Bikes on NY subways

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bruce Gilbert, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. tispectrum

    tispectrum Guest

    Last Memorial weekend she was on a ride with Chris and flatted in the front.
    She went over the bars and landed on her neck. Ron emailed me after it
    occurred. I used to see Lorraine and Chris skiing at Fahnstock State Park.
    She's in the condition Christopher Reeves was in before he died.

    "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > tispectrum wrote:
    >
    > > You know me, Herb Dershowitz
    > >
    > > Are you aware of what happened to Lorraine?

    > Hi Herb--
    >
    > No details, except that she had a severe spinal cord injury, is
    > apparently a quadraplegic. I don't know the exact circumstances of her
    > fall, but I don't think she was taken down by anyone else--I think it
    > was just a freak thing. You saw the website?
    >
    > http://www.teamlorraine.org/
    >
    > Just awful.
    >
    > Steve
    > >

    > --
    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > Brooklyn, NY
    > 718-258-5001

  2. Per Bruce Gilbert:
    >It is the way the very religious describe themselves
    >in conversation.

    Not to turn into a tarbaby on you with this thing but...

    I'm guessing it's plural. Is there a singular form?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  3. Pete,
    Frum means very religious and observant. That is all there is to it. Now,
    please drop this thread, it is not a proper subject for a troll adventure...

    Respectfully,

    Bruce

    "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Per Bruce Gilbert:
    > >It is the way the very religious describe themselves
    > >in conversation.

    > Not to turn into a tarbaby on you with this thing but...
    >
    > I'm guessing it's plural. Is there a singular form?
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

  4. ellis

    ellis Guest

    "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Our daughter just moved to Brooklyn and does not have a car. She may want

    > ride in Central Park or up 9W with friends. Does anyone know if you can

    take
    > a bike on the NYC subways?
    >
    > Does anyone on this group ever ride in Prospect Park? What is it like?
    >
    > Please forgive the cross-posting...
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Bruce

    Bruce, tell her to watch out for kamikaze squirrels in Prospect Park, or
    worse, little kiddies on kiddie bikes who will turn 360 at will in front of
    you. Otherwise very nice loop, a nice bit of climbing. They race here.

  5. ellis wrote:

    > Bruce, tell her to watch out for kamikaze squirrels in Prospect Park, or
    > worse, little kiddies on kiddie bikes who will turn 360 at will in front of
    > you. Otherwise very nice loop, a nice bit of climbing. They race here.

    The kids are mostly a problem on weekends. There are a number of
    groups that go out mornings, some as early as about 5. I never met
    them. ;-)
    There are generally larger groups that go out after work (5-7 PM), but
    IMO they are extremely dangerous--at least in season the park is very
    crowded during these hours, and there is vehicular traffic from 3-7PM.
    Most of the riders are good, but as you know it only takes one loser...

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  6. On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:22:58 GMT, "ellis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bruce, tell her to watch out for kamikaze squirrels in Prospect Park

    Are they doing it for a cause, or are they just generally suicidal?

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  7. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    Curtis L. Russell wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:22:58 GMT, "ellis" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Bruce, tell her to watch out for kamikaze squirrels in Prospect Park

    > Are they doing it for a cause, or are they just generally suicidal?
    >
    > Curtis L. Russell
    > Odenton, MD (USA)
    > Just someone on two wheels...

    If I had to play squirrel shrink, I'd say they're just in it for the
    thrill.

    /s

  8. Curtis L. Russell wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:22:58 GMT, "ellis" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Bruce, tell her to watch out for kamikaze squirrels in Prospect Park

    > Are they doing it for a cause, or are they just generally suicidal?

    The armbands are too small to read.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  9. Per Bruce Gilbert:
    >it is not a proper subject for a troll adventure...

    It wasn't a troll.

    But thanks for the info and I'll stop now.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  10. "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Curtis L. Russell wrote:
    > > On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:22:58 GMT, "ellis" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > >Bruce, tell her to watch out for kamikaze squirrels in Prospect Park

    > > Are they doing it for a cause, or are they just generally suicidal?
    > >
    > > Curtis L. Russell
    > > Odenton, MD (USA)
    > > Just someone on two wheels...

