coolmax womens pants. I forget who they were.
    >
    > Bruce


    A Frummy on a Merckx? Dime a dozen up here ;^)
    I've got a Lubovicher aunt who hits her local gym. I'll ask her where
    women get modest workout clothing. Maybe she'll start a trend....
    /s
     
  7. "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    >
    > > Steve,
    > >
    > > Did Sam become a rabbi?

    >
    > Not to my knowledge.
    > >
    > > I remember his family was really religious.

    >
    > Could be. I'd gotten the impression from others (perhaps Chuck
    > Damsky?) that he was a bal t'shuvah. I met him about 1980, when he was
    > very overweight, riding in the park. He wore a driver's cap, wool
    > knickers and knee socks. He would ask me if I was jewish, if I were
    > going to temple. He told me he was a nationals medalist; I thought he
    > might be bullshitting me because I could ride him off my wheel on the
    > hill (remember I was not 30 yet, and he clearly hadn't been riding). He
    > would yell out "I CAN'T DO THIS!!! I'M BLOWING UP!!!" Chuck (who
    > worked at Roy's and was a good Cat II then told me Sam was the real
    > deal, had sprinted against guys like Disney in the early '60s.


    Sam had the kind of body that was probably prone to putting on weight. He
    had the most amazing legs. They looked out of proportion large for the rest
    of him.

    I can still see him now, at the Kissena track with his light blue AS Gillot
    track bike.... I believe I remember he had a matching road bike as well.

    Speaking of old road bikes, Mertens and Uhrlas had these beautiful OK road
    bikes from Belgium. I think they were the first lugless steel frames made.
    John Puettner had one also, only it was for the track.



    > >
    > > From your comment, I assume he was still riding shortly before his

    death.
    >
    > Like I said, the same week. Maybe the same day. He died suddenly.
    > He'd had open heart surgery a couple of years before, and lost a lot of
    > weight. He could ride quite well again. He even didn't scare me quite
    > as much to ride next to. ;-)
    > >
    > > Tirza is sort of a baal tshuvah type. Up until 3 years ago she was a

    tough
    > > competitor on the circuit. Now, well, we'll see... She wants to find a
    > > husband up there and then return to Houston to work for us in the

    business.
    > > Oh boy, that is going to work... Working the bike shows on Shabbat ain't
    > > going to happen. At least according the Israelis, our chain lube is good
    > > enough for a hecsher.

    >
    > I'd never heard that. What's OK, schmaltz?
    >
    > Steve
     
  8. >
    > A Frummy on a Merckx? Dime a dozen up here ;^)
    > I've got a Lubovicher aunt who hits her local gym. I'll ask her where
    > women get modest workout clothing. Maybe she'll start a trend....
    > /s
    >


    It's one of the old Motorola bikes I brought home.

    New York in the summer is not the challenge with the sneaz clothing. Houston
    is going to be a real killer. Next to New Orleans, this is the worst weather
    in the country. I don't even want to think about 60 miles in July or August.
    It is painful even to think of. There are lots of jersey companies that make
    stuff too dense for us to use down here. I really dread her being all
    covered up in black...

    Bruce
     
  9. tispectrum

    tispectrum Guest

    "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <bornfe[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > tispectrum wrote:
    >
    > > Steve, according to my friend Barry Shapiro, Mertens still races. Goes

    to
    > > Florida in the winter and has a hip problem. Talking about Mineola Joe
    > > brings me back about 30 years when I used to ride with the LIBC.
    > > Get out and ride. You don't want to become an old, fat slug like me.:)

