Biking near Geneva, CH

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Henning Tveit, May 24, 2004.

  1. I am going to spend more or less the whole of July in/near Geneva this
    summer, and I wouldn't like to be without a bike the whole time.
    So, the short version, does anyone know:

    1) How is the terrain in the area suited for biking? (Mostly
    MTB I guess, both for sight-seeing and training.)

    2) Is it easy to rent a decent bike, or should I bring my
    own?

    Please take into consideration that this will be mostly
    trips of hours-duration, not trekking for days, since I will
    be busy 9-5 on workdays.

    Any tips about biking in the area will be very
    appreciated, thanks.
    --
    Henning

    Tags:

  2. Henning Tveit wrote:

    > I am going to spend more or less the whole of July
    > in/near Geneva this summer, and I wouldn't like to be
    > without a bike the whole time. So, the short version,
    > does anyone know:
    >
    > 1) How is the terrain in the area suited for biking?
    > (Mostly MTB I guess, both for sight-seeing and
    > training.)
    >
    > 2) Is it easy to rent a decent bike, or should I bring
    > my own?
    >
    > Please take into consideration that this will be mostly
    > trips of hours-duration, not trekking for days, since I
    > will be busy 9-5 on workdays.
    >
    > Any tips about biking in the area will be very
    > appreciated, thanks.

    Geneva CH ? Where is CH?

    Or did you mean Geneva OH?

    --
    --------------------+ Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove
    rodent and vegetable dot com, replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

  3. Frank Krygowski wrote:

    > Henning Tveit wrote:
    >
    >> I am going to spend more or less the whole of July
    >> in/near Geneva this summer, and I wouldn't like to be
    >> without a bike the whole time. So, the short version,
    >> does anyone know:
    >> 1) How is the terrain in the area suited for biking?
    >> (Mostly MTB I guess, both for sight-seeing and
    >> training.)
    >> 2) Is it easy to rent a decent bike, or should I bring my
    >> own? Please take into consideration that this will be
    >> mostly trips of hours-duration, not trekking for days,
    >> since I will be busy 9-5 on workdays. Any tips about
    >> biking in the area will be very appreciated, thanks.
    >

    > Geneva CH ? Where is CH?

    Confoederatio Helvetica. Switzerland.

    > Or did you mean Geneva OH?

    Or it could be that, of course.

    SupercalafragilisticBorussiaMoenchengladbach

  4. Drs

    Drs Guest

    "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    [...]

    > Geneva CH ? Where is CH?

    Confoederatio Helvetica, otherwise known as Switzerland.

    > Or did you mean Geneva OH?

    Er, no.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  5. Jem Berkes

    Jem Berkes Guest

    > I am going to spend more or less the whole of July in/near Geneva this
    > summer, and I wouldn't like to be without a bike the whole time.
    > So, the short version, does anyone know:
    >
    > 1) How is the terrain in the area suited for biking?
    > (Mostly MTB I guess, both for sight-seeing and
    > training.)
    >
    > 2) Is it easy to rent a decent bike, or should I bring
    > my own?

    A friend of mine is staying there this summer, I will
    email him and let you know if I get any reply on the
    biking matter.

    --
    Jem Berkes http://www.sysdesign.ca/

  6. "Henning Tveit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I am going to spend more or less the whole of July
    > in/near Geneva
    this
    > summer, and I wouldn't like to be without a bike the whole
    > time. So, the short version, does anyone know:
    >
    > 1) How is the terrain in the area suited for biking?
    > (Mostly MTB I
    guess,
    > both for sight-seeing and training.)
    >
    > 2) Is it easy to rent a decent bike, or should I bring
    > my own?
    >
    > Please take into consideration that this will be mostly
    > trips of hours-duration, not trekking for days, since I
    > will be busy 9-5 on workdays.
    >
    > Any tips about biking in the area will be very
    > appreciated, thanks.
    > --
    > Henning

    Well, I have a Geneva bike map in front of me, which their
    Cycling Officer was distributing at a conference once, but
    I've never cycled there. The map has a list of bike shops,
    but none of them mention renting.

    The town is tiny, and so, in fact, is the entire canton. You
    can not only cycle out of the country in any direction, you
    could probably walk. The immediate surroundings are fairly
    flat, but at the border you hit the Jura mts on the west,
    and Mont Saleve on the east.

    The bike coordinator's name and e-mail is Claude Morel [email protected]
    ge.ch, phone no listed as 022/418 42 00. He gives out the
    maps, free, it says. I think it was him that I talked to,
    and that he spoke fluent English. The bike map is just of
    the town, not the entire canton. I should think something
    like the correct French IGN 100 000 scale map would probably
    show the surroundings pretty well - I don't know what Swiss
    maps there are.

