rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Biking as cross training and MOPE

Started by underdog · · Last activity · 1 post · 315 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
26 May 2006
Last activity
26 May 2006
Original author
underdog
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
315
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. OK. First. I had a really great MOPE moment yesterday. And to give
    credit where credit its due, the first use of MOPE (My Own Personal
    Everest) that I encountered was in a recent post by Mikefule. So, nice
    acronym Mike (if you're indeed the coiner of said acronym). I think
    it's the best one since UPD.🙂 Anyway there is a hill in my
    neighborhood that is a fairly steep paved road and has become, over the
    past few month, my nemesis. I don't know what percent the grade is but
    it's one that I need to really gear down my mountain bike for. I'm
    sure many of you could go up this one backwards, in your sleep, but it
    has confounded my every time. I had just ridden into town to go pick
    up some new glasses from the optician and was on my way home. I
    decided to take the long way into the neighborhood and this concludes
    with THE HILL. I was feeling the anxiety about a hundred meters before
    I even started the climb (defeated before I even began) and I turned
    the corner and headed up the street. I felt a bit shakey and wasn't
    keeping a good line. I made it about 50 meters up and just before it
    turns 90 degrees to the right and gets steeper, I UPDd.😠 I cursed
    and growled and picked up the uni and, in anger, slammed the tire down
    on the ground. This is a fairly typical scene on this hill and usually
    by the time I get here I'm pretty exhausted and I end up walking the
    uni up the hill to where it levels off and finish my ride home. This
    time I was angry enough that I walked it back down the hill and started
    at the bottom again. I'm on my 29er, which I still have a little bit
    of trouble free mounting. I got up on it first try but a little shakey
    and I didn't get my foot placement exactly where I wanted it on the
    pedal. I managed about a 2 second still-stand and readjusted my foot
    and started up the hill. Still a bit shakey, mostly from exhaustion, I
    started to grind up the hill. I really tried to concentrate on keeping
    my momentum up and I made it to the turn. I got around the corner.
    This is my usual UPD point and I almost lost momentum as the hill gets
    noticably steeper right here. I managed to stay on top of it and kept
    going. I got about half way up the steep grade and was still going.
    At this point I was really going through the internal stuggle of
    keeping focus on the climb vs. the little voice inside my head saying,
    "you're not gonna make it." I focused on a driveway entering the
    street near the top of the climb and told myself that, if I make it to
    that driveway, I've got it! As I got close to the driveway, that
    irritating little voice was getting louder but I kept going. 5 meters,
    3 meters, 1 meter, there! At this point it was still 10 to 15 meters
    to the crest but the grade starts to level out and I knew I had it. I
    relaxed, but not too much just yet. And then, I was there. Dripping
    with sweat and grinning ear to ear, I pedalled to the next turn towards
    my house, dismounted and got the water bottle out of my back pack for a
    drink. I remounted, first try, and rode the last half mile home,
    knowing that I just made a real, noteworthy improvement in my
    unicycling.😄 😄

    Now for my observation in bike crosstraining. I haven't logged 10
    miles on a bicycle since my obsessive/compulsive disorder got
    re-focused on unicycling. I used to be a 3 to 4 thousand mile a year
    road biker. Well, with gas prices rising and a recent boost in
    motivation brought on by National Bike to Work Week (May 15-19) I've
    outfitted my mountain bike as a commuter and started riding it. It
    makes for an 80 mile week, roughly, so it's more biking than I've done
    in a couple of years. It took a couple of days to really start feeling
    my 'spin' again, but it came back quickly and naturally. I continued
    to ride my uni daily, when I got home from work, and after a few days I
    noticed that my pedalling cadence was smoother than it had ever been.
    I've been frustrated by the fact that my pedalling on the uni has
    always been a little bit jerky with too many little hesitations and
    corrections in it. I've been actually able to ride for about a year
    and a half now and I've felt really frustrated and sometimes angry that
    I don't ride better after that time. Well, the smoother cadance has
    been noticable and has really helped my endurance and speed. I still
    have a long ways to go but I think that remembering the smooth cadance
    I have on the bicycle has been benificial to unicycling. And there you
    have it. Thanks for listening.🙂

    --
    underdog

    'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
    tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49772

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.