Biking Shoes

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Listen to the double bass line in the opening statement of the Credo of
> the B-Minor Mass. If you do not see the humor of JSB writing such a thing
> into what was intended to be a summation of his entire career of
> vocal/choral composition; you really are a half-wit.

I repeat: THERE IS NO HUMOR IN MUSIC!

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
>> Bach was one of the most saturated with religion composers who ever
>> lived. All those cantatas are mind boggling. I defy anyone to attempt to
>> listen to them. Only the Germans appreciate this kind of music. The fact
>> is that music began with Haydn, not Bach....

> Note to Ed: Your beloved Beethoven referred to Handel as "the master of us
> all" after seeing the scores for some of the oratorios.

All the great composers who came after the Baroque era knew that music and
learned from it, but they did not write their music in that style, and for
good reason. No one wanted to listen to that kind of music anymore. It was
relegated to the Church and has been there ever since. The long playing
record resurrected this music to some extent.

When I was a child I knew only a few pieces of Baroque music. This was in
the period of the 78 rpm record and there was very little of it available.
The LP record changed all of that and I am familiar with the music. But I
really don't like it much. I have literally hundreds of albums of Baroque
music, but I don't listen to it anymore. It strikes me as being more muzak
than music.

I think musicians like Baroque era music, but I am not a musician. I am a
listener and probably a fairly average one. I note that concert hall
programs will normally only present Baroque music as a filler and that radio
programming also does the same thing. The main part of any program will
always be Classical or Romantic era music. It has been that way all of my
life and I do not ever expect to see it change.

The fact is that all the great music was written after the Baroque era. The
arts do go on forever, but there are golden ages in any art which are never
approached again. The Classical and Romantic eras were such a golden age. My
interest in modern music extends to Sibelius, Nielsen, Prokofiev and
Stravinsky. As you can see, not very modern.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>Listen to the double bass line in the opening statement of the Credo of
>>the B-Minor Mass. If you do not see the humor of JSB writing such a thing
>>into what was intended to be a summation of his entire career of
>>vocal/choral composition; you really are a half-wit.

> I repeat: THERE IS NO HUMOR IN MUSIC!

Then I must be impolite and say you are a half-wit, Mr. Dolan!

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant
"Use your head, Mr. Ed!" - Slugger

Edward Dolan wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Edward Dolan wrote:
>>

>>>Bach was one of the most saturated with religion composers who ever
>>>lived. All those cantatas are mind boggling. I defy anyone to attempt to
>>>listen to them. Only the Germans appreciate this kind of music. The fact
>>>is that music began with Haydn, not Bach....

>>Note to Ed: Your beloved Beethoven referred to Handel as "the master of us
>>all" after seeing the scores for some of the oratorios.

> All the great composers who came after the Baroque era knew that music and
> learned from it, but they did not write their music in that style, and for
> good reason. No one wanted to listen to that kind of music anymore. It was
> relegated to the Church and has been there ever since. The long playing
> record resurrected this music to some extent.

Listen to K427 if you want to hear a post Baroque composition influenced
greatly by Handel. Or does J. C. W. A. Mozart not qualify as a great
composer in your estimation?

> When I was a child I knew only a few pieces of Baroque music. This was in
> the period of the 78 rpm record and there was very little of it available.
> The LP record changed all of that and I am familiar with the music. But I
> really don't like it much. I have literally hundreds of albums of Baroque
> music, but I don't listen to it anymore. It strikes me as being more muzak
> than music....

This means that Mr. Dolan has missed out in the vast improvement in
modern performance practices of Baroque music. Most of the LP era
performances are rather "pedestrian" by today's standard.

> I think musicians like Baroque era music, but I am not a musician. I am a
> listener and probably a fairly average one. I note that concert hall
> programs will normally only present Baroque music as a filler and that radio
> programming also does the same thing. The main part of any program will
> always be Classical or Romantic era music. It has been that way all of my
> life and I do not ever expect to see it change.
>
> The fact is that all the great music was written after the Baroque era....

One can only wonder why Mr. Dolan likes to portray himself as an
imbecile at times. ;)

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>Note to Ed: Your beloved Beethoven referred to Handel as "the master of
>>>us all" after seeing the scores for some of the oratorios.

