Bikeshop experiences

fondy2004

Oct 7, 2003
Recently unfortunately my Reynolds 853 Hillman's frame cracked just below the front derailer hanger around the down tube. The bike and frame is only 2.5 years old.

When I took the frame back to Hillmans they told me that the frame is suppose to be virtually indestructable and that they would take care of this under warranty.

I left it at that and after about 4 weeks I rang them to find out what was happening and they told me that they would only replace the tube that cracked, and not the entire frame. They also advised that a paint job was also not included in the warranty.

From what I understand about warranties, surely if the frame hadn't cracked then a paint job wouldn't be required. A frame is an entirety in itself I would think and if a frame broke then the frame would be replaced including it being painted.

I called Cecil Walker cycles and they told me if it was one of their frames then they would have replaced the entire frame.

It is now 8 weeks later and I still do not have the bike. I have been told that with moving of premises, the painter they use getting sick is the reason it is taking so long. Surely this is not my problem and I would think that they are suppose to be running a business.

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with Hillman cycles or with custom made frames breaking and the issues of getting them replaced?

Any responses are welcomed regarding these issues.

ive been told bike shops are notorious for taking their own sweet time. they'll blame:

shipping delays (if it's from overseas, blame the US/Taiwan/England etc)
courier probs (my experience with a wetsuit... i took a faulty wettie back for repair. supposedly a courier stole it for 3months and took it surfing. came back as though a shark had been through the legs with the amount of tears. i got a refund, so im at peace with this bike shop, but my disappointment in their lack of security has made me reconsider whether i could depend on them in future)
christmas/new years-- public holidays and workers at supply companies on holidays can stretch out to weeks
busy staff and a heap of bike servicing to do-- yours is on the list and they'll get to it soon

i think it comes down to a tension between bike shops being genuinely busy, and bike shops forgetting that they are a business, and if they don't have good customer service they'll lose out very soon because you'll simply find a better bike shop and let your mates know too. but i guess with so many cyclists around, and the demands of our repairs/new gear/maintainence, bike shops do what they can. banks are ****ty too. dont put up with ****, just go somewhere where you can get help.

just realised my post makes me look like i swear a lot! they blocked out '******' when i typed '******mas'! huh?

I too have experienced serious hassles with my custom frame and Cecil's simply put the acid right back in my face to go along with the the physical facial scaring caused by the bike falling apart whilst in motion.

I cannot afford a lawyer! So, at this point in time, the bike sits in a corner with only 4months use! I'm absolutlely devestated by the quality of my frame and the service (not) received.

May I suggest you go direct to the/a frame builder.

Originally posted by HalienMade
I cannot afford a lawyer!
Many Lawyers take on this sort of thing on a "no win, no fee" basis. Make some calls!

Originally posted by su22
this is stupid. i said ******mas

Just type it this way c h r i s t mas. Instead of christmas. That is what ur saying isn't it?

No wait, that wasn't sensored. My mistake.

Never had to redeem a warranty though. No experience with this problem, sorry.

Sorry to hear about your experience, Halienmade...maybe Cecil Walker's isn't helping you because it's not one of their frames?Sure, it's got Cecil stickers on it, but they don't actually *make* these frames; their frames are made by Paconi. I can sort of see where the guys at C.W's are coming from... why should they have to take the fall for a frame failure that someone else is responsible for? :)

Have a chat with Paconi, not Cecil Walkers... that's my advice. :)

Originally posted by Etxy
Sorry to hear about your experience, Halienmade...maybe Cecil Walker's isn't helping you because it's not one of their frames?Sure, it's got Cecil stickers on it, but they don't actually *make* these frames; their frames are made by Paconi. I can sort of see where the guys at C.W's are coming from... why should they have to take the fall for a frame failure that someone else is responsible for? :)

Have a chat with Paconi, not Cecil Walkers... that's my advice. :)

As the shop that sold the frame it is THIER responsibility to contact Paconi if it was made there, not the customer!

Originally posted by 100%
As the shop that sold the frame it is THIER responsibility to contact Paconi if it was made there, not the customer!

Not saying it isn't, but they're refusing to do anything about it; HalienMade has said he can't afford legal proceedings, Cecil Walker's is being useless about it, so as a last resort why not just eliminate the middle man and voice your grievances with Paconi?

Does CW have a bad rep? I am about to buy a bike and I would not like to go somewhere where they do not treat their customers right. I totaly hate that.
Problem is they are close to where I live.

Cecil Walkers in Elisabeth St Melbourne, have treated me OK to date, although I did not buy a bike from them. Mostly parts/accessories.
They were able to source a 17t rear cog for my single-speed MTB conversion which is something no other dealer was able to get.

My expereicne with bike shops in general is not to put too much faith in them because something will go wrong eventially. Research, & knowledge of what you want before you approch them is the best way to do it, form your own opinion of what you want & don’t take other peoples (dealers) opinions as total gospel . I have gotten some doozie opinions from various dealers about bikes/parts etc.

Besides I’m always happier to make my own mistakes instead of someone elses anyway.

..I just realised that my post doesn't cover this frame break issue. Warrantee support falls down sometimes. I would press the dealer for a fix, they have the contacts & knowledge to shortcut warrantee issues that you are expereincing. If they don't want to help then let everyone know about your probs.

No no you guys.. you're reading it wrong! :p

He said that it was a Hillman frame and he had contacted Hillman about it.
He ALSO said that he had spoken to CW and they had said that "IF it was one of OUR frames we would warranty it" or similar.

So, the problem is not with CW, but Hillman. CW, like most shops, get good
and bad press. I have found them helpful but don't go there much at all.

hippy ;-)

This concerned Cecil Walker
"I too have experienced serious hassles with my custom frame and Cecil's simply put the acid right back in my face to go along with the the physical facial scaring caused by the bike falling apart whilst in motion.

I cannot afford a lawyer! So, at this point in time, the bike sits in a corner with only 4months use! I'm absolutlely devestated by the quality of my frame and the service (not) received. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This sort of worries me. I would go ballistic, mental, think falling out with
Michael Douglas. :)

Claes said:
Does CW have a bad rep? I am about to buy a bike and I would not like to go somewhere where they do not treat their customers right. I totaly hate that.
Problem is they are close to where I live.

Based on my experiences, the frame was to Cecil Walkers specifications (their words). The quality of workmanship and some materials parts used to build the frame are (hearsay from another LBS) cheap, particularly, continuing to use of the old fashioned forward facing horizontal dropouts with screws (now replaced by vertical dropouts on ALL the other brands I've seen including other brands sold in the CW shop).

I've seen Paconi frames of the same material as mine (at Terry Wheeler's shop) that appeared be of a much better quality (and with vertical dropouts & without screws). Dooh!!

The aforementioned issues is only part of my issue with CW.... I could have been killed!

HalienMade said:
I've seen Paconi frames of the same material as mine (at Terry Wheeler's shop) ..........[/QUOTE said:
Apologies; it was Terry Hammond's shop (Highett).

I have found Fitzroy cycles to be very helpful and very good service