Biking in 100+ heat, tires holding up, etc-- Vegas to Hoover Dam

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Anonymous, May 24, 2003.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Hey all,

    I'm gonna be in Vegas for a few days next week. I was planning to ride from downtown to Hoover Dam.
    It's about 80 miles round trip.

    But the weather is predicted to be 104 and 99 on the two days which I can ride. I'll have a backpack
    for carrying extra water, food, tires, and tubes. Road bike of course.

    What should I mount, wire or kevlar bead tires? Should I run higher, lower, or the same pressure as
    normal? (100f, 120r) I only have 700x23 currently, need I get some x25 or wider? Anything else for
    which to look out?

    Is this too hot to ride such distances? I've ridden in high 80 temps and do 65 milers with 3000' of
    climbing, but never this combo of length and high heat. I'm in good shape, an 80 miler with mild
    climbing is no biggie otherwise. The only major grade is to/from the dam, 1400' in about 7 miles. I
    do 2400' in 6 miles in cool temps fairly regularly.

    Anyone done this ride at all?

    Thanks, Doug

    Tags:

  2. Dr. Dave

    Dr. Dave Guest

    Doug wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm gonna be in Vegas for a few days next week. I was planning to ride from downtown to Hoover
    > Dam. It's about 80 miles round trip.
    >
    > But the weather is predicted to be 104 and 99 on the two days which I can ride. I'll have a
    > backpack for carrying extra water, food, tires, and tubes. Road bike of course.
    >
    > What should I mount, wire or kevlar bead tires? Should I run higher, lower, or the same pressure
    > as normal? (100f, 120r) I only have 700x23 currently, need I get some x25 or wider? Anything else
    > for which to look out?
    >
    > Is this too hot to ride such distances? I've ridden in high 80 temps and do 65 milers with 3000'
    > of climbing, but never this combo of length and high heat. I'm in good shape, an 80 miler with
    > mild climbing is no biggie otherwise. The only major grade is to/from the dam, 1400' in about 7
    > miles. I do 2400' in 6 miles in cool temps fairly regularly.
    >
    > Anyone done this ride at all?
    >
    > Thanks, Doug
    The only adjustments I make for riding in 100+ temps is more water and sunscreen. 700x23 work fine
    for me, but I stick to fairly decent roads. If you have rough surfaces, you might want to go with
    the 700x25.

    I try to take a break every 50 miles or so and sit in the shade for a little while if I can.

  3. On Sat, 24 May 2003 20:45:02 +0000, Doug wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm gonna be in Vegas for a few days next week. I was planning to ride from downtown to Hoover
    > Dam. It's about 80 miles round trip.
    >
    > But the weather is predicted to be 104 and 99 on the two days which I can ride. I'll have a
    > backpack for carrying extra water, food, tires, and tubes. Road bike of course.
    >
    > What should I mount, wire or kevlar bead tires?

    Doesn't matter.

    > Should I run higher, lower, or the same pressure as normal? (100f, 120r)

    Same as normal. I wouldn't go as high as 120, but that is a general statement. This amount of warm
    weather is not a particular problem. That's not even all that hot for that part of the world.

    I only have
    > 700x23 currently, need I get some x25 or wider? Anything else for which to look out?
    >
    > Is this too hot to ride such distances?

    Certainly not. People ride in Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, and Central California (where I
    grew up) all the time. Worst problem is salt accumulation on your skin and clothes.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the
    pig likes it! (_)/ (_) |

  4. Ian S

    Ian S Guest

    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm gonna be in Vegas for a few days next week. I was planning to ride from downtown to Hoover
    > Dam. It's about 80 miles round trip.
    >
    > But the weather is predicted to be 104 and 99 on the two days which I can ride. I'll have a
    > backpack for carrying extra water, food, tires, and tubes. Road bike of course.
    >
    > What should I mount, wire or kevlar bead tires? Should I run higher, lower, or the same pressure
    > as normal? (100f, 120r) I only have 700x23 currently, need I get some x25 or wider? Anything else
    > for which to look out?
    >
    > Is this too hot to ride such distances? I've ridden in high 80 temps and do 65 milers with 3000'
    > of climbing, but never this combo of length and high heat. I'm in good shape, an 80 miler with
    > mild climbing is no biggie otherwise. The only major grade is to/from the dam, 1400' in about 7
    > miles. I do 2400' in 6 miles in cool temps fairly regularly.
    >
    > Anyone done this ride at all?
    >
    > Thanks, Doug

    Here in Phoenix where it's even hotter than Vegas, I find that the low humidity permits fairly
    comfortable cycling under 105 degrees. The key is to drink plenty of water on a trip like that. Take
    some pretzels along if you like. Use a high numbered sunscreen that's water resistant and you might
    even want to reapply it prior to your return. The sun is intense at this time of year. If I were you
    I'd get as early a start as possible - it's light at 6:00 - since the mornings are the best time of
    the day. The deserts cool off a lot at night: 25 to 30 degrees. As far as tire pressures, just run
    what you normally do.