>> All the great composers who came after the Baroque era knew that music
>> and learned from it, but they did not write their music in that style,
>> and for good reason. No one wanted to listen to that kind of music
>> anymore. It was relegated to the Church and has been there ever since.
>> The long playing record resurrected this music to some extent.

> Listen to K427 if you want to hear a post Baroque composition influenced
> greatly by Handel. Or does J. C. W. A. Mozart not qualify as a great
> composer in your estimation?

Influences do not count. It is the overall composition style that matters.
Mozart was not a Baroque era composer. He was the epitome of a Classical era
composer, the heir of J.C. Bach and Haydn. He had little or nothing to do
with J.S. Bach.

>> When I was a child I knew only a few pieces of Baroque music. This was in
>> the period of the 78 rpm record and there was very little of it
>> available. The LP record changed all of that and I am familiar with the
>> music. But I really don't like it much. I have literally hundreds of
>> albums of Baroque music, but I don't listen to it anymore. It strikes me
>> as being more muzak than music....

> This means that Mr. Dolan has missed out in the vast improvement in modern
> performance practices of Baroque music. Most of the LP era performances
> are rather "pedestrian" by today's standard.

Original instrumentation performances do not interest me. The LP era was
long and extensive and everything worth hearing was available in multiple
recordings. The present CD recordings are overkill and we are now getting
much classical music that would be better forgotten and never put on record.

>> I think musicians like Baroque era music, but I am not a musician. I am a
>> listener and probably a fairly average one. I note that concert hall
>> programs will normally only present Baroque music as a filler and that
>> radio programming also does the same thing. The main part of any program
>> will always be Classical or Romantic era music. It has been that way all
>> of my life and I do not ever expect to see it change.
>>
>> The fact is that all the great music was written after the Baroque
>> era....

> One can only wonder why Mr. Dolan likes to portray himself as an imbecile
> at times. ;)

Noboby listens to pre-Classical era music except for pretentious snobs,
usually connected to academicia. If concert programs consisted of too much
of this type of music, the halls would soon be empty. Only Mr. Sherman would
be sitting there all by himself pretending that he liked the music.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

And I ask both of you what has this to do with biking shoes?> Edward
Dolan wrote:

>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Listen to the double bass line in the opening statement of the Credo
>>> of the B-Minor Mass. If you do not see the humor of JSB writing such
>>> a thing into what was intended to be a summation of his entire career
>>> of vocal/choral composition; you really are a half-wit.

>> I repeat: THERE IS NO HUMOR IN MUSIC!

> Then I must be impolite and say you are a half-wit, Mr. Dolan!

"bill marsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[...]
>>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I repeat: THERE IS NO HUMOR IN MUSIC!

>> Then I must be impolite and say you are a half-wit, Mr. Dolan!

> And I ask both of you what has this to do with biking shoes?

Any content having to do with biking shoes died long ago. But I believe it
is better to stay on the original subject heading even though we are off
topic than initiate a new subject. Normally, a subject topic will not last
very long. If it does go on and on you can figure that it is off topic and
does not have anything to do with subject heading.

All conversation wanders. It is the nature of the beast. I will not jump on
a thread as long as it is active on the subject, but eventually the subject
begins to wander, and then I figure it is fair game for the likes of me. If
I were you, I would never bother reading a thread for it's subject after
about 10 messages or so. It will invariably be off topic by then.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> All conversation wanders. It is the nature of the beast. I will not jump on
> a thread as long as it is active on the subject, but eventually the subject
> begins to wander, and then I figure it is fair game for the likes of me....

Mr. Dolan proved that this is a lie just yesterday, when he posted an
off-topic political rant as the second post on a thread that had an
on-topic original post (as I pointed out on another thread).

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:

>> All conversation wanders. It is the nature of the beast. I will not jump
>> on a thread as long as it is active on the subject, but eventually the
>> subject begins to wander, and then I figure it is fair game for the likes
>> of me....

> Mr. Dolan proved that this is a lie just yesterday, when he posted an
> off-topic political rant as the second post on a thread that had an
> on-topic original post (as I pointed out on another thread).

Impossible, unless the subject was off topic to begin with and/or someone
was saying something so incredibly stupid that it cannot be allowed to pass.
Only I can judge of these matters of course.

I do not go to the Google web page anymore and I now rely on my newsreader
(Outlook Express) exclusively. I note others are changing the subject
headings within a thread, but as long as it stays under the original subject
thread, then I do not consider it to be a new posting on a new subject.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota