Bikeshow - Sheldown Brown

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Hearns, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    How can we have missed it?

    http://www.bikeshow.blogspot.com/
    The Bikeshow on Nov 21st featured Sheldown Brown.
    Maybe we were spared this as a mercy, as u.r.c. would have suffered
    a collective fit of hyperventilation.

    Available for download or streaming as an MP3, ie click on the link
    above and scroll down to 21st Nov

    Tags:

  2. sothach

    sothach Guest

    John Hearns wrote:
    > How can we have missed it?
    >
    > http://www.bikeshow.blogspot.com/
    > The Bikeshow on Nov 21st featured Sheldown Brown.
    > Maybe we were spared this as a mercy, as u.r.c. would have suffered
    > a collective fit of hyperventilation.

    Sheldon Brown is God.

  3. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 07:12:36 -0800, sothach wrote:

    >> The Bikeshow on Nov 21st featured Sheldown Brown. Maybe we were spared
    >> this as a mercy, as u.r.c. would have suffered a collective fit of
    >> hyperventilation.

    > Sheldon Brown is God.

    The voice of God is available for download. My Friday has been brightened
    considerably.

  4. > > Sheldon Brown is God.

    It renewed my irritation at having my raleigh 3speed pinched.
    I never really appreciated it until it was gone.
    TerryJ

  5. POHB

    POHB Guest

  6. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003
    But the great Sheldon is an Oysterband fan! He's a cycling god and he knows god music. I must got to Harris Cyclery next time I'm over in Boston.

    Bryan

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Bryan wrote:

    > But the great Sheldon is an Oysterband fan! He's a cycling god and he
    > knows god music. I must got to Harris Cyclery next time I'm over in
    > Boston.

    Apart from Sheldon, its a bit of a let-down. You expect an Aladdin's
    cave with all sorts of esoteric bicycle stuff and unusual bicycles in
    line with the website. But its quite ordinary really with fairly
    ordinary bikes (sorry Sheldon if you are reading)

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  8. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > How can we have missed it?
    >
    > http://www.bikeshow.blogspot.com/
    > The Bikeshow on Nov 21st featured Sheldown Brown.
    > Maybe we were spared this as a mercy, as u.r.c. would have suffered
    > a collective fit of hyperventilation.
    >
    > Available for download or streaming as an MP3, ie click on the link
    > above and scroll down to 21st Nov

    Man, that Sheldon's a mean soul singer.... "funky driver on the funky bus!"

    Oh... that's not Sheldon..

    Here's me thinking he was so multi-talented, I was expecting "Sheldown Soul
    Man: bicycle - the musical". I was fully expecting Sheldon strutting his
    funky stuff in that h*lm*t of his...

    Yo dude! Hit me with your three-speed!

    Cheers, helen s

  9. Tony Raven wrote:
    > Bryan wrote:
    >
    >> But the great Sheldon is an Oysterband fan! He's a cycling god and he
    >> knows god music. I must got to Harris Cyclery next time I'm over in
    >> Boston.
    >>

    > Apart from Sheldon, its a bit of a let-down. You expect an Aladdin's
    > cave with all sorts of esoteric bicycle stuff and unusual bicycles in
    > line with the website. But its quite ordinary really with fairly
    > ordinary bikes (sorry Sheldon if you are reading)

    It is a bike shop and it has Sheldon, how can that be a let down? Is
    the shop like Halfords?

    --chris

  10. On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 15:24:48 +0000, John Hearns <[email protected]>
    said in <[email protected]>:

    >The voice of God is available for download. My Friday has been brightened
    >considerably.

    My Friday is in the bike shed, Peter won't go out on it because it's
    too cold in the mornings at present.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  11. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    POHB wrote:
    > Cheap "radio" or what?

    I feel this is a good time to be slightly naughty and quote a private
    e-mail that I received a while ago from the show's presenter:

    "Also I do the show completely in my spare time, and unpaid, so it's
    just what i can manage between when I have to be earning money."

    Before reading that, it had never occurred to me that it was an amateur
    production. Given that knowledge, being cheap on occasion seems
    entirely reasonable.

    --
    Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
    <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>

  12. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Chris Gerhard wrote:
    > Is the shop like Halfords?

    No its just an ordinary bike shop with ordinary bikes. Whereas you
    would expect it to be an Aladdin's Cave full of rare and interesting
    cycling bikes and bits a pieces.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  13. On 2 Dec 2005 07:12:36 -0800, "sothach" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >John Hearns wrote:
    >> How can we have missed it?
    >>
    >> http://www.bikeshow.blogspot.com/
    >> The Bikeshow on Nov 21st featured Sheldown Brown.
    >> Maybe we were spared this as a mercy, as u.r.c. would have suffered
    >> a collective fit of hyperventilation.

    >Sheldon Brown is God.

    When was he elevated from his previous position as The Oracle?

  14. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:24:40 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Chris Gerhard wrote:
    >> Is the shop like Halfords?
    >>

    >No its just an ordinary bike shop with ordinary bikes. Whereas you
    >would expect it to be an Aladdin's Cave full of rare and interesting
    >cycling bikes and bits a pieces.

    You know that bit in Casablanca, where the head of Deutsche Bank gets
    refused entry to the gaming room at the back of Rick's Bar, while
    Peter Lorre wanders straight in? Sheldon's got a room like that. Need
    to know basis, obviously.

    Tim

  15. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Tim Hall wrote:

    > You know that bit in Casablanca, where the head of Deutsche Bank gets
    > refused entry to the gaming room at the back of Rick's Bar, while
    > Peter Lorre wanders straight in? Sheldon's got a room like that. Need
    > to know basis, obviously.

    Yes, that's exactly what it must be like.

    --
    Dave...

  16. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Chris Gerhard wrote:
    > > Is the shop like Halfords?

    > No its just an ordinary bike shop with ordinary bikes. Whereas you
    > would expect it to be an Aladdin's Cave full of rare and interesting
    > cycling bikes and bits a pieces.

    In most bike shops the workshop and the stock-room are more interesting
    than the showroom, but how often do you get to see them?

    --
    Dave...

  17. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > Here's me thinking he was so multi-talented, I was expecting "Sheldown Soul
    > Man: bicycle - the musical". I was fully expecting Sheldon strutting his
    > funky stuff in that h*lm*t of his...
    >
    > Yo dude! Hit me with your three-speed!

    I think he's more of a Gilbert and Sullivan man.

    --
    Dave...

  18. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:
    > In most bike shops the workshop and the stock-room are more interesting
    > than the showroom, but how often do you get to see them?

    one of the local-ish LBS is basically an open plan workshop with a few
    display stands for bikes. I was after an obscure part adn they had used
    up all of theirs, but cut me one off a junk bike out the back for
    nowt..

    ...d

  19. "dkahn400" <[email protected]>typed

    > wafflycat wrote:

    > > Here's me thinking he was so multi-talented, I was expecting
    > > "Sheldown Soul
    > > Man: bicycle - the musical". I was fully expecting Sheldon strutting his
    > > funky stuff in that h*lm*t of his...
    > >
    > > Yo dude! Hit me with your three-speed!

    > I think he's more of a Gilbert and Sullivan man.

    I *know* he is...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.