Biking In Winter?

Screw all that, I've decide to be a warm weather rider only. Unless you're paid good money to ride in the rain, why would you?

Actually, riding in the rain is probably worse for me than riding in dry weather even if it is 10 degrees colder. As long as it doesn't snow, riding in dry winter is pretty safe and enjoyable as what you need to do is only put layers of clothes, do proper stretching, and drink enough water. However, riding on a rainy days is not enjoyable as you have impaired vision, dirts coming towards you, car drivers driving more dangerously, etc. Not only it is not safe, but it is pretty annoying to have your minds have to be in constant vigilance against those extra things. I prefer to ride comfortably in my layers of layers of dry clothes.

I never had a problem with cycling in the winter when I lived in the UK - the rain was a little bit colder, but it was never terribly off-putting. This winter though I've been living in northern Sweden, and boy do they have proper winters here! The Swedes don't seem to mind though. The paths are generally pretty well gritted, but I took a tumble off my bike back in December and I've been a bit too scared to give it another go since then. Looking forward to going back to a nice mild UK winter :)

I live in Wisconsin and I feel that biking in the winter would be like taking my life in my hands. I have no doubt that I can stay on the road and avoid most icy patches, but the drivers around here have yet to learn to obey speed limits. Last year there was a bike accident involving a teenager where a car took a turn too fast, slid on on snowy patch, and hit the cyclist. I think that using common sense is the most important part of cold weather cycling. If I must go out I stay on the sidewalk, or stick to quiet subdivisions. I think that missing a ride is a better choice than missing my head due to the stupidity and negligence of others.

Wouldn't be caught dead in this region. Winters are brutal, roads ripped apart and cars slipping and sliding. In Seattle where there's rain and the occasional days of black ice it's not so bad.

Without a car i have been riding daily for 15 years. Mostly short rides in Montréal. A 100$ bike is an option as you can simply replace it. It might be an el cheapo or a used one. I simply find a decent way between large Streets, small Streets or sidewalks.
About the cold Under minus 25 just puting some grease on your nose/face(lipsil or vaseline) prevents frost bites.
Using common sense, appropriate speed and facing the cars will make it quite safe. In the snow we have less control but many motorists are in a rush and will pass us by too close so be aware were they are at all times. Also the multi layers of clothes protect us when we fall unless we go fullspeed.
Tires it dépends if you have hills etc... i mostly do not, so i like the thin ones about 32 C no studs they cut like knives the larger ones tend to float on snow and turning your steering has very little effect. Ask the people in your area. I know studs have values in some places.

BE VISIBLE ! B)

By next wi Ted I intend to be pretty far along in my training. Not being able to ride through the winter would seriously mess up any training and make me lazy... ( I know myself really well). It's a big relief to know I won't have to stop!

It's possible, you'll just need to layer more so you can keep warm. You also might want to look into some different tires - some that might have additional traction in snow, perhaps, or on ice. I'd also get a bunch of lights, as it tends to get darker sooner during the winter, at least where I am.
I would definitely go slower than normal though. You don't want to be skidding everywhere.

I'm sure it's possible, but you really will want to focus on safety. Just like black ice or invisible ice can affect cars, you could hit a patch of invisible ice and get in an accident with you bike. As long as you ride carefully and pay attention to your surroundings, you should be okay. Remember to wear very warm clothing though!

I do it every year (of course, I live in Ga, USA, so the winters aren't that bad here, as a rule), so I am going to say, yes, it's very doable. I am sure most IDIDABIKE riders will agree with me.

Use a commuter, or mountain bike with some good knobbies. The smaller frames are a bit more maneuverable than road and fitness frames, and this helps when you are trying to avoid ice patches. Dress warm and breathable, and be prepared to go down a few times from unseen ice patches. The warm layered clothing is good padding when you hit the ground....... Winter riding is one of the few times I will wear a helmet.

Riding in the winter is a great adventure, if you maintain the right attitude about it. It's not just a ride...it's an adventure.Think of it as emulating the great explorers, like Roald Amundsen, Robert Perry, and Richard Byrd.......

Reactions: Adrianhuge