    The map says that the the Touring Club Suisse, their
    automobile club, has a local bike section, which does
    rides., web site www.tcs.ch, phone no of the Geneva section
    022/735 46 53. It also lists some user groups, ATE, Aspic,
    and IG-Velo, web sites www.ate-ge.ch www.aspic.ch/aspic
    www.igvelo.ch

    I have a guide book, published in England, Cassini and
    Lamory, Haute-savoie and Mont-Blanc, Two Heads publishing,
    1994. The closest rides to Geneva that it gives are a couple
    along the top of Mont Saleve. It says, "The Grand Piton de
    Saleve (1379m) is the high point of this ridge which
    overlooks the Genovese basin. The entire range is suitable
    for mountain biking and offers wonderful views of Annemasse,
    Geneva, le Jura, and in the distance, Mont Blanc. I don't
    know whether the cable car takes bikes, but that's almost
    after-work distance.

    I hope this helps

    Jeremy Parker

  7. Jem Berkes

    Jem Berkes Guest

    > I am going to spend more or less the whole of July in/near Geneva this
    > summer, and I wouldn't like to be without a bike the whole time.
    > So, the short version, does anyone know:
    >
    > 1) How is the terrain in the area suited for biking?
    > (Mostly MTB I guess, both for sight-seeing and
    > training.)

    A couple summers ago, I was staying in a village in the
    hills which was quite close to Geneva. I didn't have a
    bicycle, but I remember that there were incredible roads
    through the countryside and up mountain sides. I was jogging
    the roads and it was an incredible view!

    So this might be ideal for a road bike. I don't know
    anything about mountain bike terrain around there.
    Either way,

    > 2) Is it easy to rent a decent bike, or should I bring
    > my own?

    You can always cross the French border and rent a bike
    there, some people make the trip daily across the border.
    Hmm interesting I just found: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/m-
    apshells/europe/geneva/geneva.htm

    Marked on the map is "Free Bicycle Rental". I don't have
    experience with renting bicycles.

    --
    Jem Berkes http://www.sysdesign.ca/

  8. > 1) How is the terrain in the area suited for biking?
    > (Mostly MTB I guess, both for sight-seeing and
    > training.)

    Downtown Geneva is OK for cycling, although some parts may
    be a bit scary (Pont du Mont-Blanc at rush hours, which by
    the way you can easily avoid). Geneva tends to be clogged by
    motorized traffic because:
    - it is at the end of a lake, so everybody tries to cross
    the Rhone at the same bridge
    - there is a huge lot of cross-border commuting, and till
    recently public transportation did not really extend past
    the border into the French suburbs. So almost all the
    French come to work by car.

    So, it is a good idea to get your own bike and use it
    everyday ! There is good public transportation if you stay
    inside Switzerland, though.

    For leisure and/or MTB, you probably have to ride a few km
    away from the city:
    - Westwards: rolling countyside starting near Collonge-
    Bellerive towards Haute-Savoie (France); south shore of
    lake Geneva through Hermance, Nernier etc...
    - Eastwards: vineyards around Satigny, the Rhone river
    - Southwards: the Salève, elevation 1375 m
    - Northwards: the Jura range, culminating at 1717 m
    elevation (le Crêt-de-la-Neige), or the easier woods
    between Collex-Bossy and Chavannes-de-Bogis.

    Buy the 1:50'000 map from Swisstopo (#270, Genève). There is
    also a version dedicated to cycling, which I don't like
    because it is not very legible; it may however show you a
    few good routes. You will find both versions in all good
    bookshops.

    Don't worry about crossing the border. Have your ID with
    you, but most probably nobody will ever ask to see it.

    > 2) Is it easy to rent a decent bike, or should I bring
    > my own?

    You can rent a mountain bike at the railway station if you
    book in advance with www.rentabike.ch. OK if you want it for
    a day, not OK for a month (too expensive). You can borrow a
    more basic bike (not to say a clunker) at "Genève roule"
    just behing the railway station (www.geneveroule.ch). And
    you can probably find a few bike shops who also do some
    rental, but there I can't help you. The best thing to do, if
    you can, is probably to take your own, so you can use it
    everyday (see above).

    If you can read some french, have a look at www.aspic.ch.
    Aspic (Association for the Interests of Cyclists) is the
    local advocacy group, and a quite dynamic one.

    Have fun

    Jacques

  9. On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:17:06 +0000, Frank Krygowski wrote:

    > Geneva CH ? Where is CH?
    >
    > Or did you mean Geneva OH?

    Geneva (CH) is the one original Geneva, mother of all
    others. It is to Geneva, OH, what Paris, France is to Paris,
    TX and Paris, IL.

  10. DRS wrote:

    > "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    >
    > [...]
    >

    >>Geneva CH ? Where is CH?
    >

    > Confoederatio Helvetica, otherwise known as Switzerland.

    Ah. I learn something every day!

    --
    --------------------+ Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove
    rodent and vegetable dot com, replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    Jacques Moser <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Downtown Geneva is OK for cycling, [...]

    Thanks a lot for your answer and to all the others who have
    replied. I got more than I expected. :)

    --
    Henning

  12. Jacques Moser wrote:
    > > 1) How is the terrain in the area suited for biking?
    > > (Mostly MTB I guess, both for sight-seeing and
    > > training.)
    >
    > Downtown Geneva is OK for cycling, although some parts may
    > be a bit scary

    What's nice of Geneva is that in 15 minutes maximum you can
    get out of it and find yourself in the countryside.

    > For leisure and/or MTB, you probably have to ride a few km
    > away from the city:

    Geneva is also well-served by frequent trains, where bikes
    are allowed for a (relatively) small fee.

    > Don't worry about crossing the border. Have your ID with
    > you, but most probably nobody will ever ask to see it.

    Sometimes they ask :-(

    The Touring Club (http://www.tcs.ch) proposes 16 routes
    starting from 4 points downtown and going all around the
    countryside. These are road-bike circuits. Obviously TCS
    sells the maps associated to those routes. I think they
    are a fairly good starting point to get acquainted with
    the region.

    Other links:

    http://www.suisse-a-velo.ch/01_entree/frameset_einstieg.html
    http://www.switzerlandtourism.ch/ (velo)

    P.S. In CH there is a mandatory sticker. It offers a free RC
    ensurance. You might want to consider to purchase an
    extra full-coverage (unless you already have one).
    Swiss hospitals can be expensive :-(

    Ciao,
    --
    Roberto Divia` Love at first sight is one of the
    greatest

  13. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Frank Krygowski <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > DRS wrote:
    >
    > > "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > [...]
    > >

    > >>Geneva CH ? Where is CH?
    > >

    > > Confoederatio Helvetica, otherwise known as Switzerland.
    >
    > Ah. I learn something every day!

    All these years I thought CH meant Confederation of the
    Holenzorn (sp) and Helvitica was a computer or typeset font.

    What do I know anyway?

    HAND

    --
    "Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

  14. I'll be in Geneva too in mid-June so this thread has been
    very useful to me also.

    May I ask some related questions? Allow that I am a very bad
    cyclist, with balance problems and terrified of road
    traffic. Say I rent or borrow a "clunker" from "Genève
    roule" as per your suggestion. If I need to get daily back
    and forth between the Old Town and the Route des Chênes (the
    site of the Ecole Internationale called La Grande
    Boissière), is this route hilly or flat? Are there a lot of
    cars/traffic? Is there an easy cycling route?

    As a schoolgirl I used to do this by tram - an orange toy
    tram called N° 12, but it no longer runs. I also walked it
    sometimes. I'm sure there is plenty public transport
    available, and perhaps it is not worth it to go through the
    palaver of renting a bike and bringing my helmet, given that
    I'm only there for four days.

    Looking forward to it, yippee!

    EFR Ile de France

  15. Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
    > May I ask some related questions? Allow that I am a very
    > bad cyclist, with balance problems and terrified of road
    > traffic. Say I rent or borrow a "clunker" from "Genève
    > roule" as per your suggestion. If I need to get daily back
    > and forth between the Old Town and the Route des Chênes
    > (the site of the Ecole Internationale called La Grande
    > Boissière), is this route hilly or flat? Are there a lot
    > of cars/traffic? Is there an easy cycling route?

    The road between Old Town and Route des Chênes can be split
    in three sections:

    - downtown: medium/slow traffic, several bike paths
    - outskirt: more traffic, fewer bike paths
    - Route des Chênes: medium traffic, wide roads, some
    bike paths

    For the density of traffic, it depends on the time of the
    day. Around 8:00 AM you can find many people coming in (from
    France). Opposite way between 17:00 and 18:30.

    Roads: Route des Chênes and the Old Town are about at the
    same level. Unfortunately to go from one to the other you
    *must* reach almost lake level. This means you have hills
    both way. Steeper going into the Old Town (which is the
    highest point of Geneva). There are roads that keep higher
    (such as Galland/Place Bourg de Four): you'll have to find
    out the best route for you. Also, several roads have less
    traffic as they bring only to the Old Town (not a popular
    destination for most of the commuters). Again, you'll have
    to work out your route.

    In the past, the public services used to have a "Geneva by
    Bike" road map. It reported all the bike paths, recommended
    roads, "hot spots" and bike shops/rentals. This was about 10
    years ago, not sure they still have it. Ask to the
    registration center once you'll be in town. I used to live
    downtown, to travel in the Chêne-Bourg area and to commute
    by bike (had also a serious accident by doing so, but that's
    another story). It's feasible. I also heard that things have
    changed (for the better) since but I have not put wheels
    downtown ever since.

    I'll try to post some references for the "Geneva by Bike"
    map tomorrow.

    Ciao,