Biking in 100+ heat, tires holding up, etc-- Vegas to Hoover Dam

Anonymous

Guest
Hey all,

I'm gonna be in Vegas for a few days next week. I was planning to ride from downtown to Hoover Dam.
It's about 80 miles round trip.

But the weather is predicted to be 104 and 99 on the two days which I can ride. I'll have a backpack
for carrying extra water, food, tires, and tubes. Road bike of course.

What should I mount, wire or kevlar bead tires? Should I run higher, lower, or the same pressure as
normal? (100f, 120r) I only have 700x23 currently, need I get some x25 or wider? Anything else for
which to look out?

Is this too hot to ride such distances? I've ridden in high 80 temps and do 65 milers with 3000' of
climbing, but never this combo of length and high heat. I'm in good shape, an 80 miler with mild
climbing is no biggie otherwise. The only major grade is to/from the dam, 1400' in about 7 miles. I
do 2400' in 6 miles in cool temps fairly regularly.

Anyone done this ride at all?

Thanks, Doug

Doug wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm gonna be in Vegas for a few days next week. I was planning to ride from downtown to Hoover
> Dam. It's about 80 miles round trip.
>
> But the weather is predicted to be 104 and 99 on the two days which I can ride. I'll have a
> backpack for carrying extra water, food, tires, and tubes. Road bike of course.
>
> What should I mount, wire or kevlar bead tires? Should I run higher, lower, or the same pressure
> as normal? (100f, 120r) I only have 700x23 currently, need I get some x25 or wider? Anything else
> for which to look out?
>
> Is this too hot to ride such distances? I've ridden in high 80 temps and do 65 milers with 3000'
> of climbing, but never this combo of length and high heat. I'm in good shape, an 80 miler with
> mild climbing is no biggie otherwise. The only major grade is to/from the dam, 1400' in about 7
> miles. I do 2400' in 6 miles in cool temps fairly regularly.
>
> Anyone done this ride at all?
>
> Thanks, Doug
The only adjustments I make for riding in 100+ temps is more water and sunscreen. 700x23 work fine
for me, but I stick to fairly decent roads. If you have rough surfaces, you might want to go with
the 700x25.

I try to take a break every 50 miles or so and sit in the shade for a little while if I can.

On Sat, 24 May 2003 20:45:02 +0000, Doug wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm gonna be in Vegas for a few days next week. I was planning to ride from downtown to Hoover
> Dam. It's about 80 miles round trip.
>
> But the weather is predicted to be 104 and 99 on the two days which I can ride. I'll have a
> backpack for carrying extra water, food, tires, and tubes. Road bike of course.
>
> What should I mount, wire or kevlar bead tires?

Doesn't matter.

> Should I run higher, lower, or the same pressure as normal? (100f, 120r)

Same as normal. I wouldn't go as high as 120, but that is a general statement. This amount of warm
weather is not a particular problem. That's not even all that hot for that part of the world.

I only have
> 700x23 currently, need I get some x25 or wider? Anything else for which to look out?
>
> Is this too hot to ride such distances?

Certainly not. People ride in Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, and Central California (where I
grew up) all the time. Worst problem is salt accumulation on your skin and clothes.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the
pig likes it! (_)/ (_) |

news:[email protected]...
> Hey all,
>
> I'm gonna be in Vegas for a few days next week. I was planning to ride from downtown to Hoover
> Dam. It's about 80 miles round trip.
>
> But the weather is predicted to be 104 and 99 on the two days which I can ride. I'll have a
> backpack for carrying extra water, food, tires, and tubes. Road bike of course.
>
> What should I mount, wire or kevlar bead tires? Should I run higher, lower, or the same pressure
> as normal? (100f, 120r) I only have 700x23 currently, need I get some x25 or wider? Anything else
> for which to look out?
>
> Is this too hot to ride such distances? I've ridden in high 80 temps and do 65 milers with 3000'
> of climbing, but never this combo of length and high heat. I'm in good shape, an 80 miler with
> mild climbing is no biggie otherwise. The only major grade is to/from the dam, 1400' in about 7
> miles. I do 2400' in 6 miles in cool temps fairly regularly.
>
> Anyone done this ride at all?
>
> Thanks, Doug

Here in Phoenix where it's even hotter than Vegas, I find that the low humidity permits fairly
comfortable cycling under 105 degrees. The key is to drink plenty of water on a trip like that. Take
some pretzels along if you like. Use a high numbered sunscreen that's water resistant and you might
even want to reapply it prior to your return. The sun is intense at this time of year. If I were you
I'd get as early a start as possible - it's light at 6:00 - since the mornings are the best time of
the day. The deserts cool off a lot at night: 25 to 30 degrees. As far as tire pressures, just run
what you normally do.

