Bikeworthy Roads

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
In our village, about half of the roads are either concrete or asphalted and the remaining half are dirt roads or what we call potholed roads particularly during the rainy season. Bikers naturally enjoy biking in bikeworthy roads where it is safe and smooth lke those paved tracks in the stadium. A biker colleague said that if only all roads are bikeworthy then a motion to push for a biking population can materialize again.

Some parts in my area, the roads are perfect while in some of the back roads, its completely busted. Good thing is that there are two major bike roads near by so that's the good thing. The paths are paved and it is very very smooth as well!

Reactions: Corzhens
Besides opting to ride on a good road, sometimes you find yourself in a traffic jam, that is when you do not want to know the condition of the road that may save time. It is true that I prefer a good road for cycling. You may also live in a city where there are potholes that may damage your bike. But you should never give up cycling.

Well, we have bad roads here due to years of political ineptitude and stupidity. So much for "First World"

9lines said:
Besides opting to ride on a good road, sometimes you find yourself in a traffic jam, that is when you do not want to know the condition of the road that may save time. It is true that I prefer a good road for cycling. You may also live in a city where there are potholes that may damage your bike. But you should never give up cycling.
I usually ride my bike inside our village for health reasons - just to stretch my leg muscles, so to speak. But the road condition is poor and when it rained last night, it is not advisable to use the bike for the road is muddy. The main roads outside the village are all concrete or paved. However, there is too much traffic and when there's no traffic, reckless drivers are out there lurking. So what's my choice? That's why some of the bikers in our village go to the other towns to bike.

Reactions: BobCochran
@ Corzhens, I like your expression "bikeworthy". It sounds really good, riding on "bikeworthy" roads. I get an image in my head of gently undulating, smooth paths amid alleys of trees... filtered sunlight, happy, smiling bike riders floating past me, enjoying their trip. Aaaah... what a nice dream. :)
Unfortunately, my reality is quite different... chaos everywhere; pot holes, dust, careless drivers, straying animals... - and humans, and so on. But you know what? I've come to like it. I think that these days I would probably find it somewhat boring to ride on urban tracks built only for bike riders.

Dora M said:
@ Corzhens, I like your expression "bikeworthy". It sounds really good, riding on "bikeworthy" roads. I get an image in my head of gently undulating, smooth paths amid alleys of trees... filtered sunlight, happy, smiling bike riders floating past me, enjoying their trip. Aaaah... what a nice dream. :)
Unfortunately, my reality is quite different... chaos everywhere; pot holes, dust, careless drivers, straying animals... - and humans, and so on. But you know what? I've come to like it. I think that these days I would probably find it somewhat boring to ride on urban tracks built only for bike riders.
Dora M said:
You are correct with that gently undulating description of yours. That's how our village roads look like but only some because most of the roads inside the village are dirt roads. I remember about 2 years ago we went to a high end village in the province. Whoa, what great roads they have. And even if some were steep, it was really nice for biking. Aside, I learned how to drive in that village and I even have video of my driving. Now, this reminds me that we have a standing invitation from a resident in that village. Probably we can go on a brief vacation there again.

Dora M said:
I get an image in my head of gently undulating, smooth paths amid alleys of trees... filtered sunlight, happy, smiling bike riders floating past me, enjoying their trip. Aaaah... what a nice dream. :)

But wait! :D The dream is not over! :D

A bit down the "road" Le me shows up, dirty, blasting "Rusty cage" on handlebar speakers overtaking everyone really fast before crashing in a bush or something. :D

P.S. if I'm wearing lycra and a helmet and its "Teenage Nosferatu *****" instead of "Rusty Cage", run, hide! :D In the lake is a good idea. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ubTe3wy1U

Volnix said:
But wait! :D The dream is not over! :D

A bit down the "road" Le me shows up, dirty, blasting "Rusty cage" on handlebar speakers overtaking everyone really fast before crashing in a bush or something. :D

P.S. if I'm wearing lycra and a helmet and its "Teenage Nosferatu *****" instead of "Rusty Cage", run, hide! :D In the lake is a good idea. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ubTe3wy1U
Volnix, I suppose you've never made the acquaintance of reggaeton blasting from loudspeakers attached to the handle bars of some home-made bike, glued to your back wheel. Let me show you what hellish thing really happens down my street... the danger of brain rot is all too real...
Let me introduce you to what torments me day and night... see how long you can stand it ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz3tQC6pyYs

There are plenty of bikeworthy roads where I live, even if they have the occasional pothole. You definitely don't have to worry about eating the pavement that often because of poor road conditions. Our roads here are far more dangerous to cars and trucks than they are to cyclists that are paying attention to where they're going.

gavinfree said:
There are plenty of bikeworthy roads where I live, even if they have the occasional pothole. You definitely don't have to worry about eating the pavement that often because of poor road conditions. Our roads here are far more dangerous to cars and trucks than they are to cyclists that are paying attention to where they're going.
This reminds me of a friend who was biking in a flooded road. If you haven't experienced that yet, you are missing a lot. It's nice to bike in the floodwater especially when there is no current. Wading is fun. One time my female friend was biking in knee-deep floodwater when she fell into a pothole that is about a foot deep. My friend got her clothes wet. What's funny is she was not properly attired. So you can imagine a woman getting we with her house dress.