    >
    >
    >
    > Do I know you?
    > I was president of the LIBC from '90-93. My first ride with the club
    > was maybe Nov '81, when I was beaten up by Joe, Frank Morgan, and
    > another speedskater guy whose name I've forgotten.
    > The strong GBSC guys I remember (besides Billy) were John Rieger, Ken
    > Kovatch, etc. We knew Bob Lambert somewhat, with his atom bottle. We
    > also rode with Dominic Altamuro, Phil Ayvazian, Lorraine Valentini, Ron
    > K, Lucy G, Bill Recht, Pam, Stu...
    > A lot of memories. I work weekends and rarely ride anymore, but mostly
    > because my daughter is young, and I'm with her on the weekend. I figure
    > I've got 3 years or so before I can start going out on club rides again.
    > I'm not fat, but I'm a slug.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >>B. Lafferty wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>"Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>>news:[email protected]
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>>B. Lafferty wrote:
    > >>>>
    > >>
    > >>>
    > >>>We were all in the same club--German Bicycle Sport Club. They were

    long
    > >>>time members. I raced with Arnie but not Francois. Arnie was/is a

    > >
    > > really
    > >
    > >>>nice guy. Other club members would give him their flatted tubulars

    > >
    > > because
    > >
    > >>>nobody had the patience to repair them. He did, and as a result was

    > >
    > > always
    > >
    > >>>racing on excellent tubulars for free. This helped him a lot as he

    > >
    > > didn't
    > >
    > >>>make much money as a roofer and his wife and kids always came first.

    The
    > >>>only times I ever say Arnie become upset were when Billy sucked his

    > >
    > > wheel at
    > >
    > >>>Old Westbury and would come around him on the finishing hill.
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>
    > >>Billy's sucked the highest quality rubber in his time. I never met
    > >>either, but I saw Mertens ride a crit in New Haven maybe 25 years ago,
    > >>and won his division. He was a rather striking-looking guy with his
    > >>(then unfashionable) shaved head.
    > >>Joe would say "Oylass had da legs; Moitens had da brains".
    > >>
    > >>Steve
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > >>http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > >>Brooklyn, NY
    > >>718-258-5001

    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet

    News==----
    > > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+

    Newsgroups
    > > ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

    =----
    >
    >
    > --
    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > Brooklyn, NY
    > 718-258-5001
    >




    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
     
  10. tispectrum

    tispectrum Guest

    You know me, Herb Dershowitz

    Are you aware of what happened to Lorraine?


    "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > tispectrum wrote:
    >
    > > Steve, according to my friend Barry Shapiro, Mertens still races. Goes

    to
    > > Florida in the winter and has a hip problem. Talking about Mineola Joe
    > > brings me back about 30 years when I used to ride with the LIBC.
    > > Get out and ride. You don't want to become an old, fat slug like me.:)

    >
    >
    >
    > Do I know you?
    > I was president of the LIBC from '90-93. My first ride with the club
    > was maybe Nov '81, when I was beaten up by Joe, Frank Morgan, and
    > another speedskater guy whose name I've forgotten.
    > The strong GBSC guys I remember (besides Billy) were John Rieger, Ken
    > Kovatch, etc. We knew Bob Lambert somewhat, with his atom bottle. We
    > also rode with Dominic Altamuro, Phil Ayvazian, Lorraine Valentini, Ron
    > K, Lucy G, Bill Recht, Pam, Stu...
    > A lot of memories. I work weekends and rarely ride anymore, but mostly
    > because my daughter is young, and I'm with her on the weekend. I figure
    > I've got 3 years or so before I can start going out on club rides again.
    > I'm not fat, but I'm a slug.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >>B. Lafferty wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>"Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>>news:[email protected]
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>>B. Lafferty wrote:
    > >>>>
    > >>
    > >>>
    > >>>We were all in the same club--German Bicycle Sport Club. They were

    long
    > >>>time members. I raced with Arnie but not Francois. Arnie was/is a

    > >
    > > really
    > >
    > >>>nice guy. Other club members would give him their flatted tubulars

    > >
    > > because
    > >
    > >>>nobody had the patience to repair them. He did, and as a result was

    > >
    > > always
    > >
    > >>>racing on excellent tubulars for free. This helped him a lot as he

    > >
    > > didn't
    > >
    > >>>make much money as a roofer and his wife and kids always came first.

