Biking in Latin America

The Flesh

Oct 13, 2005
Can someone give me some good information about bike riding in Latin American Countries? I'm doing a project for school about it and I'm having trouble finding sources.

The Flesh said:
Can someone give me some good information about bike riding in Latin American Countries? I'm doing a project for school about it and I'm having trouble finding sources.
If you are interested in Brazil, be specific about what you are looking for and I will try to help you.

wilmar13 said:
If you are interested in Brazil, be specific about what you are looking for and I will try to help you.
Any kind of information really.
Are there many trails?
How is road riding?
How are trails effected by deforestation?
How popular is the sport compared to the United States or Europe?
Are there many bike shops?
Are there any races?
Does riding attract a lot of tourism?
How prominent are bikes among the general public for transportation?

Thanks

The Flesh said:
Any kind of information really.
Are there many trails?
Yes
The Flesh said:
How is road riding?
Generally good. The roads are bad in much of the country, but you have wide shoulders on the superstradas and a few nice two lane hwys. Best to find a park, etc. and play a hamster going round and round though.
The Flesh said:
How are trails effected by deforestation?
? effected or affected? Trails become roads.
The Flesh said:
How popular is the sport compared to the United States or Europe?
= to US in urban areas, much less so in rural areas… less than Europe everywhere.
The Flesh said:
Are there many bike shops?
Yes many, same as US roughly.
The Flesh said:
Are there any races?
Yes, again in urban areas, but mostly crit type races, and the stage races are held on superstradas (interstates) BORING!
The Flesh said:
Does riding attract a lot of tourism?
Not in Brazil, but from inside the country I would say there is a burgeoning bike touring industry
The Flesh said:
How prominent are bikes among the general public for transportation?
Very, but they are one step up the foodchain from walking and they are what we would think of as beaters (excluding cyclism for recreation)…if you can’t afford a car you have a motorcycle, can’t afford a motorcycle you ride a bike…