biking in Italy ?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Toscaida, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Toscaida

    Toscaida Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a few questions concerning biking in Italy, more precisely in and around Torino. I am
    considering the possibility of relocating there for a few years for business reasons. I've tried a
    Google search - but due to my not yet existing knowledge of Italian (Google's Italian translator
    gives gibberish) I couldn't find the info I'm looking for. I found out that apparently a bike seems
    to be a good means of transportation in the city of Torino itself - true ? Now, my question is,
    about bike clubs and races. I've taken up biking a few years ago, and started out doing centuries
    and the like. About 1 1/2 years ago I started racing, just for the fun of it, so I'm fairly
    entry-level (though pretty decent for a newbie). Are there any cycling clubs in/around Torino where
    I might fit in - i.e. not "pure" racing clubs, but not really slow ones ? And, do amateur
    entry-level races exist in Italy ? All info, links to webpages, personal experiences are greatly
    appreciated !

    Thanks !

    Tags:

  2. Mr.Sli

    Mr.Sli Guest

    "toscaida" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a few questions concerning biking in Italy, more precisely in and around Torino. I am
    > considering the possibility of

    You should try to post in it.hobby.cicloturismo or it.sport.ciclismo, or try the site
    http://www.ithobbycicloturismo.it/ where you can obtain single contacts. You will find guys living
    in Turin and you will have some good contacts, just to begin cycling here in Italy.

    BTW There are competive/non-competitive (MTB o Road) races every week end from february to october.

    Ciao

    from Milano Italy

  3. In article <[email protected]>, mr.sli
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "toscaida" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I have a few questions concerning biking in Italy, more precisely in and around Torino. I am
    > > considering the possibility of
    >

    > You should try to post in it.hobby.cicloturismo or it.sport.ciclismo, or try the site
    > http://www.ithobbycicloturismo.it/ where you can obtain single contacts. You will find guys living
    > in Turin and you will have some good contacts, just to begin cycling here in Italy.
    >
    > BTW There are competive/non-competitive (MTB o Road) races every week end from february to
    > october.
    >

    > Ciao
    >
    > from Milano Italy

    Well, being in Italy is a step forward. I haven't biked in Torino but I've driven there and the
    traffic is hell in the city. You need very good street smarts to avoid being run over. Once you get
    out of town, it's heaven in Piemonte and Val d'Aosta. It's just that old Zoroastrian dichotomy.

  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    You will love biking in Italy. No more pickups. Motorists who usually wave with their whole
    hand. Lots of people on bikes for transportation as well as recreation. Italians like bikes :)
    Bill Brannon

    "toscaida" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a few questions concerning biking in Italy, more precisely in and around Torino. I am
    > considering the possibility of relocating there for a few years for business reasons. I've tried a
    > Google search - but due to my not yet existing knowledge of Italian (Google's Italian translator
    > gives gibberish) I couldn't find the info I'm looking for. I found out that apparently a bike
    > seems to be a good means of transportation in the city of Torino itself - true ? Now, my question
    > is, about bike clubs and races. I've taken up biking a few years ago, and started out doing
    > centuries and the like. About 1 1/2 years ago I started racing, just for the fun of it, so I'm
    > fairly entry-level (though pretty decent for a newbie). Are there any cycling clubs in/around
    > Torino where I might fit in - i.e. not "pure" racing clubs, but not really slow ones ? And, do
    > amateur entry-level races exist in Italy ? All info, links to webpages, personal experiences are
    > greatly appreciated !
    >
    > Thanks !

  5. Last year's summer holiday in Tuscany was one where husband, son & I took our bikes. As it turned
    out, we didn't do a lot of cycling - but - on the local TV station was *regular* and
    *enthusiastic* coverage of local cycle races. Didn't understand a word of the commentary, but
    watching was still exciting.

    Cheers, helen s