bikes without brakes?

Eric

Guest
I've seen a number of bikes around campus without brakes: are they
fearless fools? or do they have some sort of "coaster" types brakes
that were on the bikes I road as a child? I don't see any bracket, etc
so what's the point?
Eric

Eric <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've seen a number of bikes around campus without brakes: are they
>fearless fools? or do they have some sort of "coaster" types brakes
>that were on the bikes I road as a child? I don't see any bracket, etc
>so what's the point?

They may be fixed gear (or track...) bikes. No brakes, no shifters,
no derailleurs, no freewheel - no nuthin' but a frame, a fork, a stem,
handlebars, seatpost, saddle, crank chain and a couple wheels.

A photo of mine (though I DO have a front brake on it):

http://www.habcycles.com/fixie.jpg

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote...
> Eric <[email protected]> wrote:

> >I've seen a number of bikes around campus without brakes: are they
> >fearless fools? or do they have some sort of "coaster" types brakes
> >that were on the bikes I road as a child? I don't see any bracket, etc
> >so what's the point?

> They may be fixed gear (or track...) bikes. No brakes, no shifters,
> no derailleurs, no freewheel - no nuthin' but a frame, a fork, a stem,
> handlebars, seatpost, saddle, crank chain and a couple wheels.

These types of bikes are all the rage with bike messengers and with cyclists
who are into "retro cool".

Are you sure the brakes aren't fixed into the cassette/cog. As long as it's
not a freewheel cassette, all they have to do is put reverse pressure on the
cranks and the bike will stop. I've had several bmx bikes that were built
this way. I also have an old Schwinn tandem that's the same way.

news:[email protected]...