Bikesdirect.com (motobecane, windsor, Mercier)

Todd/PA

Apr 25, 2006
Has anyone had any experience in buying online, New fully assembled bikes. I am looking for a starter road bike, I enjoy wrenching some. Have any experience with www.Bikesdirect.com or www.rscycle.com . Are the store brand bike as good as name brand, are you buying drivetrain and wheels.? What about Giant making most of the lower end frames, so wouldn't they all be equal or close??

New to road bikes and the forum, have been riding a couple years but want to jump up to the road bikes soon.

God Speed
Todd

I've bought two bikes from Bikesdirect.com (through ebay) and I recommend them.

Last year ('05) I bought the Windsor Dover 8-speed Sora-equipped road bike. Rode it in about 14 races. It's now relegated to my trainer.
This year ('06) I bought the Windsor Kennet 10-speed Ultegra equipped road bike. I've ridden about 10 races so far, but haven't exactly won one yet. (That's 99% not the bikes fault.)

You can't get a similarly-equipped bike anywhere else for anything close to what you'll pay on Bikesdirect.com.

I believe it's the running gear that really makes the bikes great (Shimano Ultegra, and you can also get the Dura-ace stuff from them). The frames look a lot like many other frames that I see, just painted and decalled differently. If you think a different brand name on the frame will make you go faster, go for it.

Todd/PA said:
Has anyone had any experience in buying online, New fully assembled bikes. I am looking for a starter road bike, I enjoy wrenching some. Have any experience with www.Bikesdirect.com or www.rscycle.com . Are the store brand bike as good as name brand, are you buying drivetrain and wheels.? What about Giant making most of the lower end frames, so wouldn't they all be equal or close??

New to road bikes and the forum, have been riding a couple years but want to jump up to the road bikes soon.

God Speed
Todd