Bikes, rail, buses, the environment

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by [email protected], May 12, 2004.

  1. Interesting conversation I had this afternoon at the launch of the
    Woden Town Centre Master Plan.

    The launch was attended by many v/senior ACTPLA personal, including a
    leading light in the transport area. We started to discussed the
    busways and light rail issue in Canberra.

    Firstly it seems that the political decision not to send the busway
    across the O'Connor ridge (as recommended) and instead place it
    alongside Barry Drive, effectively kills light rail in Canberra. All
    thanks to Save- the-Ridge and their friends it seems.

    Also mentioned was that the ACTLightrail coalition had sent many
    letters to ACTPLA disputing the costing as proposed by KBR to build
    light rail across Canberra (up to $1.3 billion, with the route to
    Gungahlin town centre alone being $204 million). However, not one
    piece of verifiable bit of evidence was given to show that the
    ACTLightrail costing were accurate to convince ACTPLA that their
    figures were wrong. Not two weeks ago I asked senior representatives
    of ACTLightrail to place their contrary costing on their website.

    Finally, it seems that the bike lanes on Northbourne Avenue will
    present a challenge to the busway to Gungahlin. A solution could be
    found by placing the bike paths on the side roads.

    Tags:

  2. Tezza

    Tezza Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Finally, it seems that the bike lanes on Northbourne Avenue will
    > present a challenge to the busway to Gungahlin. A solution could be
    > found by placing the bike paths on the side roads.

    Place bikes under buses.

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    Originally posted by Tezza <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Finally, it seems that the bike lanes on Northbourne Avenue will
    > present a challenge to the busway to Gungahlin. A solution could be
    > found by placing the bike paths on the side roads.

    Place bikes under buses. [/QUOTE

    Place Tezza under buses

    --

  4. cfsmtb