Biking in heels...anyone have trouble doing it?

bikeinheels

Dec 23, 2014
Hi all,

I bike daily for my commute to work and I always bike in my work clothes and in heels. I love biking in heels, it's much easier on my feet and I think its great, but it's not very safe and my shoes get damaged. Is anyone else having a similar problem? Any products out there to make it easier/better/safer? How do you ladies feel about biking in heels? many of my friends want to do it (some think I'm crazy, others think I'm brave) but are nervous. Just wanted to get some feedback and get a conversation started.

thanks!

Originally Posted by bikeinheels
Hi all,

I bike daily for my commute to work and I always bike in my work clothes and in heels. I love biking in heels, it's much easier on my feet and I think its great, but it's not very safe and my shoes get damaged. Is anyone else having a similar problem? Any products out there to make it easier/better/safer? How do you ladies feel about biking in heels? many of my friends want to do it (some think I'm crazy, others think I'm brave) but are nervous. Just wanted to get some feedback and get a conversation started.

thanks!
Presumably your shoes are good quality?
I can't see the necessity for cycling in good quality shoes, when there are cheaper and more weather resistant options.

You are so brave and biking in heels is so strange, too. However, do what you like if it is comfortable for you.
I bike to school everyday in canvas shoes, sometimes sandals. You can try some other kinds of shoes and who knows, you can find some interests.

I lived in the Netherlands for 18 months and I was always surprised by how many woman wore heels while biking. Truly, I think it's a superpower! :) I can't do it, I've tried, and it ended up badly. I would personally suggest keeping a small pair of tennis shoes in a bag that hangs from the back bike rack. That should take care of your problem. You could use the tennis shoes and then slip them off when you get to the office. Good luck!

Yees! How could you even bike in heels? Heels aren't adequate shoes for biking. Noooo!

I personally don't think it is safe to ride a bike in heels. It is possible as long as you put the flat side of the shoes on the pedal. However, what's dangerous about this is when you get into an accident and you need more force on to the pedal. Most heeled shoes have very slippery soles and this is a disadvantage when riding a bike. Also, it can cause muscle strain because your foot tends to grip on the pedal in a more forceful way just way you are not wearing appropriate shoes. Overall, I think it is still better if you will wear biking shoes and then just change to your heels when you arrive in the office.

Biking in heels has its own disadvantage. Walking in heels leads to back pain to a woman. imagine what biking in heels Could do. A lot of women are comfortable because they have been doing it for a long time but that does not mean it does not have any disadvantages.

I can honestly say I am not there yet! I might do it at some point in the future as I do love and miss my heels, but for the moment I will get comfortable on my bike and hopefully gain a little bit more confidence before attempting to ride in the heels.

I wouldn't for safety reasons. If the heel gets hooked on something and you end up in an accident then you're in for a world of pain and issues. Trust me it's the same with women who ride motorcycles in heels. Same thing applies for bicycles and I do both. There's a reason why people stress to wear certain foot gear when riding be it a bicycle or motorcycle.

Why would you ever even consider doing something like this? Heels are literally the worst footwear option for doing anything that involves physical activity. One wrong move on a bike and you could wind up with broken ankles, or maybe a heel could stick into someone's body during an accident. I'd rather take the safe road and actually wear something that's designed for cycling!

I find very strange to bike in heels for all the reasons stated above, it can even be dangerous, not to mention that you can damage the shows of course. I'd prefer to do it bare feet than with heels.

How can you bike in heels? Heels are already a bit damaging to the feet. because of the design of heels they put some stress on different parts of the foot. Personally, I cannot imagine biking in heels but I also don't have the luxury to bike to work and back so I have never tried. Well, if it works for you then go for it!

I don't like wearing my work clothes and shoes while I am driving to work. I live in a very hot, tropical climate, and I don't fancy arriving at work all sweaty. I always change my clothes and freshen up in my office before I start the day. But I have been known to pedal to work in my flip-flops, which is more due to absent-mindedness rather than conscious choice. :)

Solution is to not cycle in heels. Simple as that, lol. Doesn't need a lot of rationality and logic. You can't cycle in heels, that just doesn't work and it's not meant to be that way, they would break easily and heels shouldn't even of been invented, they're so bad.

If your soles are rubber and your heels are wide, you probably won't have a problem. I wouldn't try it with plastic or smooth leather soles though, not enough grip. Traction is the most important thing here, you don't want your foot sliding off the side of the pedal. I've done it before in shoes that had softer rubber soles and felt quite comfortable with it, but it definitely makes the lower legs work harder than wearing flat shoes does. Muscle strain is only going to be an issue if you are not really that strong yet. Whatever footware you choose, just make sure you take a moment to stretch after your commute. Your legs will be much happier for it.

This doesn't look that comfortable if you ask me, it's prone to accidents...

highheelsandtwowheels-6601.jpg

I can't walk, stand up, sit correctly, or anything else with heels on. I'm not going to lie, I'm impressed!

I have never tried to honest but I dont think I would be able to do it so Im very impressed that you even attempted it!

I don't think I've seen anyone where I live bike in heels. I can't imagine doing this because my legs are usually sore after wearing heels at work, the last thing I want to do is bike. Have you thought about wearing flats, and changing shoes when you get to work? I know this is an obvious point.

I see so many women in Japan riding bicycles while wearing heels, and I don't know how they do it! A lot of them also do it while wearing tight knee-length skirts so that they have to ride with their knees touching. I would hurt my knees if I tried to do that! I'm sorry I don't have any good advice for the original poster, but like kana_marie said above, I can't even walk in heels. :lol: