Biking Shoes

Bob Slebodnik

Guest
Does anyone have any suggestions about comfortable biking shoes? My
Performance brand shoes are wearing out. I usually do 30-80 mile day
trips and some touring. The ideal shoes would be light, cool,
efficient for pedaling, and comfortable for the bit of walking that
one must do while touring. I use Crank Brothers pedals. I usually
stay away from road pedals as I don't like walking on the cleats.
This leaves light mountain and touring shoes from which to choose.
How are the shoes with synthetic uppers? Is there adequate
ventilation or does this type of material make one's feet sweat and be
uncomfortable? Thank-you in advance for your suggestions.

Bob Slebodnik
Rans V2

"Bob Slebodnik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone have any suggestions about comfortable biking shoes? My
> Performance brand shoes are wearing out. I usually do 30-80 mile day
> trips and some touring. The ideal shoes would be light, cool,
> efficient for pedaling, and comfortable for the bit of walking that
> one must do while touring. I use Crank Brothers pedals. I usually
> stay away from road pedals as I don't like walking on the cleats.
> This leaves light mountain and touring shoes from which to choose.
> How are the shoes with synthetic uppers? Is there adequate
> ventilation or does this type of material make one's feet sweat and be
> uncomfortable? Thank-you in advance for your suggestions.
>
> Bob Slebodnik
> Rans V2

I've been using SIDI mountain shoes for over a year now with Crank Brothers
Candy pedals, expensive but work well

Bob Slebodnik wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions about comfortable biking shoes?

Shimano SD-60 sandals. I don't normally like Shimano shoes as they're
too narrow for me, but since the upper on the sandals basically isn't
there it's not a problem. They are light, cool and comfortable, and
walk well off the bike. Ventilation is as good as it gets.

They'll fit any cleat that'll fit SPuD compatible shoes (I use mine with
Time ATACs).

Hugely recommended.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Bob Slebodnik wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions about comfortable biking shoes?

> Shimano SD-60 sandals. I don't normally like Shimano shoes as they're
> too narrow for me, but since the upper on the sandals basically isn't
> there it's not a problem. They are light, cool and comfortable, and
> walk well off the bike. Ventilation is as good as it gets.
>
> They'll fit any cleat that'll fit SPuD compatible shoes (I use mine with
> Time ATACs).
>
> Hugely recommended.
>
> Pete.

I like the sandals too but for long rides my legs get sick of pulling
off the spd pedal, i think it has something to do with being sandals and
not as much material around you foot to pull off the spd, i don't have
that much fatigue when i wear my regular spd shoes. make sense ?
but for short rides and not a lot of stopping they are a great shoe plus
you get a really cool tan mark on you foot.
PS with winter coming on your feet will get cooled in sandals
later
rskenny

Bob,

Think outside the box: Try Shimano sandals. Other than a cheap pair
of flip-flops for walking around campsites and showering, I wore a
pair 100% of the time I toured this summer. Cool, comfortable,
adaptable to chilly mornings with a pair of socks...it's the way to
go. I haven't worn my biking shoes in two years.
BTW, since I use Bebop pedals, I had to adapt the Shimanos with some
"Dremel-surgery." Nevertheless, the sandals wear like iron and are
great for walking since the cleats are almost perfectly recessed in
the sole.

BentJay

See my tour journal at: http://aroundthelake.crazyguyonabike.com

BentJay wrote:

> go. I haven't worn my biking shoes in two years.

Having suggested the same thing I'm obviously "on-message" here, though
do note that adjusting to the cold with socks requires it to be dry, or
waterproof socks, but waterproof socks are pretty chilly if the whole
outer is soaked and the ambients are down there.
This will depend where you're cycling, of course. I'm in Scotland, and
even on the "dry" side of the country it's often very wet, and wet
compounds the cold.

> the sandals wear like iron

They wear well, but not exceptionally so IME. I threw my first pair
away earlier this summer because the cleat plate had cracked and the
sole was starting to go. But that was in line with a good amount of use
and acceptable wear and tear. I had no hesitation in replacing them
with another pair.

The other post suggesting they're not as comfortable to pull back in is
a fair point... if you're really pulling back hard on every pedal
stroke. I'm not, for the most part, so it's a non-issue for me. If you
want to maximise your performance more than your comfort then you'd be
better off in enclosing shoes.

Pete.
--

[email protected] (Bob Slebodnik) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone have any suggestions about comfortable biking shoes? My
> Performance brand shoes are wearing out. I usually do 30-80 mile day
> trips and some touring. The ideal shoes would be light, cool,
> efficient for pedaling, and comfortable for the bit of walking that
> one must do while touring. I use Crank Brothers pedals. I usually
> stay away from road pedals as I don't like walking on the cleats.
> This leaves light mountain and touring shoes from which to choose.
> How are the shoes with synthetic uppers? Is there adequate
> ventilation or does this type of material make one's feet sweat and be
> uncomfortable? Thank-you in advance for your suggestions.
>
> Bob Slebodnik
> Rans V2

Check out biking sandals. They are light, cool with out socks or as
warm as you want then by layering. I can put on one to three pairs of
socks and top that off with a pair of Gortex socks for wind and water
protection without compressing the fibers for warmth. They are the
only footware I take with me on week long bike trips.

Gary

I'm going to agree with the folks who are recommending sandals. I've been
using Shimano sandals since 1999. One of my bikes has SPD pedals, the other
egg beaters. The sandals work well with both. Last summer while on a tour
in Wisconsin, we rode all morning in a driving rain with the temperature in
the mid to upper 40s. I was wearing my sandals with a pair of toe booties,
but no socks and my feet were plenty warm. When it isn't raining and temps
are in the 40s, I wear socks. When temps are in the 30s, I wear socks and
the toe booties. My feet have never been cold (accept for maybe the first
couple of miles before I've warmed up). I realize many of you ride in
colder weather than 30 degrees, but here in Louisiana it doesn't generally
get much colder than that, so I have no experience with temps much below
freezing.

When I first got my sandals, I assumed I'd wear shoes during the winter, but
after buying the toe booties, I never have. The longest ride I've taken
with sandals is 86 miles. I didn't notice any of the foot fatigue that
another poster mentioned... and I think I do a pretty good job of pulling on
the pedals as well as pushing. Of course, YMMV.

~ Nanc
1999 Vision R44 USS
2003 Vision R45 USS
Gonzales, Louisiana

Bob Slebodnik wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions about comfortable biking shoes? My
> Performance brand shoes are wearing out. I usually do 30-80 mile day
> trips and some touring. The ideal shoes would be light, cool,
> efficient for pedaling, and comfortable for the bit of walking that
> one must do while touring. I use Crank Brothers pedals. I usually
> stay away from road pedals as I don't like walking on the cleats.
> This leaves light mountain and touring shoes from which to choose.
> How are the shoes with synthetic uppers? Is there adequate
> ventilation or does this type of material make one's feet sweat and be
> uncomfortable? Thank-you in advance for your suggestions.
>
> Bob Slebodnik
> Rans V2

Hi Bob: I cycle almost exclusively with my Shimano sandals. I can go
to about + 40 with a pair of socks. The soles work as toewarmer used to
work when I rode a DF. Great in the summer and comfortable to walk in.
Just a suggestion
Bill M

"BentJay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bob,
>
> Think outside the box: Try Shimano sandals. Other than a cheap pair
> of flip-flops for walking around campsites and showering, I wore a
> pair 100% of the time I toured this summer. Cool, comfortable,
> adaptable to chilly mornings with a pair of socks...it's the way to
> go. I haven't worn my biking shoes in two years.
> BTW, since I use Bebop pedals, I had to adapt the Shimanos with some
> "Dremel-surgery." Nevertheless, the sandals wear like iron and are
> great for walking since the cleats are almost perfectly recessed in
> the sole.
>
> BentJay

Anyone who would wear sandals for cycling has got to have rocks in his head.
That is a most excellent way to mangle your feet if and when something goes
wrong. All this business about your feet being cool and comfortable is a
big laugh. One's feet should always be hot and sweaty when cycling. And a
bit of foot soreness goes with cycling.