    > If I had to play squirrel shrink, I'd say they're just in it for the
    > thrill.
    >
    > /s

    Somebody needs to tell them about derech eretz. See in Houston we have
    explained it all to the squirrels. They understood in only two sessions. The
    rabbits however never got it at all. Just a few weeks ago one of the riders
    beheaded a rabbit with an old Spinergy wheel. In Houston's Memorial Park the
    rabbits dart across the road at the most inopportune times. Many have been
    injured or killed, many more will die. Indeed, the rabbits are a
    stiff-necked species, right up until they encounter the dreaded low spoke
    count wheel at high speed.

    Bruce

  11. Bruce Gilbert wrote:

    <snip>
    > Somebody needs to tell them about derech eretz. See in Houston we have
    > explained it all to the squirrels. They understood in only two
    > sessions. The rabbits however never got it at all. Just a few weeks
    > ago one of the riders beheaded a rabbit with an old Spinergy wheel. In
    > Houston's Memorial Park the rabbits dart across the road at the most
    > inopportune times. Many have been injured or killed, many more will
    > die. Indeed, the rabbits are a stiff-necked species, right up until
    > they encounter the dreaded low spoke count wheel at high speed.

    How come nobody bunny hops the rabbits?

    --
    Bill Asher

  12. "William Asher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bruce Gilbert wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    > > Somebody needs to tell them about derech eretz. See in Houston we have
    > > explained it all to the squirrels. They understood in only two
    > > sessions. The rabbits however never got it at all. Just a few weeks
    > > ago one of the riders beheaded a rabbit with an old Spinergy wheel. In
    > > Houston's Memorial Park the rabbits dart across the road at the most
    > > inopportune times. Many have been injured or killed, many more will
    > > die. Indeed, the rabbits are a stiff-necked species, right up until
    > > they encounter the dreaded low spoke count wheel at high speed.
    > >

    > How come nobody bunny hops the rabbits?
    >
    > --
    > Bill Asher

    The rabbits in Houston are nearly 300 pounds! They were Tex-Sized years ago
    by a mineral in the water we have down here. Just a few years ago, one of
    the riders from our club was dragged off into the bushes by a nesting pair
    of park rabbits. Weeks later they found his bones in the rabbit's treetop
    nest. Positive ID was made because of the club jersey that the rabbits
    removed and carefully folded before placing it onto their trophy pile in the
    north corner of the nest. The rabbits always claim vegetarianism after
    arrest by the park police, but the cyclists know better...

    Bruce

  13. Bruce Gilbert wrote:

    > The rabbits in Houston are nearly 300 pounds! They were Tex-Sized years ago
    > by a mineral in the water we have down here. Just a few years ago, one of
    > the riders from our club was dragged off into the bushes by a nesting pair
    > of park rabbits. Weeks later they found his bones in the rabbit's treetop
    > nest. Positive ID was made because of the club jersey that the rabbits
    > removed and carefully folded before placing it onto their trophy pile in the
    > north corner of the nest. The rabbits always claim vegetarianism after
    > arrest by the park police, but the cyclists know better...

    Sorry, I can't believe this story. Vegetarians in Texas? No way.
    Vegetarians getting lenient treatment from Texas police?
    Please, do you think we're fresh off the boat or something?

  14. ellis wrote:
    > "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Our daughter just moved to Brooklyn and does not have a car. She may want

    > > ride in Central Park or up 9W with friends. Does anyone know if you can

    > take
    > > a bike on the NYC subways?
    > >
    > > Does anyone on this group ever ride in Prospect Park? What is it like?
    > >
    > > Please forgive the cross-posting...
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Bruce
    > >

    > Bruce, tell her to watch out for kamikaze squirrels in Prospect Park, or
    > worse, little kiddies on kiddie bikes who will turn 360 at will in front of
    > you. Otherwise very nice loop, a nice bit of climbing. They race here.

    One of the highlights of my racing career was losing a sprint to George
    Hincapie in one of the spring series races there as a junior. It is a
    very nice loop, if a bit short. It's been many years since I've ridden
    there, but I recall there being many different types of groups to ride
    with, not all of them dangerous. Maybe cycling is more popular now so
    larger groups perhaps, making things dangerous, dunno.

    Taking a bike on the subway never was a problem when I lived there.
    Wasn't popular in rush hour...

    Where in Brooklyn?

    Joseph

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >Our daughter just moved to Brooklyn and does not have a car. She may want to
    >ride in Central Park or up 9W with friends. Does anyone know if you can take
    >a bike on the NYC subways?

    Yes. Just don't ry it during rush hour. I would suggest that she ride
    to Manhattan instead of taking the train. She can ride her bike over the
    Brooklyn bridge.
    Alex