biking in south america

Fredrik Mattiss

Guest
Hi,

I'm planning to do a long trip with my bike in south america, and I am looking for advices. The goal
is to bike from tierra del fuego in the south to US in the north. So far I have only been biking in
Europe. Where can I read more about biking in south/central america? homepages, newsgroups, books?

thanks in advance, Fredrik

"Fredrik Mattisson" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to do a long trip with my bike in south america, and I
am
> looking for advices. The goal is to bike from tierra del fuego in
the
> south to US in the north. So far I have only been biking in Europe. Where can I read more about
> biking in south/central america? homepages, newsgroups, books?
>
> thanks in advance, Fredrik

Hi Frederik,

Take a look at the website Travel to the Horizon (URL: www.raph.nl) for information on cycling in
South America: more than 100 links on cycling in Central and South America alone. And over 600 more
on cycling in other parts of the world.

Happy cycling,

Raph www.raph.nl

Having just returned from that part of the world (Chile and Argentina), after cycling and
backpacking, here are my thoughts:

1. Mountain bike with strong and simple-to-fix components, strong pannier racks.
2. LOTS of wind in Patagonia and Tierra del F, expecially Carretera Austral. Make sure you carry
ample food and water, as some of the distances between "civilizations" are quite long.
3. It helps if you can speak at least a bit Spanish, and understand as well.

Simon