BikesDirect Bike Sizes

Originally Posted by Froze .

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! That was great word selection. Reminds me of myself.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

Right, Davereo, and I just co-opted what you said and related it to information that might be helpful to the original poster. Most inexperienced riders have heard that the top tube is the most important measurement, but they still don't know what size top tube they need. The do go to bike shops, though (sometimes), where a salesman or fitter asks them how tall they are, and says something like, "Let's see how you look on this 52."

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

Right, Davereo, and I just co-opted what you said and related it to information that might be helpful to the original poster. Most inexperienced riders have heard that the top tube is the most important measurement, but they still don't know what size top tube they need. The do go to bike shops, though (sometimes), where a salesman or fitter asks them how tall they are, and says something like, "Let's see how you look on this 52."
Agreed that hieght is always the starting point in the LBS. My sons father in-law who is not a cyclist but a good example of body proportions extremes when sitting at a table you would think he is well over 6'. When he stands he is barely 5'6". He has a long trunk with long arms to go with it.

If I were to guess I would put him on a compact frame bike with a 60CM top tube. The LBS salesman may put him on a 52 and scratch his head when he see's how oddly he fits. I am hopeful that they would try different bikes to dial in the fit.