Ian

>I'm gonna be in Vegas for a few days next week. I was planning to ride from downtown to Hoover Dam.
>It's about 80 miles round trip.
>
>But the weather is predicted to be 104 and 99 on the two days which I can ride. I'll have a
>backpack for carrying extra water, food, tires, and tubes. Road bike of course.
>
>What should I mount, wire or kevlar bead tires? Should I run higher, lower, or the same pressure as
>normal? (100f, 120r) I only have 700x23 currently, need I get some x25 or wider? Anything else for
>which to look out?
>
>Is this too hot to ride such distances? I've ridden in high 80 temps and do 65 milers with 3000' of
>climbing, but never this combo of length and high heat. I'm in good shape, an 80 miler with mild
>climbing is no biggie otherwise. The only major grade is to/from the dam, 1400' in about 7 miles. I
>do 2400' in 6 miles in cool temps fairly regularly.

As David Johnson said, don't sweat the tire pressure, etc. As a regular Arizona rider, I ride up to
110f (43C) or more all the time. The key is to take LOTS of water (much more than you think you'll
need), wear sun screen, and start slow. Starting slow is very important since it allows you to
adjust to the heat, and to build up a healthy sweat before you really push.

Doug wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm gonna be in Vegas for a few days next week. I was planning to ride from downtown to Hoover
> Dam. It's about 80 miles round trip.
>
> But the weather is predicted to be 104 and 99 on the two days which I can ride. I'll have a
> backpack for carrying extra water, food, tires, and tubes. Road bike of course.
>
> What should I mount, wire or kevlar bead tires? Should I run higher, lower, or the same pressure
> as normal? (100f, 120r) I only have 700x23 currently, need I get some x25 or wider? Anything else
> for which to look out?
>
> Is this too hot to ride such distances? I've ridden in high 80 temps and do 65 milers with 3000'
> of climbing, but never this combo of length and high heat. I'm in good shape, an 80 miler with
> mild climbing is no biggie otherwise. The only major grade is to/from the dam, 1400' in about 7
> miles. I do 2400' in 6 miles in cool temps fairly regularly.
>
> Anyone done this ride at all?
>
> Thanks, Doug

I drove the area back in January. The ride looks good, almost pleasant. Navigating downtown might be
a problem but an experienced road warrior should be okay. The route is more of a false flat when you
get to the edges of the metro area: no flats.

Good advice from those who live/ride there. But be mentally prepared for the heat to potentially do
you in. The strong sunscreen and ample water should help, but if you're only acclimatized to high
80's, the very dry 100+ could be too much.

If you take the heat seriously, you'll probably be okay. But I've had experiences where I actually
overdid the water/other fluids, and sort of reverse-bonked. (I don't think it was hypnotremia or
whatever it's called, just a bloated and sluggish feeling.)

Go out expecting to kick ass and have a fun ride, but planning to fuel yourself properly.

I wouldn't worry about your tires, run them at normal pressure. I've ridden in 105=BA heat on the
Climb to Kaiser many times, and my tires have always held up fine at their recommended max pressure,
as has the rider.

Fortunatly, in an arid desert climate, an evaproative cooling system like sweating is at it's most
efficient. Just be sure you keep it filled and don't over tax it.

"Ian S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> news:[email protected]...
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'm gonna be in Vegas for a few days next week. I was planning to ride from downtown to Hoover
> > Dam. It's about 80 miles round trip.
> >
> > But the weather is predicted to be 104 and 99 on the two days which
> > can ride. I'll have a backpack for carrying extra water, food,
tires,
> > and tubes. Road bike of course.
> >
> > What should I mount, wire or kevlar bead tires? Should I run
higher,
> > lower, or the same pressure as normal? (100f, 120r) I only have 700x23 currently, need I get
> > some x25 or wider? Anything else for which to look out?
> >
> > Is this too hot to ride such distances? I've ridden in high 80
temps
> > and do 65 milers with 3000' of climbing, but never this combo of length and high heat. I'm in
> > good shape, an 80 miler with mild climbing is no biggie otherwise. The only major grade is
> > to/from
the
> > dam, 1400' in about 7 miles. I do 2400' in 6 miles in cool temps fairly regularly.
> >
> > Anyone done this ride at all?
> >
> > Thanks, Doug
>
> Here in Phoenix where it's even hotter than Vegas, I find that the low humidity permits fairly
> comfortable cycling under 105 degrees. The key
is to
> drink plenty of water on a trip like that. Take some pretzels along if
you
> like. Use a high numbered sunscreen that's water resistant and you
might
> even want to reapply it prior to your return. The sun is intense at
this
> time of year. If I were you I'd get as early a start as possible -
it's
> light at 6:00 - since the mornings are the best time of the day. The
deserts
> cool off a lot at night: 25 to 30 degrees. As far as tire pressures,
just
> run what you normally do.

When riding through the desert for more than a day or so, I used to use a long sleeve cotton/poly
shirt (like an old dress shirt) to keep the sun off. This was many years ago, and sun blockers were
not as good back then. My skin just could not take that much sun over several days. I doubt that
today's fashion conscious riders would be into the Bedouin look. -- Jay Beattie.