Biking shorts for men

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chris Zacho "Th, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Can anyone tell me why no body has incorporated a support cup into bike shorts? Have they never had
    their jewels find themselves way betwixt their thigh and the saddle horn?

  2. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Chris
    Zacho "The Wheelman") writes:

    >Can anyone tell me why no body has incorporated a support cup into bike shorts? Have they never had
    >their jewels find themselves way betwixt their thigh and the saddle horn?

    Appearance?

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  3. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Chris Zacho writes:

    > Can anyone tell me why no body has incorporated a support cup into bike shorts? Have they never
    > had their jewels find themselves way betwixt their thigh and the saddle horn?

    I guess your shorts don't fit well but most riders don't give that aspect of bicycle shorts a
    thought. Bicyclists don't bounce as runners do and should have no problem with keeping the "package"
    where it fits best. Since you mentioned your weight recently, it seems to me to be a contributing
    effect on saddle position and comfort.

    Of course we could go back to the middle ages with a codpiece in the suit of armor some of which
    were enormous.

    http://www.onr.com/user/steveh/cods.htm

  4. Allan Leedy

    Allan Leedy Guest

    There's also the "Funny Cide" method.

    "Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone tell me why no body has incorporated a support cup into bike shorts? Have they never
    > had their jewels find themselves way betwixt their thigh and the saddle horn?
    >
    > May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris
    >
    > Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  5. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <jesKa.5573$%[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

    > Chris Zacho writes:
    >
    > > Can anyone tell me why no body has incorporated a support cup into bike shorts? Have they never
    > > had their jewels find themselves way betwixt their thigh and the saddle horn?
    >
    > I guess your shorts don't fit well but most riders don't give that aspect of bicycle shorts a
    > thought. Bicyclists don't bounce as runners do and should have no problem with keeping the
    > "package" where it fits best. Since you mentioned your weight recently, it seems to me to be a
    > contributing effect on saddle position and comfort.

    I find that shorts with flimsy fabric and/or which are too large are prone to this problem. Properly
    sized good quality shorts were my solution.

    You know, I don't remember that happening back in the days of wool shorts. Rose colored
    glasses, perhaps?

    > Of course we could go back to the middle ages with a codpiece in the suit of armor some of which
    > were enormous.
    >
    > http://www.onr.com/user/steveh/cods.htm

    Good grief, how do you find all these entertaining Web sites? Reminds me of a certain episode of
    Black Adder...

  6. When mountain biking, it is not unusual to have the body positioned behind the saddle.... almost
    sitting on the rear wheel, arms fully extended. .. This position is required on steep drops .. When
    in that position, any break in momentum will cause a "groin plant" ... It hurts. Member Help
    Community Leader

  7. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    > Can anyone tell me why no body has incorporated a support cup into bike shorts? Have they never
    > had their jewels find themselves way betwixt their thigh and the saddle horn?

    Even better, an insulated cup! Besides the issue of jimmy floating off to one side, and his friends
    sometimes wedging up and in - those guys can get cold on rides certain times of year! And I don't
    know about you but mine itches when it gets cold! (and no, I got that cleared up after college).

  8. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Chris Zacho writes:
    >

    >>Can anyone tell me why no body has incorporated a support cup into bike shorts? Have they never
    >>had their jewels find themselves way betwixt their thigh and the saddle horn?
    >

    > I guess your shorts don't fit well but most riders don't give that aspect of bicycle shorts a
    > thought. Bicyclists don't bounce as runners do and should have no problem with keeping the
    > "package" where it fits best. Since you mentioned your weight recently, it seems to me to be a
    > contributing effect on saddle position and comfort.
    >
    > Of course we could go back to the middle ages with a codpiece in the suit of armor some of which
    > were enormous.

    You've never been mountain biking :). I'm out of the seat all of the time and shifting all over the
    place. I find that my shorts are usually adequate though :).

    David

  9. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    David Kunz writes:

    >>> Can anyone tell me why no body has incorporated a support cup into bike shorts? Have they never
    >>> had their jewels find themselves way betwixt their thigh and the saddle horn?

    >> I guess your shorts don't fit well but most riders don't give that aspect of bicycle shorts a
    >> thought. Bicyclists don't bounce as runners do and should have no problem with keeping the
    >> "package" where it fits best. Since you mentioned your weight recently, it seems to me to be a
    >> contributing effect on saddle position and comfort.

    >> Of course we could go back to the middle ages with a codpiece in the suit of armor some of which
    >> were enormous.

    > You've never been mountain biking :). I'm out of the seat all of the time and shifting all over
    > the place. I find that my shorts are usually adequate though :).

    Oh? So if you are out of the saddle, your crotch isn't bouncing like that of a runner whose feet
    strike the ground harder than any bumps that come through pedals. I should say:

    You've never been running [mountain biking] :).

  10. "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Can anyone tell me why no body has incorporated a support cup into bike shorts? Have they never
    > > had their jewels find themselves way betwixt their thigh and the saddle horn?
    >
    > Even better, an insulated cup! Besides the issue of jimmy floating off to one side, and his
    > friends sometimes wedging up and in - those guys can get cold on rides certain times of year! And
    > I don't know about you but mine itches when it gets cold! (and no, I got that cleared up after
    > college).

    But scratching feels so goooood!

  11. "Charles Beristain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > When mountain biking, it is not unusual to have the body positioned behind the saddle.... almost
    > sitting on the rear wheel, arms fully extended. .. This position is required on steep drops ..
    > When in that position, any break in momentum will cause a "groin plant" ... It hurts.

    If this is a regular occurrence, like more than once, then maybe some fenders are in order.