bikewriter identity theft

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Timo, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Timo

    Timo Guest

    I was thinking of bidding on a bike on eBay but have been put off by the
    possibility that the seller's account has been hijacked, and that the
    auction is not legit. I'm not even sure that the emails I've received are
    coming from the true account owner. His About Me indicates that his account
    has been hijacked. While eBay takes till the next blue moon to get back to
    me, I thought maybe this group might know something about the situation.

    I got a reply from a person who purports to be the owner of the eBay
    account, which sounded on the up and up, but most good confidence-men are
    adept at seeming trustworthy, even extra-trustworthy. The email address was
    bikewriter##@{somedomain}. Ring any bells? His writing style in the email
    was reminiscent of that in some posts appearing in this forum. He writes
    that a certain thing "really torques me off". There was an
    environmental-concerns and mountaining biking thread recently in which that
    locution appeared. Is bikewriter legit? Anybody recognize him?

    Thanks
    Timo

    Tags:

  2. Timo says:

    <snip>

    >He writes
    >that a certain thing "really torques me off".

    I get a total of 655 hits on Google Groups search for that phrase, from just
    about every segment of Usenet, and a wiiiiide variety of nyms. Probably too
    loose to track.

    Steve

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

  4. R.White

    R.White Guest

    "Timo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was thinking of bidding on a bike on eBay but have been put off by the
    > possibility that the seller's account has been hijacked, and that the
    > auction is not legit. I'm not even sure that the emails I've received are
    > coming from the true account owner. His About Me indicates that his account
    > has been hijacked. While eBay takes till the next blue moon to get back to
    > me, I thought maybe this group might know something about the situation.
    >
    > I got a reply from a person who purports to be the owner of the eBay
    > account, which sounded on the up and up, but most good confidence-men are
    > adept at seeming trustworthy, even extra-trustworthy. The email address was
    > bikewriter##@{somedomain}. Ring any bells? His writing style in the email
    > was reminiscent of that in some posts appearing in this forum. He writes
    > that a certain thing "really torques me off". There was an
    > environmental-concerns and mountaining biking thread recently in which that
    > locution appeared. Is bikewriter legit? Anybody recognize him?

    Post the auction number.

    This is a bogus auction too:

    <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58080&item=7930597038&rd=1>

    Hijacked US account, bikes in UK. They are listing 99 seperate
    auctions, like they did 86 last week. I keep reporting them,
    they keep taking them down and yet they continue to hijack another
    account and so on and so on...

    If I can keep finding bogus actions, why can't EBay police their own site?

  5. Joel Crum

    Joel Crum Guest

    "Timo" <[email protected]> wrote in news:KeCdnZ3PbtPGmODcRVn-
    [email protected]:

    > His About Me indicates that his account
    > has been hijacked.

    Good lord man, flee! You think the real and legit owner of the account put
    that there for kicks? Pass this auction over even if it's too good to
    miss; on second thought pass it over *even faster* if it's too good to
    miss.

    --
    - Joel C.

    Does Alanis Morissette stress you out? Her sweater is on backwards and
    inside out, and you say, "Hey, your tag is showing."

  6. Richard Tack

    Richard Tack Guest

    Chris Phillipo wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >
    >>Post the auction number.
    >>
    >>This is a bogus auction too:
    >>
    >><http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58080&item=7930597038&rd=1>
    >>
    >>Hijacked US account, bikes in UK. They are listing 99 seperate
    >>auctions, like they did 86 last week. I keep reporting them,
    >>they keep taking them down and yet they continue to hijack another
    >>account and so on and so on...
    >>

    >>If I can keep finding bogus actions, why can't EBay police their own site?
    >>

    > No commissions in shutting people down.

    They (Ebay) must be getting faster, it's an invalid item
    already.

  7. Timo

    Timo Guest

    Thanks for the blog. I've seen those scams and have avoided them. This one
    was a little different:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7109692600&ssPageNam
    e=STRK:MEDW:IT

    Timo

    news:uVgfd.238$%[email protected]
    > "Timo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I was thinking of bidding on a bike on eBay but have been put off by the
    > > possibility that the seller's account has been hijacked, and that the

    > FYI:
    > http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=27
    >
    > hippy

  8. Timo

    Timo Guest

    The seller has modified his About Me text. A few days ago, it said that his
    account had been hijacked.
    Timo