    Ian

  5. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    >I'm gonna be in Vegas for a few days next week. I was planning to ride from downtown to Hoover Dam.
    >It's about 80 miles round trip.
    >
    >But the weather is predicted to be 104 and 99 on the two days which I can ride. I'll have a
    >backpack for carrying extra water, food, tires, and tubes. Road bike of course.
    >
    >What should I mount, wire or kevlar bead tires? Should I run higher, lower, or the same pressure as
    >normal? (100f, 120r) I only have 700x23 currently, need I get some x25 or wider? Anything else for
    >which to look out?
    >
    >Is this too hot to ride such distances? I've ridden in high 80 temps and do 65 milers with 3000' of
    >climbing, but never this combo of length and high heat. I'm in good shape, an 80 miler with mild
    >climbing is no biggie otherwise. The only major grade is to/from the dam, 1400' in about 7 miles. I
    >do 2400' in 6 miles in cool temps fairly regularly.

    As David Johnson said, don't sweat the tire pressure, etc. As a regular Arizona rider, I ride up to
    110f (43C) or more all the time. The key is to take LOTS of water (much more than you think you'll
    need), wear sun screen, and start slow. Starting slow is very important since it allows you to
    adjust to the heat, and to build up a healthy sweat before you really push.

  6. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Doug wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm gonna be in Vegas for a few days next week. I was planning to ride from downtown to Hoover
    > Dam. It's about 80 miles round trip.
    >
    > But the weather is predicted to be 104 and 99 on the two days which I can ride. I'll have a
    > backpack for carrying extra water, food, tires, and tubes. Road bike of course.
    >
    > What should I mount, wire or kevlar bead tires? Should I run higher, lower, or the same pressure
    > as normal? (100f, 120r) I only have 700x23 currently, need I get some x25 or wider? Anything else
    > for which to look out?
    >
    > Is this too hot to ride such distances? I've ridden in high 80 temps and do 65 milers with 3000'
    > of climbing, but never this combo of length and high heat. I'm in good shape, an 80 miler with
    > mild climbing is no biggie otherwise. The only major grade is to/from the dam, 1400' in about 7
    > miles. I do 2400' in 6 miles in cool temps fairly regularly.
    >
    > Anyone done this ride at all?
    >
    > Thanks, Doug

    I drove the area back in January. The ride looks good, almost pleasant. Navigating downtown might be
    a problem but an experienced road warrior should be okay. The route is more of a false flat when you
    get to the edges of the metro area: no flats.

    Good advice from those who live/ride there. But be mentally prepared for the heat to potentially do
    you in. The strong sunscreen and ample water should help, but if you're only acclimatized to high
    80's, the very dry 100+ could be too much.

    If you take the heat seriously, you'll probably be okay. But I've had experiences where I actually
    overdid the water/other fluids, and sort of reverse-bonked. (I don't think it was hypnotremia or
    whatever it's called, just a bloated and sluggish feeling.)

    Go out expecting to kick ass and have a fun ride, but planning to fuel yourself properly.

  7. I wouldn't worry about your tires, run them at normal pressure. I've ridden in 105=BA heat on the
    Climb to Kaiser many times, and my tires have always held up fine at their recommended max pressure,
    as has the rider.

    Fortunatly, in an arid desert climate, an evaproative cooling system like sweating is at it's most
    efficient. Just be sure you keep it filled and don't over tax it.

  8. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "Ian S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey all,
    > >
    > > I'm gonna be in Vegas for a few days next week. I was planning to ride from downtown to Hoover
    > > Dam. It's about 80 miles round trip.
    > >
    > > But the weather is predicted to be 104 and 99 on the two days which
    > > can ride. I'll have a backpack for carrying extra water, food,
    tires,
    > > and tubes. Road bike of course.
    > >
    > > What should I mount, wire or kevlar bead tires? Should I run
    higher,
    > > lower, or the same pressure as normal? (100f, 120r) I only have 700x23 currently, need I get
    > > some x25 or wider? Anything else for which to look out?
    > >
    > > Is this too hot to ride such distances? I've ridden in high 80
    temps
    > > and do 65 milers with 3000' of climbing, but never this combo of length and high heat. I'm in
    > > good shape, an 80 miler with mild climbing is no biggie otherwise. The only major grade is
    > > to/from
    the
    > > dam, 1400' in about 7 miles. I do 2400' in 6 miles in cool temps fairly regularly.
    > >
    > > Anyone done this ride at all?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Doug
    >
    > Here in Phoenix where it's even hotter than Vegas, I find that the low humidity permits fairly
    > comfortable cycling under 105 degrees. The key
    is to
    > drink plenty of water on a trip like that. Take some pretzels along if
    you
    > like. Use a high numbered sunscreen that's water resistant and you
    might
    > even want to reapply it prior to your return. The sun is intense at
    this
    > time of year. If I were you I'd get as early a start as possible -
    it's
    > light at 6:00 - since the mornings are the best time of the day. The
    deserts
    > cool off a lot at night: 25 to 30 degrees. As far as tire pressures,
    just
    > run what you normally do.

    When riding through the desert for more than a day or so, I used to use a long sleeve cotton/poly
    shirt (like an old dress shirt) to keep the sun off. This was many years ago, and sun blockers were
    not as good back then. My skin just could not take that much sun over several days. I doubt that
    today's fashion conscious riders would be into the Bedouin look. -- Jay Beattie.