You wear cycling shoes for cycling and you wear other types of shoes for
walking when you are off the bicycle. None of this is rocket science, but
recumbent cyclists seem to be particularly dense when it come to the
simplest things. But that is why I am on this newsgroup - to bring some
sanity to a group that is full of idiots.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> Bob Slebodnik wrote:
>> Does anyone have any suggestions about comfortable biking shoes?

> Shimano SD-60 sandals. I don't normally like Shimano shoes as they're too
> narrow for me, but since the upper on the sandals basically isn't there
> it's not a problem. They are light, cool and comfortable, and walk well
> off the bike. Ventilation is as good as it gets.
>
> They'll fit any cleat that'll fit SPuD compatible shoes (I use mine with
> Time ATACs).
>
> Hugely recommended.
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Here is someone who fancies himself a medical physics officer (whatever the
hell that is) and he is recommending sandals which any fool knows provides
minimum protection for the feet in the event of an accident. But go ahead
and listen to fools like him. When you have lost your feet due to an
accident because you were wearing sandals instead of proper cycling shoes,
he will be nowhere around. He will be doing his medical physics thing
(whatever the hell that is) and you will be laid up in the hospital cursing
those g.d. sandals.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Gary Herbst" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Bob Slebodnik) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Does anyone have any suggestions about comfortable biking shoes? My
>> Performance brand shoes are wearing out. I usually do 30-80 mile day
>> trips and some touring. The ideal shoes would be light, cool,
>> efficient for pedaling, and comfortable for the bit of walking that
>> one must do while touring. I use Crank Brothers pedals. I usually
>> stay away from road pedals as I don't like walking on the cleats.
>> This leaves light mountain and touring shoes from which to choose.
>> How are the shoes with synthetic uppers? Is there adequate
>> ventilation or does this type of material make one's feet sweat and be
>> uncomfortable? Thank-you in advance for your suggestions.
>>
>> Bob Slebodnik
>> Rans V2

> Check out biking sandals. They are light, cool with out socks or as
> warm as you want then by layering. I can put on one to three pairs of
> socks and top that off with a pair of Gortex socks for wind and water
> protection without compressing the fibers for warmth. They are the
> only footware I take with me on week long bike trips.
>
> Gary

You bet! Those g.d. sandals will keep your ****ing feet cool even if you
later lose your feet in an accident because you were not wearing proper
cycling shoes. But fools never think they are going to be involved in an
accident. Too late they get wise.

Gary is an idiot who believes in lots of socks, but not in shoes. Go figure!

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Bob Slebodnik wrote:
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions about comfortable biking shoes?

>> Shimano SD-60 sandals. I don't normally like Shimano shoes as
>> they're too narrow for me, but since the upper on the sandals
>> basically isn't there it's not a problem. They are light, cool and
>> comfortable, and walk well off the bike. Ventilation is as good as
>> it gets.
>>
>> They'll fit any cleat that'll fit SPuD compatible shoes (I use mine
>> with Time ATACs).
>>
>> Hugely recommended.
>>
>> Pete.
>> --
>> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
>> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
>> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
>> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

> Here is someone who fancies himself a medical physics officer
> (whatever the hell that is) and he is recommending sandals which any
> fool knows provides minimum protection for the feet in the event of
> an accident. But go ahead and listen to fools like him. When you have
> lost your feet due to an accident because you were wearing sandals
> instead of proper cycling shoes, he will be nowhere around. He will
> be doing his medical physics thing (whatever the hell that is) and
> you will be laid up in the hospital cursing those g.d. sandals.

Seems to me that any accident severe enough to cause the loss of the feet
would do so irrespective of what kind of footwear, short of motorcycle
boots, one was wearing, but obviously on Planet Minnesota things are
different.

