photo-worthy. Kind of embarassing though - my first (mtb) crash in over a
year and it was on road. So that's it, I'm sworn off riding on roads -
it's just far too hazardous.

On 2004-07-21, bomba penned:

> So that's it, I'm sworn off riding on roads - it's just far too
> hazardous.

Sounds about right to me.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain

bomba sez:

>I'm sworn off riding on roads - it's just far too hazardous.

Riding on the road scares me a LOT more than on the dirt. Well, most of
the time at least. That's why I started doing all my road training in
the mall. People get out of the way because they think it's some sort of
publicity stunt. The security guards keep my heart rate up when they
start chasing after me with tasers. Plus, you can always stop in and get
a smoothie made with delicious tofu!

T o m Dillon
Lakewood, CO
Z to S to email

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> The great thing about July in northern Europe is that it really allows me
> to get some colour in my legs: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/misc/legs.jpg
>
> Out for a couple of hours after the rains today in some pretty slippy
> conditions. A couple of dodgy moments, but I remained upright. Until I
> took a small downhill tarmac road. I was taking it fairly easy, but when I
> went to turn at the bottom of the hill I just kept on going in the same
> direction until the rear wheel overtook the front and I got flipped
> top-side. I went back to check the corner and it was like an ice rink. The
> rains this afternoon, coupled with a light layer of dirt and the fact that
> it's not oft-used meant the surface was like one big wet root.
>
> Not much damage, a cut up elbow and a lump on the shin, but nothing
> photo-worthy. Kind of embarassing though - my first (mtb) crash in over a
> year and it was on road. So that's it, I'm sworn off riding on roads -
> it's just far too hazardous.

Sounds like it could have been a lot worse on those alpine descents, you
could have done the ultimate huck. I did a pretty similar thing last weekend
on a foreset road with loose soil/pine needles on top, add water and it was
greasy as hell. Still wondering how I grazed my right knee but left elbow.

Wonder what will happen next time a car comes along?

Steve.

Spademan says:

>I did a pretty similar thing last weekend
>on a foreset road with loose soil/pine needles on top, add water and it was
>greasy as hell.

Don't you just hate it when people fore-set (correct spelling) things ? No
wonder it was greasy... ;-)

>Still wondering how I grazed my right knee but left elbow.

That I can actually explain, having done it myself on my first mo-bike... As
bike tips over, right leg (and hence knee) hits the ground. Body starts to
rotate since righthand side has effectively stopped or at least slowed down.
As body rotates, left elbow comes around and THWACK's road - hard!
Mine was de-fleshed to the bone (on elbow, not knee) and I had to go shoot 303s
at Bisley the next day. Mmmmm.... Happy Camper. Such lovely memories

Steve

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> The great thing about July in northern Europe is that it really allows me
> to get some colour in my legs: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/misc/legs.jpg
>
> Out for a couple of hours after the rains today in some pretty slippy
> conditions. A couple of dodgy moments, but I remained upright. Until I
> took a small downhill tarmac road. I was taking it fairly easy, but when I
> went to turn at the bottom of the hill I just kept on going in the same
> direction until the rear wheel overtook the front and I got flipped
> top-side. I went back to check the corner and it was like an ice rink. The
> rains this afternoon, coupled with a light layer of dirt and the fact that
> it's not oft-used meant the surface was like one big wet root.

Bad handling skills.

> Not much damage, a cut up elbow and a lump on the shin, but nothing
> photo-worthy. Kind of embarassing though - my first (mtb) crash in over a
> year and it was on road. So that's it, I'm sworn off riding on roads -
> it's just far too hazardous.

WIMP.

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

>> Out for a couple of hours after the rains today in some pretty slippy
>> conditions. A couple of dodgy moments, but I remained upright. Until I
>> took a small downhill tarmac road. I was taking it fairly easy, but when I
>> went to turn at the bottom of the hill I just kept on going in the same
>> direction until the rear wheel overtook the front and I got flipped
>> top-side. I went back to check the corner and it was like an ice rink. The
>> rains this afternoon, coupled with a light layer of dirt and the fact that
>> it's not oft-used meant the surface was like one big wet root.

> Bad handling skills.

True.

>> Not much damage, a cut up elbow and a lump on the shin, but nothing
>> photo-worthy. Kind of embarassing though - my first (mtb) crash in over a
>> year and it was on road. So that's it, I'm sworn off riding on roads -
>> it's just far too hazardous.

> WIMP.

True again.

> Spademan says:
>
> >I did a pretty similar thing last weekend
> >on a foreset road with loose soil/pine needles on top, add water and it

was
> >greasy as hell.

> Don't you just hate it when people fore-set (correct spelling) things ?

No
> wonder it was greasy... ;-)

Funny fella, t'was obviously meant to say forest.

> >Still wondering how I grazed my right knee but left elbow.

> That I can actually explain, having done it myself on my first mo-bike...

As
> bike tips over, right leg (and hence knee) hits the ground. Body starts

> rotate since righthand side has effectively stopped or at least slowed

down.
> As body rotates, left elbow comes around and THWACK's road - hard!

that makes sense, all I remember is thinking 'this looks a little bit
sli.... Ahh bollocks..

> Mine was de-fleshed to the bone (on elbow, not knee)

Eww, mine is thankfully but a flesh wound, I did make a nice Ooomph sound if
that counts for anything.

Steve.

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> >> Out for a couple of hours after the rains today in some pretty slippy
> >> conditions. A couple of dodgy moments, but I remained upright. Until I
> >> took a small downhill tarmac road. I was taking it fairly easy, but

when I
> >> went to turn at the bottom of the hill I just kept on going in the same
> >> direction until the rear wheel overtook the front and I got flipped
> >> top-side. I went back to check the corner and it was like an ice rink.

The
> >> rains this afternoon, coupled with a light layer of dirt and the fact

that
> >> it's not oft-used meant the surface was like one big wet root.

> > Bad handling skills.

> True.

Heheheh, I love when I'm right!

> >> Not much damage, a cut up elbow and a lump on the shin, but nothing
> >> photo-worthy. Kind of embarassing though - my first (mtb) crash in over

> >> year and it was on road. So that's it, I'm sworn off riding on roads -
> >> it's just far too hazardous.

> > WIMP.

> True again.

Heheheh, I love when I'm right again! I love it all the time then, I guess
',;~}~

All my road hazard problems involve idiot piloted vehicular weapons, and it
SUCKS!

Oh well, may be time to mount weaponry to my cycle...

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

> All my road hazard problems involve idiot piloted vehicular weapons, and

it
> SUCKS!
>
> Oh well, may be time to mount weaponry to my cycle...

Is this where the petrol strimmer comes in?

Steve.

"spademan o---[) *"
<[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> > All my road hazard problems involve idiot piloted vehicular weapons, and

> it
> > SUCKS!
> >
> > Oh well, may be time to mount weaponry to my cycle...
> >

> Is this where the petrol strimmer comes in?

Escape and evasion after the...'recourse'...

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

spademan says:

<snip>

>all I remember is thinking 'this looks a little bit
>sli.... Ahh bollocks..

That sounds about right, except in my case it was "Oh, they've just regravelled
that 90-degree corner..." Prolly explains the lack of flesh afterwards. ;-)

>I did make a nice Ooomph sound if
>that counts for anything.

Counts for everything.

Steve