BikeWebSite is Free Until Jan 1. Merry Christmas!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jeff Napier, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Jeff Napier

    Jeff Napier Guest

    Hi Folks, www.bikewebsite.com is free until January 1. Merry Christmas!
    - Jeff

    Tags:

  2. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Jeff Napier wrote:
    > Hi Folks, www.bikewebsite.com is free until January 1. Merry Christmas!

    Does that imply that it will be a pay site after January 1? Sheldon's site is free, and has tons
    more information.

    Who would pay for your crap?

    Greg

    --
    "Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
    we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

  3. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 20:23:18 GMT, "Jeff Napier" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi Folks, www.bikewebsite.com is free until January 1. Merry Christmas!
    >- Jeff

    Oh bother....

    sigh, zzzzzzzz

    bil The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    :-]

  4. that website looks designed purely as an advert for this bloke's web design. Not sure it's a
    particularly good advert, plus it's a cynical money grabbing post for a newsgroup!

    news:D[email protected]...
    > Jeff Napier wrote:
    > > Hi Folks, www.bikewebsite.com is free until January 1. Merry Christmas!
    >
    > Does that imply that it will be a pay site after January 1? Sheldon's
    site
    > is free, and has tons more information.
    >
    > Who would pay for your crap?
    >
    > Greg
    >
    > --
    > "Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
    > we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

  5. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Alex Robinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | that website looks designed purely as an advert for this bloke's web
    design.
    | Not sure it's a particularly good advert, plus it's a cynical money
    grabbing
    | post for a newsgroup!

    All done in frontpage too. Jeff get a copy of Dreamweaver and move forward.

    Simon

  6. Simon wrote:
    > "Alex Robinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | that website looks designed purely as an advert for this bloke's web
    > design.
    > | Not sure it's a particularly good advert, plus it's a cynical money
    > grabbing
    > | post for a newsgroup!
    > |
    > All done in frontpage too. Jeff get a copy of Dreamweaver and move forward.
    >
    > Simon

    Or how about a copy of notepad and learn how to actually write HTML?

    Jon "Commander Purist" Bond

  7. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Simon wrote:
    > > "Alex Robinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > | that website looks designed purely as an advert for this bloke's web
    > > design.
    > > | Not sure it's a particularly good advert, plus it's a cynical money
    > > grabbing
    > > | post for a newsgroup!
    > > |
    > > All done in frontpage too. Jeff get a copy of Dreamweaver and move forward.
    > >
    > > Simon
    > >

    > Or how about a copy of notepad and learn how to actually write HTML?
    >
    > Jon "Commander Purist" Bond

    Ohhh, you're brutal!
    --
    Slacker

  8. "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]>

    <snip>

    | Or how about a copy of notepad and learn how to actually write HTML?
    |
    | Jon "Commander Purist" Bond

    Why limit yourself to HTML? Why waste the time to learn HTML from scratch unless you're going to be
    doing web design for a living?

    Bring on the web design software if it makes better looking/better functioning/more
    interesting/richer web pages

    --
    Pete "Commander Realist" Fagerlin

    http://www.petefagerlin.com

  9. Pete Fagerlin wrote:
    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]>
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > | Or how about a copy of notepad and learn how to actually write HTML?
    > |
    > | Jon "Commander Purist" Bond
    >
    > Why limit yourself to HTML? Why waste the time to learn HTML from scratch unless you're going to
    > be doing web design for a living?
    >
    > Bring on the web design software if it makes better looking/better functioning/more
    > interesting/richer web pages
    >
    > --
    > Pete "Commander Realist" Fagerlin
    >
    > http://www.petefagerlin.com

    I should have said DHTML... javascript, VBscript, CSS, all those fun things.

    I haven't made a webpage in a while, but I made some pretty frickin' nice ones with notepad. Sure, I
    had to look a lot of stuff up, borrow javascripts from websites (www.javascriptsource.com,
    www.bratta.com and the like), etc., but learning to use HTML lets you know its capabilities and its
    limits. You know what is possible, and what you'll have to use shockwave, java, or a similar object
    for, what you can't do at all, and what you can write a sweet, streamlined, small, quick DHTML file
    for. THEN, if you want, you can use dreamweaver or any of those.

    I'll probably end up making a webpage sooner or later, most likely for tufts cycling, and I'll post
    it. The majority of the page will be written in notebook or something of the like, with maybe a bit
    with a program to save some time.

    Jon "Commander" Bond

  10. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    "Pete Fagerlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]>
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > | Or how about a copy of notepad and learn how to actually write HTML?
    > |
    > | Jon "Commander Purist" Bond
    >
    > Why limit yourself to HTML? Why waste the time to learn HTML from scratch unless you're going to
    > be doing web design for a living?
    >
    > Bring on the web design software if it makes better looking/better functioning/more
    > interesting/richer web pages

    This is sort of like limiting yourself by building your own bike. Why waste the time to learn bike
    assembly/ repair unless you're going to be doing bike repair for a living

    Bring on the factory assembled bikes if it makes better looking/better riding/ red bikes.

    I like hand coding my site mostly because I like to use PHP/ python scripting to automate stuff. It
    is difficult to integrate scripting in pages designed using Frontpage/ Dreamweaver.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

  11. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 03:38:28 GMT, "Pete Fagerlin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    I can't believe all the shop talking.

