biking in Italy ?

Toscaida

Guest
Hello all,

I have a few questions concerning biking in Italy, more precisely in and around Torino. I am
considering the possibility of relocating there for a few years for business reasons. I've tried a
Google search - but due to my not yet existing knowledge of Italian (Google's Italian translator
gives gibberish) I couldn't find the info I'm looking for. I found out that apparently a bike seems
to be a good means of transportation in the city of Torino itself - true ? Now, my question is,
about bike clubs and races. I've taken up biking a few years ago, and started out doing centuries
and the like. About 1 1/2 years ago I started racing, just for the fun of it, so I'm fairly
entry-level (though pretty decent for a newbie). Are there any cycling clubs in/around Torino where
I might fit in - i.e. not "pure" racing clubs, but not really slow ones ? And, do amateur
entry-level races exist in Italy ? All info, links to webpages, personal experiences are greatly
appreciated !

Thanks !

"toscaida" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello all,
>
> I have a few questions concerning biking in Italy, more precisely in and around Torino. I am
> considering the possibility of

You should try to post in it.hobby.cicloturismo or it.sport.ciclismo, or try the site
http://www.ithobbycicloturismo.it/ where you can obtain single contacts. You will find guys living
in Turin and you will have some good contacts, just to begin cycling here in Italy.

BTW There are competive/non-competitive (MTB o Road) races every week end from february to october.

Ciao

from Milano Italy

In article <[email protected]>, mr.sli
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "toscaida" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a few questions concerning biking in Italy, more precisely in and around Torino. I am
> > considering the possibility of
>

> You should try to post in it.hobby.cicloturismo or it.sport.ciclismo, or try the site
> http://www.ithobbycicloturismo.it/ where you can obtain single contacts. You will find guys living
> in Turin and you will have some good contacts, just to begin cycling here in Italy.
>
> BTW There are competive/non-competitive (MTB o Road) races every week end from february to
> october.
>

> Ciao
>
> from Milano Italy

Well, being in Italy is a step forward. I haven't biked in Torino but I've driven there and the
traffic is hell in the city. You need very good street smarts to avoid being run over. Once you get
out of town, it's heaven in Piemonte and Val d'Aosta. It's just that old Zoroastrian dichotomy.

You will love biking in Italy. No more pickups. Motorists who usually wave with their whole
hand. Lots of people on bikes for transportation as well as recreation. Italians like bikes :)
Bill Brannon

"toscaida" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello all,
>
> I have a few questions concerning biking in Italy, more precisely in and around Torino. I am
> considering the possibility of relocating there for a few years for business reasons. I've tried a
> Google search - but due to my not yet existing knowledge of Italian (Google's Italian translator
> gives gibberish) I couldn't find the info I'm looking for. I found out that apparently a bike
> seems to be a good means of transportation in the city of Torino itself - true ? Now, my question
> is, about bike clubs and races. I've taken up biking a few years ago, and started out doing
> centuries and the like. About 1 1/2 years ago I started racing, just for the fun of it, so I'm
> fairly entry-level (though pretty decent for a newbie). Are there any cycling clubs in/around
> Torino where I might fit in - i.e. not "pure" racing clubs, but not really slow ones ? And, do
> amateur entry-level races exist in Italy ? All info, links to webpages, personal experiences are
> greatly appreciated !
>
> Thanks !

Last year's summer holiday in Tuscany was one where husband, son & I took our bikes. As it turned
out, we didn't do a lot of cycling - but - on the local TV station was *regular* and
*enthusiastic* coverage of local cycle races. Didn't understand a word of the commentary, but
watching was still exciting.

Cheers, helen s