UK and Europe · Public discussion

Bikes on scotrail sleepers

Started by Mike · · Last activity · 2 posts · 635 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
5 May 2003
Last activity
5 May 2003
Original author
Mike
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
635
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just a quick question - I have booked 2 bargain sleepers up to Fort William and back form london.
    After I booked the bikes on (with them changing traimns for us at Edinburgh).

    My worry is they do not give a booking reference and only take the name (which their computer says
    is 'ignored'!) - SO..... anyone else done this ? Is it reliable? Should I stop worrying?!!

    Ta

    Mike

    (in dread of turning up at Euston with 2 bikes and not being able to take them...)

  2. We used to do this a lot ... until a few years ago they had a proper guards van, and you could just
    chuck the bikes on. Now they have (or had a year or so ago)a kind of bike cupboard with a vertical
    bike rack contraption to take a few bikes. The capacity is reduced, but if you have a ticket it
    should be ok.

    One thing though, certainly when we used to do it the train from London splits 3 ways (Fort William,
    Aberdeen and ???), so the guard will often have to move the bikes from one bit of train to another
    in the middle of the night. This shouldn't be a problem, but make sure they're both labbeled with
    name/ destination, and that you make them as easy to move as possible (for instance, don't lock them
    to the racks! They can't be stolen on the train anyway!)

    Have fun,

    Ben

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike" <[email hidden]> Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
    Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 1:26 PM Subject: Bikes on scotrail sleepers

    Quoted message said:

    Just a quick question - I have booked 2 bargain sleepers up to Fort William and back form london.
    After I booked the bikes on (with them changing traimns for us at Edinburgh).

    My worry is they do not give a booking reference and only take the name (which their computer says
    is 'ignored'!) - SO..... anyone else done this ? Is it reliable? Should I stop worrying?!!

    Ta

    Mike

    (in dread of turning up at Euston with 2 bikes and not being able to take them...)

    "Mike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just a quick question - I have booked 2 bargain sleepers up to Fort William and back form london.
    After I booked the bikes on (with them changing traimns for us at Edinburgh).

    My worry is they do not give a booking reference and only take the name (which their computer says
    is 'ignored'!) - SO..... anyone else done this ? Is it reliable? Should I stop worrying?!!

    Ta

    Mike

    (in dread of turning up at Euston with 2 bikes and not being able to take them...)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.