Bikes on planes (as regular luggage)?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by sabrina, Dec 30, 2003.

1. sabrina

sabrina New Member

I've settled on buying a Trek 4300, and since my local shop doesn't carry Trek, I'm going to buy a bike when I'm in San Diego on a trip. According to Delta, a bike costs $80 extra to take on their planes, but it would count as regular luggage if the total measurements are under 62 inches. I checked out the Crate Works bike box, and the total added up to 86 inches. Is it possible to break down a 18" frame bike to something smaller than that? If I can avoid paying an extra $80, I'd like to find a way.

Thank you!

Tags:

2. capwater

capwater New Member

Last time I shipped a bike UPS it was about 30 bucks. Any decent LBS ought to to be able to break it down and pack it for shipping.

3. eddiebrannan

eddiebrannan New Member

you could cut it in half

4. Eidetic

Eidetic New Member

I travel with bikes alot. There's no way to meet the 62" rule without using BTCs, i.e., cutting the top tube and down tube and installing couplers.

Most airlines are now very strict about charging for a bike box, whether cardboard or polymer. The best shot at not getting charged for a bike box is to be the top elite level with the airline, AND to have no or only one other checked bag AND to be on a fight that isn't anywhere near full.

5. daveornee

daveornee New Member

League of American Bicyclists has a "Bikes Fly Free" deal with Frontier and America West airlines.
    If you join and fly one of those airlines, your membership is more than paid for.
    Otherwise have the bicycle shipped, shop-to-shop, insured.
    Unless you are quite experienced in the process, you will save time and be riding sooner.

6. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Check the details at the League's site URL:
    http://www.bikeleague.org/flyfree.htm

7. sabrina

sabrina New Member

Thanks Capwater, using UPS is a great idea!

Daveornee: I'm flying Delta now, but I'll keep that "Bikes Fly Free" program in mind for the future, thank you!