Biking and osteo-arthritis

Donald Specker

Guest
I'm a 47 year old former basketball player who has taken up road biking in the past few years. I've
had several arthritis-related knee surgeries and have arthritis in my middle and lower back,
probably ankles also.

Riding generally feels good - I go out on weekend club rides and am one of the stronger riders.
However, I'm wondering if hard riding puts you at risk for over-use injuries of assorted joints and
tendons. I've developed a pain on the outside of my hip that is pretty persistent. Seems to be
muscle or tendon related, hopefully not the joint. My ankles seems to crunch more. My knees feel
generally good, but there have been some changes in where the aches and pain occur.

I know that riding is a recommended low-impact sport, but in the hilly country I live in, hauling my
200 lbs up the hills seems to strain the body nonetheless.

I'd appreciate any comments.

I am 'not' a doctor. I am a 73 yrs old biker.

My seat height to stem height affects my back and ham strings. If the height difference between
these two is only a 'few' centimeters, I'm OK. Due to long legs (34.5" inseam") I had to buy an
extender to fit over my steering column, to elevate my stem up about 1 1/2". My arms and shoulders
are now more relaxed and less weight on my hands.

My saddle height and the fore and aft position of my saddle cause me to use different muscles in my
upper thighs. I find that having my knee "behind" the center of my pedal, is better 'for me'. I am
then pushing slightly forward and down; not just straight down on the knees, etc.

I also experimented with stem length, 90mm up to 130mm, settled on a 120mm. Getting the reach right
was a real challenge.

The formula's were a point of departure for me. And after each change, I tried to ride at least 20
or more miles on roads with good steep grades, etc.

After a lot of experimentation, I've found what works for me.

Good luck.

Tom

PS some of the bike magazines (online too) have a Dr who takes questions, ie, [email protected]
"Ask The Doctor"

RE/
>I know that riding is a recommended low-impact sport, but in the hilly country I live in, hauling
>my 200 lbs up the hills seems to strain the body nonetheless.

I'm 60+ and my knees are history.

Gearing makes a big diff for me. Lower is better. Too high and my knees tell me about it for the
next few days.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> >I know that riding is a recommended low-impact sport, but in the hilly country I live in, hauling
> >my 200 lbs up the hills seems to strain the
body
> >nonetheless.

Jeez guy, you know what the problem is, do something about it, loose some weight.

> I'm 60+ and my knees are history.

Age is a state of mind, you should be riding long, hard, fast distances.

Plenty of 60 year old fit cyclists around.

Dashii

> Gearing makes a big diff for me. Lower is better. Too high and my knees
tell
> me about it for the next few days.
> -----------------------
> PeteCresswell

I have osteo-arthritis in my wrists from falling too many times or landing improperly too many
times. I have used Glucosamine and really couldn't tell the difference. I still have to watch the
small drop offs on the road or trail. I do find vitamins and the occasional "Aleve" or Ibuprofen
works. Where is your pain exactly? I figure that makes a big difference as well? If it is a total
body pain then a stretching routine like Tai Chi or Yoga will benefit you well. There is a Xi Gung
exercise that is free and is in most areas of the U.S. called "Falun Dafa" or "Falun Gong" you may
want to try. Instructional Real player videos and manuals are available for free on their website
falundafa.org. I don't necessarily agree on their philosophy but I like "free" and it does help
stretch the body well.

My2C, NS

RE/
>> I'm 60+ and my knees are history.
>
>Age is a state of mind

You'll understand better in about 40 years.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

I'm 63 and have a family history of arthritis which has been catching up with me these past
couple of years.

About 5 years ago I began taking Gloucosamine Chondroitin and I _assume_ I would be worse off if I
didn't take it but I don't want to experiment by quitting it, just in case. :)

Recently I began using ' PK5 ' ( www.pk5.com ) and I find it to be _very_ helpful. Their website
explains how to apply it and they claim this is crucial to having it work properly.

Hope this helps you.

Lewis.

"Donald Specker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm a 47 year old former basketball player who has taken up road biking in the past few years.
> I've had several arthritis-related knee surgeries and have arthritis in my middle and lower back,
> probably ankles also.
>
> Riding generally feels good - I go out on weekend club rides and am one of the stronger riders.
> However, I'm wondering if hard riding puts you at risk for over-use injuries of assorted joints
> and tendons. I've developed a pain on the outside of my hip that is pretty persistent. Seems to be
> muscle or tendon related, hopefully not the joint. My ankles seems to crunch more. My knees feel
> generally good, but there have been some changes in where the aches and pain occur.
>
> I know that riding is a recommended low-impact sport, but in the hilly country I live in, hauling
> my 200 lbs up the hills seems to strain the body nonetheless.
>
> I'd appreciate any comments.

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> >> I'm 60+ and my knees are history.
> >
> >Age is a state of mind
>
> You'll understand better in about 40 years.

Thanks! The year 2043, great.

Dashii

In article <H7gDa.14690$d51.64878@sccrnsc01>, [email protected] says...

> "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > RE/
> > >
> > >Age is a state of mind
> >
> > You'll understand better in about 40 years.
>
> Thanks! The year 2043, great.

Good . . . patience is a state of mind.

Rick