Bikes Running Red Lights

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Andrew Swan, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Arpit wrote:

    > Hehhe, how did he know who you were?
    >
    > If someones hooting me, im in th habit of giving them a thumbs up :) It works on so many levels ;)
    >
    > 1. THey are a police guy-- i dunno wtf they'll think
    > 2. they are honking angrily- they'll take it as me mocking them
    > 3. they are honking in a friendly manner- they will take it like a real thumbs up :)

    Well after I gave him the finger and mumbled "F*ck off" loud enough for him to hear I turned around
    and saw who he was, I ambolled over sheepishly and said "I guess I'm in trouble now" to which he
    replied in the positive. Live and learn eh?
    --
    Cheers Damian Harvey

    This space reserved for standard disclaimer, witty quote, plug for own business in caps and large,
    bad ASCII art.

  2. K.A. Moylan

    K.A. Moylan Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Liz" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does everyone always stop at pedestrian lights? NO! Well not car drivers anyway. I went for a walk
    > the other day and came to a pedestrian only crossing on a moderately busy road. Pushed the button,
    > waited for the little green man to appear, checked to see that the approaching car really was
    > stopping, then started to cross. Then another car came up from behind, beeped its horn, swerved
    > past the stopped car and continued full speed through the intersection. Gave me quite a fright.

    I used to regularly use one traffic-light controlled pedestrian crossing where drivers often went
    through the red light. One went through while I was still on the roadway (& the little man was
    definitely green) so I turned around & kicked the car as it passed me. (I'd seen so many cars do
    this that I could tell who would stop & who would not, so I wasn't surprised.) Yes, the driver was
    very upset, but I never saw another car run that pedestrian crossing again.

    --
    K.A. Moylan Canberra, Australia Ski Club: http://www.cccsc.asn.au kamoylan at ozemail dot com dot au

  3. On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:30:31 +1000, Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Another thread talked about cops running red lights. This prompts me to ask, do you run red lights:
    >
    >(a) never

    Never - ever. I can honestly say that I follow the road rules regardless of whether I'm riding
    or driving.

    ---
    Cheers

    PeterC

    [Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
    [and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

  4. On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:26:38 +1000, "Andy Simpson"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Andrew Lighten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> > (i) if I've been waiting ages and they haven't changed (which is actually legal, as the in-road
    >> > sensors can't always [never?] detect bikes and not all lights are on a timer all day)
    >
    >So what do you do in situation (i) ? We have two known sets of lights around here that don't
    >detect bikes.

    I get off the bike, walk to the footpath, press the ped light button, and then walk across when the
    little green man appears. Then I get back on the road and ride.

    ---
    Cheers

    PeterC

    [Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
    [and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

  5. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    I get off the bike, walk to the footpath, press the ped light button,
    : and then walk across when the little green man appears. Then I get back on the road and ride.
    :

    I also. Unless I know its a semi sort of busy road and then I just be patient till a car comes
    along. No biggie. I am not in that much of a hurry.