--

Pikey
Dispenser of fine Clue

"bill marsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bob Slebodnik wrote:
>> Does anyone have any suggestions about comfortable biking shoes? My
>> Performance brand shoes are wearing out. I usually do 30-80 mile day
>> trips and some touring. The ideal shoes would be light, cool,
>> efficient for pedaling, and comfortable for the bit of walking that
>> one must do while touring. I use Crank Brothers pedals. I usually
>> stay away from road pedals as I don't like walking on the cleats. This
>> leaves light mountain and touring shoes from which to choose. How are the
>> shoes with synthetic uppers? Is there adequate
>> ventilation or does this type of material make one's feet sweat and be
>> uncomfortable? Thank-you in advance for your suggestions.
>>
>> Bob Slebodnik
>> Rans V2

> Hi Bob: I cycle almost exclusively with my Shimano sandals. I can go to
> about + 40 with a pair of socks. The soles work as toewarmer used to work
> when I rode a DF. Great in the summer and comfortable to walk in.
> Just a suggestion
> Bill M

Here is another idiot who believes in lots of socks, and toe warmers too.
Obviously, he is not from Minnesota where those ridiculous toe warmers are
totally worthless. Thanks for the good laugh Bill M.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Nanc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I'm going to agree with the folks who are recommending sandals. I've been
> using Shimano sandals since 1999. One of my bikes has SPD pedals, the
> other
> egg beaters. The sandals work well with both. Last summer while on a
> tour
> in Wisconsin, we rode all morning in a driving rain with the temperature
> in
> the mid to upper 40s. I was wearing my sandals with a pair of toe
> booties,
> but no socks and my feet were plenty warm. When it isn't raining and
> temps
> are in the 40s, I wear socks. When temps are in the 30s, I wear socks and
> the toe booties. My feet have never been cold (accept for maybe the first
> couple of miles before I've warmed up). I realize many of you ride in
> colder weather than 30 degrees, but here in Louisiana it doesn't generally
> get much colder than that, so I have no experience with temps much below
> freezing.
>
> When I first got my sandals, I assumed I'd wear shoes during the winter,
> but
> after buying the toe booties, I never have. The longest ride I've taken
> with sandals is 86 miles. I didn't notice any of the foot fatigue that
> another poster mentioned... and I think I do a pretty good job of pulling
> on
> the pedals as well as pushing. Of course, YMMV.
>
> ~ Nanc
> 1999 Vision R44 USS
> 2003 Vision R45 USS
> Gonzales, Louisiana

Maybe if you are from Louisiana you can get away with these absurdities, but
if you are from Minnesota you can forget all this nonsense about sandals and
toe warmers. Nanc obviously has feet that are directly connected to the
heart without going through any long legs or other intermediaries. Frankly,
my feet get g.d. cold when the temp is in the 40's, let alone the 30's. And
this fool wants me to wear sandals with those ridiculous toe warmers
(booties).

When the weather gets cold (most of the year), I wear those monstrous boots
that are good down to 100 degrees below zero - and my feet still get cold. I
also dress like an Eskimo. Then I have a look at those ridiculous catalogs
that I get from Bike Nashbar and Performance about cold weather cycling
clothing and I practically laugh myself to death over what they think is
cold. There is North Carolina cold and then there is Minnesota cold. I find
it hard to believe that anyone in Louisiana even knows what cold is. Still,
sandals are a bad idea for safety reasons.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"The late lamented Pikey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Shimano SD-60 sandals. I don't normally like Shimano shoes as
>>> they're too narrow for me, but since the upper on the sandals
>>> basically isn't there it's not a problem. They are light, cool and
>>> comfortable, and walk well off the bike. Ventilation is as good as
>>> it gets.
>>>
>>> They'll fit any cleat that'll fit SPuD compatible shoes (I use mine
>>> with Time ATACs).
>>>
>>> Hugely recommended.
>>>
>>> Pete.
>>> --
>>> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
>>> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
>>> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
>>> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

>> Here is someone who fancies himself a medical physics officer
>> (whatever the hell that is) and he is recommending sandals which any
>> fool knows provides minimum protection for the feet in the event of
>> an accident. But go ahead and listen to fools like him. When you have
>> lost your feet due to an accident because you were wearing sandals
>> instead of proper cycling shoes, he will be nowhere around. He will
>> be doing his medical physics thing (whatever the hell that is) and
>> you will be laid up in the hospital cursing those g.d. sandals.

