Biking in the Outer Banks

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Velojim, May 25, 2003.

  1. Velojim

    Velojim Guest

    Heading down to the Outer Banks in June - we're staying in Nags HEad this year - milepost 16. We
    have always stayed up in Corolla in the past and have done the Southern Shores to Corolla ride for
    years and enjoyed it. WE will be riding with our son in a trailer now so not looking for anything
    too ambitious - just enough to get us out of the 6 BR house with lots of people and get some
    exercise as well. Anyone familiar with this area? Thanks

    Tags:

  2. What country and where?

  3. Velojim

    Velojim Guest

  4. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What country and where?

    Nags Head, North Carolina, USA

  5. For riding with the trailer, in the South Nags Head/Nags Head area, there is a bike path running
    alongside the beach road for approximately seven miles - decent paved path which is good for
    leisurely riding and kid riding.

    If you are letting loose without child, of course you can head south to NC 12 and just go as far you
    want. The road has a small shoulder and traffic lessens the further south you go. This is a wide
    open area with lots of wind and some great views, especially from atop the Oregon Inlet bridge, so I
    like to ride early in the morning to avoid the wind and traffic. Access on NC 12 is easy: south on
    beach road until it runs into NC 12 at mile post 21.

    Damien

    velojim wrote:

    > Heading down to the Outer Banks in June - we're staying in Nags HEad this year - milepost 16. We
    > have always stayed up in Corolla in the past and have done the Southern Shores to Corolla ride for
    > years and enjoyed it. WE will be riding with our son in a trailer now so not looking for anything
    > too ambitious - just enough to get us out of the 6 BR house with lots of people and get some
    > exercise as well. Anyone familiar with this area? Thanks

  6. Bianchi2

    Bianchi2 Guest

    We'll also be down at the Outer Banks for a couple of weeks beginning in early June. We've stayed at
    the same place now for several years...in the Ocean Sands area. My daily ride is from that area down
    to Southern Shores and then down thru Kitty Hawk and back. Never have used a trailer for kids
    though. Use a BOB trailer for trips to grocery and produce stand up Corolla way.....Can't wait!!!

  7. You can branch out your route by heading across Rt.12 on Hickory Trail or Sea Oats Trail. They both
    lead to East Dogwood Trail and then South Dogwood Trail. This puts you out at the traffic light just
    before the Food Lion when coming over the bridge from the mainland. If you cross Rt.158, the road
    (1206?) will loop around to Rt.158 again near the Post Office on the Kitty Hawk Road. There is
    little traffic back there and you can find some roads off 1206 with short 1-2 mile loops. During the
    summer, I find the beach road in Kitty Hawk heading south much easier because the traffic is slower.

    news:[email protected]...