    Where G.T. when you need him. Please take this over to

    ALT.SHOPTALK.IN.AN.MTB.NG

    Bill(leaves that shoptalk at work...who needs it?!)Wheeler

    :-]

  12. "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    | Pete Fagerlin wrote:
    | > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]>
    | >
    | > <snip>
    | >
    | > | Or how about a copy of notepad and learn how to actually write HTML?
    | > |
    | > | Jon "Commander Purist" Bond
    | >
    | > Why limit yourself to HTML? Why waste the time to learn HTML from
    scratch
    | > unless you're going to be doing web design for a living?
    | >
    | > Bring on the web design software if it makes better looking/better functioning/more
    | > interesting/richer web pages
    | >
    | > --
    | > Pete "Commander Realist" Fagerlin
    | >
    | > http://www.petefagerlin.com
    | >

    | I should have said DHTML... javascript, VBscript, CSS, all those fun things.
    |
    | I haven't made a webpage in a while, but I made some pretty frickin' nice ones with notepad. Sure,
    | I had to look a lot of stuff up, borrow javascripts from websites (www.javascriptsource.com,
    | www.bratta.com and the like), etc., but learning to use HTML lets you know its capabilities and
    | its limits. You know what is possible, and what you'll have to use shockwave, java, or a similar
    | object for, what you can't do at all, and what you can write a sweet, streamlined, small, quick
    | DHTML file for.

    Why bother when Dreamweaver does it for you, in a much more compact and clean manner?

    | THEN, if you want, you can use dreamweaver or any of those.

    Why wait?

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    http://www.petefagerlin.com

  13. Michael Dart wrote:
    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > news:[email protected]...

    > forward.

    >>>Or how about a copy of notepad and learn how to actually write HTML?
    >>>
    >>>Jon "Commander Purist" Bond
    >>
    >>Ohhh, you're brutal!
    >>--
    >>Slacker

    Yeah I am!

    > Sheesh! the next thing you know he'll be ridin' a SS!
    >
    > Mike

    Well, if I end up getting a new frame this summer (90% chance of that), then my kaitai is going to
    be sanded, repainted, and transformed into a SS off road/commuting bike. It'll probably keep the z2
    atom bomb on there because I like that fork, and the bike handles pretty well with it, but it's too
    short for the new fullies (65-70 mm of travel vs. 100).

    Jon "Commander" Bond

  14. Jonathan Bond wrote:

    > I'll probably end up making a webpage sooner or later, most likely for tufts cycling, and I'll
    > post it. The majority of the page will be written in notebook or something of the like, with maybe
    > a bit with a program to save some time.

    If you're going to program HTML (and I don't discourage it), at least get yourself an HTML editor.
    I'm currently playing with Bluefish, which is pretty nice. Although not available for Windows.

  15. "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    <snip>

    | > Why limit yourself to HTML? Why waste the time to learn HTML from
    scratch
    | > unless you're going to be doing web design for a living?
    | >
    | > Bring on the web design software if it makes better looking/better functioning/more
    | > interesting/richer web pages
    |
    | This is sort of like limiting yourself by building your own bike. Why waste the time to learn bike
    | assembly/ repair unless you're going to be doing bike repair for a living

    That is an absolutely horrible analogy.

    You don't need to know how to code HTML to make an interesting site nor do you need that skill to
    "maintain" a site.

    | Bring on the factory assembled bikes if it makes better looking/better riding/ red bikes.

    Again, horrible analogy. See above.

    | I like hand coding my site mostly because I like to use PHP/ python scripting to automate stuff.
    | It is difficult to integrate scripting in pages designed using Frontpage/ Dreamweaver.

    Bully for you then!

    There is no absolute need to hand code to get a rich, interesting site.

    In fact, most of the truly horrible/bad sites that I see have been hand coded.

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    Save Fruita Trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

  16. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Bill Wheeler wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 03:38:28 GMT, "Pete Fagerlin" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > I can't believe all the shop talking.
    >
    > Where G.T. when you need him. Please take this over to

    The only thing off-topic here is adult BMX.

    Greg
    --
    "Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
    we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

  17. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > >>Ohhh, you're brutal!
    > >>--
    > >>Slacker
    >

    > Yeah I am!

    You know what I just realized.....you are your Dad ;~ o
    --
    Slacker - 3rd and 7, going deep!

  18. Pete Fagerlin wrote:
    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > |

    > | Pete Fagerlin wrote:
    > | > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]>
    > | >
    > | > <snip>

    > | > |

    > | > Why limit yourself to HTML? Why waste the time to learn HTML from
    > scratch
    > | > unless you're going to be doing web design for a living?
    > | >
    > | > Bring on the web design software if it makes better looking/better functioning/more
    > | > interesting/richer web pages
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Pete "Commander Realist" Fagerlin
    > | >
    > | > http://www.petefagerlin.com
    > | >

    > | I should have said DHTML... javascript, VBscript, CSS, all those fun things.
    > |
    > | I haven't made a webpage in a while, but I made some pretty frickin' nice ones with notepad.
    > | Sure, I had to look a lot of stuff up, borrow javascripts from websites
    > | (www.javascriptsource.com, www.bratta.com and the like), etc., but learning to use HTML lets you
    > | know its capabilities and its limits. You know what is possible, and what you'll have to use
    > | shockwave, java, or a similar object for, what you can't do at all, and what you can write a
    > | sweet, streamlined, small, quick DHTML file for.
    >
    > Why bother when Dreamweaver does it for you, in a much more compact and clean manner?
    >
    > | THEN, if you want, you can use dreamweaver or any of those.
    >
    > Why wait?

    I'm just being argumentative tonight because I've been programming VBA for the past 5 hours.

    Hey, BTW, mind if I use one of your pictures at the top of my spreadsheet for my intro to
    engineering final project (the VBA thing, I built a semi-automated, auto-compatibility check bike
    builder deal thats actually semi-decent).

    Jon "Commander" Bond