We are struggling with bad roads a lot in my area at the minute, and it is thanks to the fact that we had a cold winter, and the council doesn't have enough money to repair any of the damage that has been done to the roads. It is bad enough when you're in your car, but when you're on a bike it can be even worse, and can be more along the lines of dangerous than just annoying. It is a shame really, because cycling is something that should be a lot of fun for the people who want to take part in it, but there are so many who just can't do it because of the state of their roads. It is certainly something that councils need to consider - as they might be able to reduce car use, too, if their roads were more accessible.

GemmaRowlands said:
We are struggling with bad roads a lot in my area at the minute, and it is thanks to the fact that we had a cold winter, and the council doesn't have enough money to repair any of the damage that has been done to the roads. It is bad enough when you're in your car, but when you're on a bike it can be even worse, and can be more along the lines of dangerous than just annoying. It is a shame really, because cycling is something that should be a lot of fun for the people who want to take part in it, but there are so many who just can't do it because of the state of their roads. It is certainly something that councils need to consider - as they might be able to reduce car use, too, if their roads were more accessible.

In my area, the roads are usually maintained well,but this winter was hooorible for the roads...In some spots the roads look good for the most part, but there will be random 4-8" diameter, 4-12" deep potholes. Nothing to kill a sprint than the thought of sinking into one of those at full speed....bad roads make me appreciate my bike more though, even with rough roads I feel little impact just by holding firmly onto the handlebar.

Down here in South Africa we have fairly decent road infrastructure. However, there are potholes on many roads but these often get filled up by the local council. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area that has decent roads for all types of road vehicles. Cycling around here is a nice and comfortable experience, it's just some crazy pedestrians are drivers that ruin things for us cyclists. However, it would be great if we had proper bicycle lanes like they have in Cape Town.

Damien Lee said:
Down here in South Africa we have fairly decent road infrastructure. However, there are potholes on many roads but these often get filled up by the local council. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area that has decent roads for all types of road vehicles. Cycling around here is a nice and comfortable experience, it's just some crazy pedestrians are drivers that ruin things for us cyclists. However, it would be great if we had proper bicycle lanes like they have in Cape Town.
That's the complaint of riders here - the potholes that inhabit the roads during the rainy season. With the big trucks plying the roads, the asphalt would give way when it is wet hence the potholes. Worse, the potholes add to the problem of heavy traffic since vehicles cannot move fast. For riders, there are some who crash because of the deep potholes and I remember a story of a rider whose wheel turned into the figure of 8 because of a pothole.

In my part of the world -- the State of Maryland, very close to Washington, D.C. -- many of the roads are crumbling, scalloped, and potholed. (Scalloping occurs when the underlying pavement is heaved upwards by ice and frost.) It is like there was a mad rush to build roads everywhere (and more spring up daily due to the greed of housing developers), but no effort was made to maintain the roads properly. This applies to major highways, too. Our State makes it much worse by taking money which was set aside for transportation type items (roads, bridges, etc) and spending it on other things.

I don't really know the solution to this.

Thanks

Bob

Reactions: Corzhens
Ground politicians mixed with tar as pothole filler. May not last long but oh so satisfying to put in there.

9W in Northern New Jersey, near NYC, is a very nice long stretch of road with a dedicated bike path and lots of serious cyclists daily.

BobCochran said:
In my part of the world -- the State of Maryland, very close to Washington, D.C. -- many of the roads are crumbling, scalloped, and potholed. (Scalloping occurs when the underlying pavement is heaved upwards by ice and frost.) It is like there was a mad rush to build roads everywhere (and more spring up daily due to the greed of housing developers), but no effort was made to maintain the roads properly. This applies to major highways, too. Our State makes it much worse by taking money which was set aside for transportation type items (roads, bridges, etc) and spending it on other things.

I don't really know the solution to this.

Thanks

Bob
What you have described is the state of condition of our roads here during the rainy season. When we moved to this town in 2001, we couldn't come to terms with the potholed roads that from time to time, it is being paved. Fortunately now, the roads are paved with a good asphalt mix that lasts longer, maybe for a year. You can imagine the riders of 2-wheels when they snake on the road to avoid the potholes as deep as 6 inches sometimes.