biking from New London Conn to Wellesley, Mass

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mrmel

I want to ride from my home in Glen Cove, to Orient Point, take the ferry to New London, and
then ride to Wellesley, where my son lives. I know the roads on long Island fairly well, but
would you recommend a route, (low traffic, small to no hills) for the section from New London to
Wellesley. Mel

"MrMel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I want to ride from my home in Glen Cove, to Orient Point, take the ferry to New London, and
> then ride to Wellesley, where my son lives. I know the roads on long Island fairly well, but
> would you recommend a route, (low traffic, small to no hills) for the section from New London to
> Wellesley. Mel

Good luck getting no hills in CT - not going to happen. CT is pretty hilly.

Jon Bond

news:<[email protected]>...
> I want to ride from my home in Glen Cove, to Orient Point, take the ferry to New London, and
> then ride to Wellesley, where my son lives. I know the roads on long Island fairly well, but
> would you recommend a route, (low traffic, small to no hills) for the section from New London to
> Wellesley. Mel

Mel,

I have two suggestions for you....first, post your question to rec.bicycle.rides. I'm sure someone
has a good route for you.

Second, I looked at the maps of the area ( I live in the New London area ). Not knowing the Mass
roads very well, I would assume that one of the better ways to get you up to Mass would be to take
Ct Rte 12 all the way from Groton (across the river from Nlon) to Webster Ma. Most of the route is
rural, with a couple of built up areas. I've ridden Rte 12 (and it's parallel Rte 169) many times. I
have no idea what Ma Rte 16 (from Webster to Wellsley) is like...i've never ridden up there.

However, this section of the state is hilly...not too many long hills, but bunches of short steep
gut busters. And cows....jeez, I hate the smell of live cow.....

Getting from the Ferry to the Thames River bridge crossing is is bit of a pain...if you wish, I can
provide you with exact directions.

Good Luck.

John D.

news:<[email protected]>...
> Wellesley. Mel

Unfortunately, Jon is correct - the northeast corner of CT is pretty hilly. A few years ago I did a
three day tour from Manchester, CT to Portland, Maine. The worst hills of the entire trip were in CT
as we paralleled I-84 to the Massachusetts border. I'd suggest taking a more easterly route towards
Providence before heading north to Wellesley. You'll be dealing with more traffic and suburban
congestion, but it should be flatter.

Pat Clancy

news:[email protected]...
> Wellesley. Mel

2 suggestions, at least for the MA sections:

- get a copy of the Rubel Bike map for Eastern MA (web site available)

- visit the cue sheet repository at www.crw.org

Status
Not open for further replies.