Biking is the solution to the heavy traffic

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
A group of cyclists is pushing not only for the installation of the bike lanes but in advocating the use of bicycles. They said that the gargantuan traffic in Metro Manila can be solved by pushing the populace to use the bike. And aside from the traffic, pollution will also be minimized not to mention the health benefits that can be derived from biking. Unfortunately, no one seemed to have reacted to that. Even in the social media, it was ignored.

Reactions: -Ash-
In cities where the distances are too bad such as San Francisco or Manila the idea of using bicycles is probably a good idea. But it is very difficult to implement. The auto lobby is VERY strong and the bicycle lobby instead of using the arguments of less road wear and less money spend on road maintenance usually stick to the charges of cars polluting.

The best way is to start small. Convince students that it is a better and cheaper way of commuting. Pass laws DEMANDING that bicycles get room on the roads. After all - kids on bicycles are related to those same councilmen making the laws.

In cities where the distances are too bad such as San Francisco or Manila the idea of using bicycles is probably a good idea. But it is very difficult to implement. The auto lobby is VERY strong and the bicycle lobby instead of using the arguments of less road wear and less money spend on road maintenance usually stick to the charges of cars polluting.

The best way is to start small. Convince students that it is a better and cheaper way of commuting. Pass laws DEMANDING that bicycles get room on the roads. After all - kids on bicycles are related to those same councilmen making the laws.

But I weight 150lbs, I CLEARLY need at least a 500 horsepower engine to get around. Don't you know how important I am? I am so important I HAVE to use up as many natural resources as I can all day long! Why would anyone want to use their own muscles to get anywhere, that]'s simple absurd.

I do think that cycling is becoming more and more popular especially in the big cities, but I think the campaigners for the cycle lanes do need to change their tactics a little.

People will always use their cars, wether we like it or not, so maybe making enemies of the car drivers isn't the best idea when trying to push for these changes.

It can be really a nice solution for sure. But sadly there are just a few lanes even in bigger cities and to build them is a really long time, and mayors of cities come and gone never doing the stuff they promise - especially in the biking, commuting topic.

It can be really a nice solution for sure. But sadly there are just a few lanes even in bigger cities and to build them is a really long time, and mayors of cities come and gone never doing the stuff they promise - especially in the biking, commuting topic.

Here in the UK it seemed to take years for the government to finally agree to the bike lanes in the major cities, but recently they're springing up everywhere. While some are making riding safer, there seems to be a lot of cities that the cycle lanes aren't making any difference unfortunately, so in your country I wouldn't expect too much from them when and if you do get them.

Well it certainly makes sense. I know that we had an area not too far from where I live that was a disaster when it came to traffic right around when people were getting off work, and ever since they added a bike lane, which everyone was complaining about, it has gotten better from people riding bikes more. It is amazing how people will respond if they have the choice, and little changes add up.

Well. polution and higher resource's consumption of cars are still strong arguments to advocate in favour of biking commuting lobby. Although right now with the introduction of electric and autonomous cars, these arguments had lost certain strength.

Therefore I'm agree to expose cheaper investment and lesser taxes spent on road maintenance as stronger arguments for bicycle lobbying. And to show as an ideal solution to student and local commuting.

I definitely want cities to put in bigger bike lanes. Not only would it make it faster and more convenient for me to get to work, but it would also help me exercise.

It's a decent solution. It will unlikely solve all of a city's traffic issues but I'm sure it will reduce traffic depending on how effectively it's implemented. I just hope the city's citizens use this opportunity to adopt cycling as a regular mode of transportation.

It's really the solution for traffic the problem is there's no place anymore to put bike lanes on major roads. The government is still being controlled by petrol corporations that's why no legislation is being made for a metro wide bicycle lanes.

Yeah, You're right. This is one of the solution to solve the traffic, specially in our country, A lot of people also buying motorcycle to avoid the heavy traffic. But the problem is the highway, it's not really safe for two wheels drive vehicles. The government somehow is right buy saying that, old cars including the public utility vehicles should not be allowed in the main highway.

It could really help the traffic situation, but I can't imagine people switching to biking especially on the larger roads when it's easier and faster to just ride the car which they already have.

Lawmakers in our country should really pass a law to create bike lanes in the whole metro and all urban cities at that. Because the country would greatly benefit from it not just by lessening the traffic but also lessening pollution and it also has a lot of health benefits. More people on bikes means more people getting physically fit and engaging into exercise.