Bikes the key to young driver problem?

Twig

Aug 8, 2005
Over here, we have an 'issue' with young/new drivers who make up a relatively large portion of the accidents in the country. I don't know the statistics, but they aren't important. They are called P-platers btw, not sure if its the same everywhere else.

Since getting back on the bike, i was wondering how competance on the bike effected competance in a car. Cyclists need to be aware - they understand the dangers of the road, and can understand how dangerous cars can be, whilst also understanding the road patterns, such as giving way and whatnot.

There also is the aspect of vehicle control which bikes can also teach - but i suppose the problem is stopping kids from needing to use the amazing car control skills they MIGHT have in the first place.

So if they do have a positive effect...there still isn't much that can be done is there? I suppose just a few suggestions to parents to get kids on bikes is a start.

Oh yes, and i'm a p-plater...sorry.

Or they can hang up their cell phones and turn down that awful music they listen to. Or am I just starting to sound old?

artmichalek said:
Or they can hang up their cell phones and turn down that awful music they listen to. Or am I just starting to sound old?
Well artmichalek (is it art or michalek for short?), you have a point in the music thing - i would believe you could cut the accident rate by about 40% if you weren't allowed music in the p-plater cars. Music is emotive, and hell, i know even i go a bit silly at times when you stick something like Powderfinger on.

Of course, it's impossible to regulate it, and its a pain that it isn't a road you can go down in terms of action.

Twig said:
you have a point in the music thing - i would believe you could cut the accident rate by about 40% if you weren't allowed music in the p-plater cars.
When I was on my P plates I wouldn't listen to music and if I had passengers they were under strict instructions not to talk at all except to give calm and to-the-point navigational direction. Now I can cope with music and talking but I "tune out" from it when the driving gets complicated. I'd hate to have attempted having all those inputs when driving wasn't completely "second nature".

Twig said:
Well artmichalek (is it art or michalek for short?), you have a point in the music thing - i would believe you could cut the accident rate by about 40% if you weren't allowed music in the p-plater cars. Music is emotive, and hell, i know even i go a bit silly at times when you stick something like Powderfinger on.

Of course, it's impossible to regulate it, and its a pain that it isn't a road you can go down in terms of action.
It's Art. It probably is possible to regulate, just difficult. Here in the US they're starting to crack down on teens driving with cell phones. In NY, where I'm licenced, it's illegal for anyone to drive while talking on a phone that doesn't have a hands-free headset.

I am 17 and recently got my license here (CT, USA) but I more often choose to ride places instead of drive....while I think riding is a good substitute for driving, I don't feel as though it helps me learn the rules of the road...when I drive I obviously follow speed limits and give the right of way, but when i ride, I just go as fast as I can and only stop for red lights...

wnowak06 said:
I don't feel as though it helps me learn the rules of the road...
It's not all about the rules. Spending enough time on a bike will give you a sixth sense for when someone in a car is going to do something stupid. Those few extra inches you learn to give yourself are often the differnce between a bad crash and a near miss.

Really, I hadn't thought about it this way. You are probably right about this. I would say it has to do with attention span. We can add the cellphone and texting in there. There are plenty of grown adults that seem to not be able to pay attention or keep themselves in the present moment. I mean you have to say to yourself, "I'm driving a car right now. Pay attention."

I think that responsible cyclists also make for responsible motor vehicle drivers. Of course, I'm referring to my own personal experience. Many young folks that are driving vehicles these days are indeed irresponsible. They've never had the opportunity to ride a bicycle or even play outside. They spend too much time on their mobile phones and have short attention spans. These aspects don't make for a good driver and accidents are bound to happen.

I'm definitely agreeing with the fact that knowing the rules and laws of the road is only a small part of riding and driving on the roads today. Common sense and also experience also plays a huge part in being safe, and just because your abiding by the law, that still won't make you a safe driver or rider.

I think you do develop a kind of sixth sense and you know when a manouvre is safe or not, but that only comes the more your on the road. A lot of young drivers these obviously don't have that much experience, but still think they can drive like they own the road, and a lot of accidents are caused by people thinking they can do more than they actually can.

Bicycling is not a proper solution for this. It is all about education and using safety equipment. In addition newer cars have better safety features which should result in lower casualty numbers in traffic statistics.