Bikes on scotrail sleepers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mike, May 5, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Just a quick question - I have booked 2 bargain sleepers up to Fort William and back form london.
    After I booked the bikes on (with them changing traimns for us at Edinburgh).

    My worry is they do not give a booking reference and only take the name (which their computer says
    is 'ignored'!) - SO..... anyone else done this ? Is it reliable? Should I stop worrying?!!

    Ta

    Mike

    (in dread of turning up at Euston with 2 bikes and not being able to take them...)

    Tags:

  2. Ben

    Ben Guest

    We used to do this a lot ... until a few years ago they had a proper guards van, and you could just
    chuck the bikes on. Now they have (or had a year or so ago)a kind of bike cupboard with a vertical
    bike rack contraption to take a few bikes. The capacity is reduced, but if you have a ticket it
    should be ok.

    One thing though, certainly when we used to do it the train from London splits 3 ways (Fort William,
    Aberdeen and ???), so the guard will often have to move the bikes from one bit of train to another
    in the middle of the night. This shouldn't be a problem, but make sure they're both labbeled with
    name/ destination, and that you make them as easy to move as possible (for instance, don't lock them
    to the racks! They can't be stolen on the train anyway!)

    Have fun,

    Ben

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike" <[email protected]> Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
    Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 1:26 PM Subject: Bikes on scotrail sleepers

    > Just a quick question - I have booked 2 bargain sleepers up to Fort William and back form london.
    > After I booked the bikes on (with them changing traimns for us at Edinburgh).
    >
    > My worry is they do not give a booking reference and only take the name (which their computer says
    > is 'ignored'!) - SO..... anyone else done this ? Is it reliable? Should I stop worrying?!!
    >
    > Ta
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > (in dread of turning up at Euston with 2 bikes and not being able to take them...)

    news:[email protected]...