> Seems to me that any accident severe enough to cause the loss of the feet
> would do so irrespective of what kind of footwear, short of motorcycle
> boots, one was wearing, but obviously on Planet Minnesota things are
> different.

Just the thought of NOT having my feet fully enclosed in shoes gives me the
willies. I have seen these dorks with their sandals and they strike me as
being essentially dumb and stupid. But they glory in their cool feet and
think they have the world by the tail. Hells Bells! They are as likely as
not to get their feet run over by another cyclist just for starters. Some of
these idiots do not wear helmets either. They apparently want to keep their
heads cool too. If they want to be so confounded cool all the time, why the
hell don't they just stay home and sip lemonade in the shade of their back
yard tree.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"bill marsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "bill marsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>Hi Bob: I cycle almost exclusively with my Shimano sandals. I can go to
>>>about + 40 with a pair of socks. The soles work as toewarmer used to
>>>work when I rode a DF. Great in the summer and comfortable to walk in.
>>>Just a suggestion
>>>Bill M

>> Here is another idiot who believes in lots of socks, and toe warmers too.
>> Obviously, he is not from Minnesota where those ridiculous toe warmers
>> are totally worthless. Thanks for the good laugh Bill M.
>>

> Hey You Idiot yourself. Not all of us live were no man should. And you
> think I am an idiot. No wonder all you do is agrivate people.
> I don't think you ride at all, you must spend the entire day on your PC.
> I have not seen a decent word from you to anyone since I have been on htis
> newsgroup, not one.
> **** off Ed
> Bill M

No, you **** off Bill M! I am a saint and I do not go for stuff like that.
That is only for sinners like you.

I am not into the business of offering decent words. I am in the business
of taking on all ARBR idiots (their numbers are legion) who think it is cool
to go cycling in sandals. The only question I have for you is were you born
this stupid or did you work at it? I think you must have worked at it since
you were smart enough to get into recumbents, but evidently not smart enough
to wear cycling shoes. But hang in there Bill M. Sooner of later you are
going to mangle your feet and we will both have a good laugh about how dumb
it is possible for a human to get.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "bill marsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Edward Dolan wrote:
>>
>>>"bill marsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Here is another idiot who believes in lots of socks, and toe warmers too.
>>>Obviously, he is not from Minnesota where those ridiculous toe warmers
>>>are totally worthless. Thanks for the good laugh Bill M.
>>>

>>Hey You Idiot yourself. Not all of us live were no man should. And you
>>think I am an idiot. No wonder all you do is agrivate people.
>>I don't think you ride at all, you must spend the entire day on your PC.
>>I have not seen a decent word from you to anyone since I have been on htis
>>newsgroup, not one.
>>**** off Ed
>>Bill M

> No, you **** off Bill M! I am a saint and I do not go for stuff like that.
> That is only for sinners like you.
>
> I am not into the business of offering decent words. I am in the business
> of taking on all ARBR idiots (their numbers are legion) who think it is cool
> to go cycling in sandals. The only question I have for you is were you born
> this stupid or did you work at it? I think you must have worked at it since
> you were smart enough to get into recumbents, but evidently not smart enough
> to wear cycling shoes. But hang in there Bill M. Sooner of later you are
> going to mangle your feet and we will both have a good laugh about how dumb
> it is possible for a human to get.

Ed when was the last time you got yourself a little, sounds to me that
might be your problem.
try it it really helps relive the tension and then you might think about
wearing some sandals
Rich

"rskenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[...]
> Ed when was the last time you got yourself a little, sounds to me that
> might be your problem.
> try it it really helps relive the tension and then you might think about
> wearing some sandals
> Rich

Rich, the "little" you mention has absolutely nothing to do with anything
other than procreation. If you are into doing this "little" without the
intention of procreating, then you are a huge sinner and you are surely
going to burn in eternal hell fire. I would pray for your soul except that I
am an atheist and I know that none of us have souls. We are the same as the
cockroaches that way.

As for me, I think maybe I do need more Beethoven and less of this
confounded newsgroup. But sandals are unsafe and not a good idea. Have you
never dropped anything on your feet? At least shoes will afford some
protection and those g.d. sandals won't.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota