Biking novice needs help choosing a bike!

DaveInPA

Mar 12, 2010
First a little back history. I'm 26 years old. I raced BMX from the age of 11 until I was 17. That's my biking experience.

I have been going to the gym faithfully for the past year and have lost 60 pounds in the process. Right now I am 5'10" and 230 pounds (yes I know, lots of weight still to lose!). I want to add cycling to my exercise routine. I love being outdoors but running isn't an option for me due to bad ankles.

I will be riding almost all road, but maybe the occasional packed trail as well. I went to a local bike shop and found two bikes that got my attention. I thought I'd run this decision by you folks and see what you think.

The first bike is a 2009 model Trek FX 7.3 that's on sale for $549.99
Trek Bikes | Bikes | Road | 7.3 FX

The second is a Gary Fisher Mendota that's on sale for $899.99
Mendota | Gary Fisher Bicycles

The guy at the shop told me that the Fisher is more expensive due to disc brakes, a carbon fork, and a couple of other things that I can't exactly remember now.

Which of those two bikes would you guys recommend for me? I'd like something in the vein (straight bars, etc) since I really don't want to ride in the fully bent over position that drop bars would put me in.

DaveInPA said:
First a little back history. I'm 26 years old. I raced BMX from the age of 11 until I was 17. That's my biking experience.

I have been going to the gym faithfully for the past year and have lost 60 pounds in the process. Right now I am 5'10" and 230 pounds (yes I know, lots of weight still to lose!). I want to add cycling to my exercise routine. I love being outdoors but running isn't an option for me due to bad ankles.

I will be riding almost all road, but maybe the occasional packed trail as well. I went to a local bike shop and found two bikes that got my attention. I thought I'd run this decision by you folks and see what you think.

The first bike is a 2009 model Trek FX 7.3 that's on sale for $549.99
Trek Bikes | Bikes | Road | 7.3 FX

The second is a Gary Fisher Mendota that's on sale for $899.99
Mendota | Gary Fisher Bicycles

The guy at the shop told me that the Fisher is more expensive due to disc brakes, a carbon fork, and a couple of other things that I can't exactly remember now.

Which of those two bikes would you guys recommend for me? I'd like something in the vein (straight bars, etc) since I really don't want to ride in the fully bent over position that drop bars would put me in.
FWIW. I don't own one, but if I were looking for a new bike, this is a bike which would be high on my list of possibilities:

10s_coda_bk.jpg

2010 JAMIS BICYCLES - SPECIFICATIONS

The retail price for the "base" model is only $550.

I would recommend that you choose the 17" frame (56cm top tube) in anticipation of a later conversion of the bike to one with DROP handlebars.

I prefer steel framed bikes AND I know that 'I' could convert the above bike to a pretty nice ROAD bike for about $600 (or, less) which I think would be superior to a $1500+ bike that you would get from a bike shop.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately though, there's only on Jamis dealer near me and I refuse to shop there (I know the owner and let's say I don't want to give him or anyone in his family a penny of my money).

I would recommend The Giant Rapid or the fuji absolute. The Fuji is selling for $599 at performance bikes. The trek is a nice bike but Giant and fuji give you better components for less money.

2009 Fuji Absolute 2.0 Road Bike
BOTTOM BRACKET: Sealed Cartridge Bearing ST
BRAKES: Tektro 926AL Mini-V w/ modulator
CASSETTE: Sunrace 11-32T 9-speed
CHAIN: KMC Z-9000, 9-speed
CRANKSET: Truvativ Isoflow C3.0 26/36/48T Chainring
FORK: FC-990 Fuji Bonded Carbon Trekking w/ 1 1/8" Chromoly Steerer
FRAME: Fuji Altair 2 Aluminum w/ Tear Drop downtube, Double water bottle mounts, Fuji forged road dropout w/ replaceable derailleur hanger
FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano Deore M531, 31.8mm
GRIPS/TAPE: Fuji Double Density Kraton
HANDLEBAR: Fuji Double Butted Aluminum
HEADSET: Tange IS-24 1 1/8" Integrated Road w/ convex hollow Alloy 15mm spacer
LEVERS: Tektro RT354A
PEDALS: Fuji full platform
RACK MOUNTS: Yes
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano Deore M531-SGS
SADDLE: Fuji Sport Comfort
SEATPOST: Fuji Micro-adjust Aluminum, 300mm
SHIFTERS: Shimano Deore SL-M530
STEM: Fuji Adjustable Aluminum, Removable Clamp
TIRES: Fuji, 700 x 28c
WHEELSET: Rims: Alex R-500 Double Wall Alloy 32H; Hubs: Fuji Sealed 32H QR

2010 Giant Rapid 3

color Silver/White/Black
size XS,S,M,L,XL
frame ALUXX butted aluminum
fork CroMo, OverDrive Steerer
handlebar Giant Connect, flat 31.8
stem Alloy adjustable height
seatpost Giant Connect, 30.9
saddle Giant Performance Road, Men's or Women's
pedals Caged w/ Clips
shifter Shimano R221 EZ Fire
front derailleur Shimano R443
rear derailleur Shimano Sora
brakes Alloy Dual Pivot
brake levers Alloy
cassette SRAM PG-830 11/28, 8-speed
chain KMC Z72
cranks FSA Tempo, 30/42/52
bb FSA Cartridge
rims Giant Sport Road, Double Wall
hubs [F] Formula Sealed, [R] Shimano 2200, 32h
spokes Stainless Steel
tires Kenda Kwest 700x28
extras Alloy bar-ends

DaveInPA said:
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately though, there's only on Jamis dealer near me and I refuse to shop there (I know the owner and let's say I don't want to give him or anyone in his family a penny of my money).
Understood ...

BUT, I guess I would be willing to travel OR I'd wait until I could locate one on eBay.

Where in PA are you? I'm going to guess that there are another half-dozen shops which carry JAMIS bikes within a reasonable (THAT's subjective, of course) distance to where you live: