Bikes without chains.

SirJoe

Mar 8, 2016
I have seen some bikes without chains online but never in real life. Has anyone used one of these?
How do the gears work or are do they have a single gear.

BRIK-Brut-matzwart-3V-1140x627.jpg

I would guess it is a single gear bike or it has a system of transmission unlike everything I saw. It really looks interesting and I can see myself owning this bike for several reasons. I would like to ride it around the city because sometimes my bike leaves stains from the chain on my shins and calves and it is really hard to take them off. This looks like a clean solution.

I would guess it is a single gear bike or it has a system of transmission unlike everything I saw. It really looks interesting and I can see myself owning this bike for several reasons. I would like to ride it around the city because sometimes my bike leaves stains from the chain on my shins and calves and it is really hard to take them off. This looks like a clean solution.
That most certainly would take care of that problem, no more oil stains on your calves and shins. I think your right it does look like a single speed. It will be fine if your city is flat, where I live these sort of bikes are nearly unusable.

Ahh you mean shaftdriven bicycles... It use a drive shaft to transmit the torque and rotation caused by the pedal power to the wheels. These things operate at a very consistent rate of efficiency and performance, without a need for adjustments or maintenance, though lower than that of a properly adjusted and lubricated chain. Shaft drives are typically more complex to disassemble when repairing flat rear tires, and the manufacturing cost is typically higher, thus you can already ifugre it out the fundamental issue with bicycle shaft-drive systems.

Ahh you mean shaftdriven bicycles... It use a drive shaft to transmit the torque and rotation caused by the pedal power to the wheels. These things operate at a very consistent rate of efficiency and performance, without a need for adjustments or maintenance, though lower than that of a properly adjusted and lubricated chain. Shaft drives are typically more complex to disassemble when repairing flat rear tires, and the manufacturing cost is typically higher, thus you can already ifugre it out the fundamental issue with bicycle shaft-drive systems.
So does that mean that you could cycle up a hill with out the need of gears?

So does that mean that you could cycle up a hill with out the need of gears?

No, these bikes have internal hub gears just like other city bikes. See manufacturer websites for details: Dynamic Bicycles, Beixo, Biomega, and BRIK. Shaft drive technology on electric bikes is being led by Protanium and Mando Footloose.

They typically have Shimano internal hub gears.

I've used bikes with chains for years. To see one without it is just something. I wonder if I could get one in the future. Looks cleaner in terms of appearance.