    The
    > >>>only times I ever say Arnie become upset were when Billy sucked his

    > >
    > > wheel at
    > >
    > >>>Old Westbury and would come around him on the finishing hill.
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>
    > >>Billy's sucked the highest quality rubber in his time. I never met
    > >>either, but I saw Mertens ride a crit in New Haven maybe 25 years ago,
    > >>and won his division. He was a rather striking-looking guy with his
    > >>(then unfashionable) shaved head.
    > >>Joe would say "Oylass had da legs; Moitens had da brains".
    > >>
    > >>Steve
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > >>http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > >>Brooklyn, NY
    > >>718-258-5001

    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet

    News==----
    > > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+

    Newsgroups
    > > ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

    =----
    >
    >
    > --
    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > Brooklyn, NY
    > 718-258-5001
    >




    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
     
  11. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    > >
    > > A Frummy on a Merckx? Dime a dozen up here ;^)
    > > I've got a Lubovicher aunt who hits her local gym. I'll ask her where
    > > women get modest workout clothing. Maybe she'll start a trend....
    > > /s
    > >

    >
    > It's one of the old Motorola bikes I brought home.
    >
    > New York in the summer is not the challenge with the sneaz clothing. Houston
    > is going to be a real killer. Next to New Orleans, this is the worst weather
    > in the country. I don't even want to think about 60 miles in July or August.
    > It is painful even to think of. There are lots of jersey companies that make
    > stuff too dense for us to use down here. I really dread her being all
    > covered up in black...
    >
    > Bruce


    Don't worry. They have some secret air or liquid cooling system in
    their clothes. How else can the men walk around in black 3pc polyester
    suits and wide brimmed black hats during the middle of the summer?
    There's something going on there. There's... just... gotta... be....

    /s
     
  12. tispectrum

    tispectrum Guest

    I saw Stu and his wife riding during the Golden Apple ride 2 years ago. Ron
    Kahn I see during the races I moto pace in Central Park and up in Mass.
    during Memorial weekend with the NYCC.


    "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > B. Lafferty wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > I stopped riding regularly with LIBC around the time you started.

    Thanks
    > > for the memories and making me feel old. :)
    > > Is Dominic's son riding? And did Stu Shackman ever recover fully from

    that
    > > horrible accident he had? Seen Ron Kahn lately?
    > >
    > >

    >
    > I only met Dominic's son once--in Brand's. I don't know if he's a
    > rider--never saw him ride. But his daughter Monica raced for a while.
    > I don't remember the details of Stu's accident, but I remember he got
    > cut up pretty bad once, had a lot of scar tissue on his neck--may have
    > broken his collarbone. I was on a cycling trip with Stu and about 8
    > others in the alps in '87--he certainly was able to ride fine, and climb
    > better than I could. He's probably about 60, I'm sure he's retired, and
    > AFAIK still married to this nice lady named Jane who rode with the
    > Westchester CCC club.
    > Speaking about accidents, I assume you heard about Lorraine Valentini:
    >
    > http://www.teamlorraine.org/
    >
    > Ron e-mailed me from out of the blue last week, after seeing something
    > I'd posted to the Prospect Park Pelloton yahoo group. He said he was
    > doing fine.
    > I look forward to seeing some of those obnoxious SOBs in the
    > not-too-distant future. ;-)
    >
    > Steve
    > --
    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > Brooklyn, NY
    > 718-258-5001




    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
     
  13. "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    > > >
    > > > A Frummy on a Merckx? Dime a dozen up here ;^)
    > > > I've got a Lubovicher aunt who hits her local gym. I'll ask her where
    > > > women get modest workout clothing. Maybe she'll start a trend....
    > > > /s
    > > >

    > >
    > > It's one of the old Motorola bikes I brought home.
    > >
    > > New York in the summer is not the challenge with the sneaz clothing.

