Biking Across America

americanbiker

Feb 21, 2004
I am biking from Savannah, GA, to Los Angelos this summer, but I am looking for a solid training program from now (Late Feb) to the beginning date (June 24). Any good programs/ideas/suggestions?

Start Date: June 24, 2004
End Date: August 6, 2004

Average Miles/Day: 100
Total Miles: +3000

THANKS

You do not really need to train at all for long distance cycling, your k's and also your fitness will adjust themselves as you go along.
Training is generally (in my view) to improve times and expand your ability/endurance etc. all of which are generally not so important for long distance riding that is not really so competitive.

I cycled from Tokyo to London (16,000 k) and now ride a road bike and the training that I do now is quite important as where for the long distance ride across the world it was not at all needed and after a couple of months of cycling with a loaded touring bike everyday I was riding at a minimum of 150 k every day...

hey thanks for the response
the main thing i am worried about is that i am not a biker, i am a tennis player, so my body is toned to tennis. your cross-continent trip sounds like it was amazing.
americanbiker

It was amazing although it was not really so easy for me to adjust to normal life after the trip, I was on the road for a long time and getting back to working etc. was too hard and so now I am living in Korea (I am Australian) and concentrating (trying to) on road cycling which is ok.

If you need any more advice please let me know and I will help you if I can...

I have always riden bikes to some degree and although you are not a 'biker' you should have no real problems adjusting to life in the saddle.

ur goin on a overland trip right? i am too and i think i have the same dates as you. do u know what trip your goin on, because there more than one group, but it would be sweet if we were in the same group. send me an email at [email protected], or im at ojskis13.

LATER

and have fun training:)