Biking & Male Sex Performance

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Ciocc Motel, May 23, 2005.

1. Ciocc Motel

Ciocc Motel New Member

I've heard various rumours that frequent cycling can lead to a decrease in male sex performance, i.e., erectile dysfunction. Anybody know any facts about this, any serious studies or personal experience?

Tags:

2. mwparenteau

mwparenteau New Member

I have nothing useful to add, but I want to point out that the front page reduces the title to, "Biking & Male Sex..." Which I found to be funny. :D

3. lumpy

lumpy New Member

My wife really encourages my riding :D

Strenuous exercise increases testosterone production which increases red blood cell count, lean muscle mass, increased metabolism, and friskyness!

4. patch70

patch70 New Member

I ride a lot and still go off like a firecracker.

5. Catabolic_Jones

Catabolic_Jones New Member

You get the t-spike from hard training. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're into 6 hr rides and 30 hr weeks...

6. lmoe

lmoe New Member

If you are not feeling anything strange or wrong forget about it.
    i.e. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There is one guy in Boston area, cannot remember his name who is a banshee on this topic. He thinks all saddles should be shaped like a U.
    Has all sorts of studies and papers. He seems to be the only one, however.

7. dhk

dhk New Member

Yes, the Boston urologist was a Dr. Goldstein. He got a lot of press at least 5 years ago on this issue. Believe he was discredited when he couldn't substantiate his dire warnings. Recall he found 3 or 4 cyclists with ED issues out of 100 he surveyed, and concluded that bike saddles were causing an epidemic of ED. Pretty small sample.

IMO, if your saddle is making you go numb, that's something which needs to be fixed. Otherwise, I'd say you have no worries.

8. ed073

ed073 New Member

Correct. Rumours.

9. Walrus

Walrus New Member

I started riding 2 or 3 years ago and am about to become a father, so no issue for me;). I've heard all sorts of rumours ranging from reduction in sperm count due to the temperature change whilst overheating in tight shorts...to the pressure on the perenial area causing erectile problems.

I recently read an article that disputed much of this, so make sure you do your research before making any decisions to get on or off the bike permantently.

10. Cheesy

Cheesy New Member

I'd say that if your setup (ie saddle height, shape, angle etc) is poorly adjusted, then there is a risk of decreased performance & virility. However, I once got back from a 15-hr day at the end of a 3 week tour and basically went straight into the sack with no problems (apart from being a little weary). Ahh.....those were the days.... :D

11. patch70

patch70 New Member

Also be sure to think carefully before deciding to get off on the bike.

12. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I'll probably regret posting this but here goes.

I find that if I am training harder (cycling training) that I am more interested in having sex.
    If you're doing 4-6 hours spins, every few days, you'd expect to be less enthusiastic (for want of a better expression).
    I find the opposite to be the case.

I think I am just get randier as I get older.

13. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Sex and cycling. Two of my favorite things.
    It is just a shame I have not found a way to combine the two effectively, but I agree that there is little chance of a problem developing and I have done both a lot for a long time and looking forward to the next 50 years or so.

14. ed073

ed073 New Member

Testosterone release from strenuous activity.

15. otherworld

otherworld New Member

The issue is real and that’s why every second saddle you see these days has a hole in it. It doesn't seem to effect young males as much, probably because their circulation is so much better than older men. If you have a problem you will know it because your dick will get numb while your are riding and will recover a bit as soon as you stand up and pedal or get your bum off the seat a bit. Don't ignore it. get a saddle that stops or helps it and change your riding style and habits to keep the blood going around. You can do permanent damage if you ignore the problem.

Regards Jay.

16. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

17. JohnO

JohnO New Member

I believe the doctor was also found to have a financial interest in a company that was selling the type of saddle he recommended.

Cycling? It'll turn you into a sexual Tyrannosauris...

just like me...

18. Conniebiker

Conniebiker New Member

Sounds like what I tell my biker chick friends too. If it hurts, make sure youre doing it right.

19. ed073

ed073 New Member

Blaine is my hero.

20. yitzk

yitzk New Member

Interesting stuff..
    I am 61 grandfather, do 100-200 (non-flat) miles a week - mainly for fun and it certainly keeps me "active"

Recent checkup showed I had an enlarged prostrate and am about to go for a biopsy. No family history - I pray it will be nothing serious

Any cycling doctors out there

a) Could the enlarged prostrate be related to excessive cycling?

b) Will the biopsy leave any scars that may reduce my ability to cycle