    Houston
    > > is going to be a real killer. Next to New Orleans, this is the worst

    weather
    > > in the country. I don't even want to think about 60 miles in July or

    August.
    > > It is painful even to think of. There are lots of jersey companies that

    make
    > > stuff too dense for us to use down here. I really dread her being all
    > > covered up in black...
    > >
    > > Bruce

    >
    > Don't worry. They have some secret air or liquid cooling system in
    > their clothes. How else can the men walk around in black 3pc polyester
    > suits and wide brimmed black hats during the middle of the summer?
    > There's something going on there. There's... just... gotta... be....
    >
    > /s
    >

    Scott,

    Down here in Bayou City (Houston), we have found the answer! They have a
    special Frumm Gland. It puts out a distinct hormone that is synthesized
    into tikkun olam ointment which allows them to withstand any degree of heat,
    humidity or fashion failure. You can always tell the hard core ones. They
    never go anywhere without a block of freeze-dried cholent in their pockets.
    Beats the heck out of Powerbars...

    Bruce
     
  14. Per Bruce Gilbert:
    >Frumm


    ?

    I keep hearing the word, but can't find it in my Webster's. From context,
    sounds like something to do with orthodoxy or ultra-orthodoxy...

    Tangentially, I recall skimming a mag article some months ago about a cargo cult
    in the South Pacific whose adherents worshipped "John Frum" or "John Frumm"...
    can't recall.
    --
    PeteCresswell
     
  15. tispectrum wrote:

    > You know me, Herb Dershowitz
    >
    > Are you aware of what happened to Lorraine?


    Hi Herb--

    No details, except that she had a severe spinal cord injury, is
    apparently a quadraplegic. I don't know the exact circumstances of her
    fall, but I don't think she was taken down by anyone else--I think it
    was just a freak thing. You saw the website?

    http://www.teamlorraine.org/

    Just awful.

    Steve
    >


    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com
    Brooklyn, NY
    718-258-5001
     
  16. tispectrum wrote:

    > I saw Stu and his wife riding during the Golden Apple ride 2 years ago. Ron
    > Kahn I see during the races I moto pace in Central Park and up in Mass.
    > during Memorial weekend with the NYCC.


    Geez. You guys still going to Sheffield?
    Good to hear Stu's still riding. Ron actually had given me the
    impression (years ago) that Stu had quit.

    Steve
    >

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com
    Brooklyn, NY
    718-258-5001
     
  17. Pete,

    The word frumm basically means religiously and traditionally observant as in
    orthodox Jews.


    "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Per Bruce Gilbert:
    > >Frumm

    >
    > ?
    >
    > I keep hearing the word, but can't find it in my Webster's. From context,
    > sounds like something to do with orthodoxy or ultra-orthodoxy...
    >
    > Tangentially, I recall skimming a mag article some months ago about a

    cargo cult
    > in the South Pacific whose adherents worshipped "John Frum" or "John

    Frumm"...
    > can't recall.
    > --
    > PeteCresswell
     
  18. Per Bruce Gilbert:
    >The word frumm basically means religiously and traditionally observant as in
    >orthodox Jews.


    But it is in no way pejorative, right?
    --
    PeteCresswell
     
  19. "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Per Bruce Gilbert:
    > >The word frumm basically means religiously and traditionally observant as

    in
    > >orthodox Jews.

    >
    > But it is in no way pejorative, right?
    > --
    > PeteCresswell


    No, it not derogatory. It is the way the very religious describe themselves
    in conversation.
     
  20. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Per Bruce Gilbert:
    > > >The word frumm basically means religiously and traditionally observant

    as
    > in
    > > >orthodox Jews.

    > >
    > > But it is in no way pejorative, right?
    > > --
    > > PeteCresswell

    >
    > No, it not derogatory.


    We'll take you're word on that.

    > It is the way the very religious describe themselves
    > in conversation.


    That doesn't mean a thing.

    Greg
     
Loading...
Loading...