Biking in heels...anyone have trouble doing it?

Japan is an exceptional case jeannette, they do things totally differently than the rest of the world. I guess we could adjust to that, but is there really a need for it?

Sunflogun said:
Japan is an exceptional case jeannette, they do things totally differently than the rest of the world. I guess we could adjust to that, but is there really a need for it?
Thanks for your reply! I wasn't saying that because Japan does it others should do it. I was merely expressing my awe for the women who can and do ride in heels. Also, it's a common belief that Japan does things very differently from the rest of the world, but all countries are different. That women in Japan ride with heels shouldn't be dismissed because it's "just Japan." After all, women in the Netherlands also do it, according to a previous poster. Anyway, that's just my two cents.

Reactions: Femiluv
itsmejeannette said:
Thanks for your reply! I wasn't saying that because Japan does it others should do it. I was merely expressing my awe for the women who can and do ride in heels. Also, it's a common belief that Japan does things very differently from the rest of the world, but all countries are different. That women in Japan ride with heels shouldn't be dismissed because it's "just Japan." After all, women in the Netherlands also do it, according to a previous poster. Anyway, that's just my two cents.
That is so impressive about Japanese ladies. I also saw a few women riding in heels in a few cities in China when I visited last month. I was shocked because walking is hard enough.

My issue with biking in heels (which I've done once or twice) is that I use my feet on turns & with braking. It's involuntary & super problematic when I'm wearing something like heels or sandals or if I'm barefoot. Trust me I've had the war wounds to prove it.

If you can do it, and do so safely more power to you. I personally wouldn't wear heels even if I was a woman. They look awful for the feet and I can't imagine walking in them let alone riding a bicycle in them. It must take some skill to be sure.

Sunflogun said:
This doesn't look that comfortable if you ask me, it's prone to accidents...

highheelsandtwowheels-6601.jpg
Lol, absolutely.

itsmejeannette said:
That's true. I was in Tokyo for one month and they are different. Also, it's a matter of habit, if we get used to it we can do it, why not? :)

To be honest, I've never seen anyone biking in heels, or I just didn't pay attention. I think its so uncomfortable and awkward. Well, maybe if you use a bike as a method of transport to get to the office and don't bother with changing your outfit later then maybe it can be an option. But don't you need lots of practice before you can even go on the street in such state? :huh:

Yep, it's a matter of getting used to it Pixie. Not that common for our society, but in societies where the bike is a common mean of transport, they go with heels and everything.

3430081518_391a2d39d5_m.jpg

Riding in heels doesn't seem very easy! Surprised you would want too but then again the guy above said it's common in some countries. I guess I can't even walk in them so riding a bike with them is a simply foreign concept. I have shoes I use on my commute to work then I just change into my dress shoes at work.

You are a brave one for biking in heels daily! I have to say, riding a bike with heels does not sound easy at all. Personally, I would never bike in heels because it would be too much of a problem. I would have to pedal with the bottom of my heels, which sounds very uncomfortable. I also would probably fall daily while attempting that. I prefer "Running shoes" because it has a flat bottom and is very comfortable. Overall, I think you are very care free and comfortable wearing heels! What a great way to save time for work!

That is the most important I feel, people actually are saving time by the simple fact that they don't need to change, just hop off the bike and ready for work.

That can be a difficult task to achieve at first. But when you get used to it you will find no problem. I myself have never tried and very few people try that. I prefer shoes with flat soles and light enough not to be troubling whenever I cycle.

Like everything, it's a matter of need and the cultural environment also plays a big role, I mean, if we grow up seeing everyone doing it, most likely we will do it too.

I can't walk properly with heels on! I really respect the ladies who are able to do any sort of physical activities with their heels on! Maybe they are more prone to accidents, but I would say that a woman who can work heels is probably less likely to catch herself in the middle of an accident than me, a clums with sneakers on.

That is quite interesting. I have never thought to commute to work on my bicycle. Of course I live like 20 miles from my job. I wear casual clothing at my job also. I guess I would not have to worry about making any decisions to bike in my heels. But wow, that is amazing that someone could do it. I would not think it was safe to bike in heels. I think I would be wearing sneakers and putting the heels in a bag.

I would never recommend biking in heels. Why not get yourself a cheap pair of flat shoes and put your heels in your bag to change into when you get to work? Or, even better, keep the heels in your locker all the time then you can wear them during the day and then just not bother taking them home with you at all. This is much safer than trying to ride in heels, as there is always the chance that they are going to get stuck somewhere, which would obviously not be a good thing for you at all. You should always make sure you're as safe as possible, particularly if you're cycling on the road, as this gives you the best possible chance of avoiding injury whilst you're cycling.

Honestly, I have no clue how to salvage your heels when you're biking with them on. The only advice would be to not wear them while cycling. I know that's not what you want to hear as you said you enjoy doing so but I'd hate to see anyone get into any accident from wearing heels while doing so. Heels can get stuck in the spokes, can get caught in the pedal if your foot slips, but I'm sure you are aware of the dangers. Have you looked into heel protectors? Is that what is getting damaged? They have such for outdoor weddings, it's a casing that you slide over the stiletto piece. If the front toe of the shoe is scuffing, I can't see any way of avoiding that unless you are willing to maybe put a layer of masking tape or painters tape on the toe that can come right off once you reach your destination.

Let us know what you come up with in the end, I'm interested in whatever you figure out.