Biking Shorts?

Arathald

Jul 27, 2005
I just started biking, im 16 and am very short on money. The bike I'm looking at is old and used for $40 (but in fairly good condition, and looks nice), and is all I can afford. I just spent my last pennies (that I didn't have-- loan from my parents) on a pretty decent (from my hours spent reading reviews and articles) set of pedals and biking shoes (pedals are Shimano m520, shoes are SixSixOne Nuevo '04), cost $73 USD altogether inc. shipping.

I was wondering just how important riding clothes are, and especially if theres a good lower-budget substitute. Without them, my options are my running shorts and a tshirt, which, from what I read are not the best for riding any amount. I do have an underarmour heatgear shirt that I could use, and I was thinking maybe some underarmour shorts. Do you think these would do or should I consider proper biking attire if I'm gonna do any serious riding?

Save you money and buy a good pair of biking shorts. Your butt will thank you for it! Also, look in to getting them from companies like performance or Nashbar. You can get a good pair for about $25/$30. Good Luck and have fun!

sweet- thanks.

sure saves a lot of money knowing where to go -- even cheaper than the underarmour

as for the shirt, will my underarmour last me for a good long while, or should I look at getting something else whenever my wallet's a little fuller?

I use a bike jersey, but I also us underarmor on rides. It all depends. With underarmor, you are/have everything you need, mostly the wicking ability of the fabric. You will be good in underarmor.

What separates cycling shorts from other shorts is the chammois. What separates cycling jerseys from t-shirts is the zipper (to cool down on hot days) and the rear pockets, which allows you to carry stuff like CO2 bottles, pumps, food & water. Can you ride a bike without them? Sure. Do you want to? I don't. Go cut someone's lawn and get some extra cash.

Bike-specific shorts are the one thing you'd really want, the rest is mainly gravy. There's a Performance shop in Northbrook if you live up in that area, but many smaller shops should have some cheaper shorts, otherwise you could order online. Under Armour is good stuff, so I'd say go with what you have. You're not going to wear out a shirt very quick on a bike, so anything you use should last for a decent amount of time.

I would like to wear cycling shorts... But I haven't yet found the ones I can use. Anyone know of shorts in a 52" waist? :eek: I would prefer bibs...

Barring that, should I stop riding until I can fit into the 44's I have seen available? ;)

Happy cycling!!!

Thanks for the info and advice all, I guess I'll try to save up a little more as quick as I can.

Just got my pedals today (Shimano PD-M520). They seem nice so far, but, can't tell much until the shoes get here. They came with platforms that clip on (I dunno if that's standard). It took a bit of effort to get the on, especially with the pedals off a bike. Then I put them on my old MTB so i could get the platforms off. It took some effort, and I got a nasty-looking gash on my left ring finger.

Arathald said:
Thanks for the info and advice all, I guess I'll try to save up a little more as quick as I can.

Just got my pedals today (Shimano PD-M520). They seem nice so far, but, can't tell much until the shoes get here. They came with platforms that clip on (I dunno if that's standard). It took a bit of effort to get the on, especially with the pedals off a bike. Then I put them on my old MTB so i could get the platforms off. It took some effort, and I got a nasty-looking gash on my left ring finger.
The 520s really aren't a bad pedal for the money. I've got two sets and never had a problem with them. Just make sure when you get ready to use them for real, you go to a nice schoolyard or park, or somewhere else with a lot of fall-absorbing grass to practice getting in and out of the pedals. :DThe falls will likely come either just starting or just stopping. The first day I mounted clipless pedals, oh so long ago now, I foolishly ignored this advice, took the bike out to head to work and managed to fall down (oddly enough to the side opposite I had unclipped from) at the first stoplight I came to. Could've been ugly if traffic had been heavy... And it was embarrassing. But you will fall down. I think most people when making the switch either do or come close, but don't let that dissuade you. Before long, it becomes second nature, and I'd feel very unsafe with flats at this point, honestly.

Arathald said:
I just started biking, im 16 and am very short on money. The bike I'm looking at is old and used for $40 (but in fairly good condition, and looks nice), and is all I can afford. I just spent my last pennies (that I didn't have-- loan from my parents) on a pretty decent (from my hours spent reading reviews and articles) set of pedals and biking shoes (pedals are Shimano m520, shoes are SixSixOne Nuevo '04), cost $73 USD altogether inc. shipping.

I was wondering just how important riding clothes are, and especially if theres a good lower-budget substitute. Without them, my options are my running shorts and a tshirt, which, from what I read are not the best for riding any amount. I do have an underarmour heatgear shirt that I could use, and I was thinking maybe some underarmour shorts. Do you think these would do or should I consider proper biking attire if I'm gonna do any serious riding?
As has been pointed out already, shorts will be your best next purchase. And get lots of them. I have 4 pair and I still would like more, to outlive the laundry cycle. :D Any wicking shirt will be fine. I bought some Nike Dri-Fit sumthin nuther t-shirt types at a sporting goods store for under $10 a piece, and I wear them alternately with the few jerseys I have. No big deal. As long as you aren't using a cotton t-shirt on hot days (I did at first and man, do they get soaked), it's cool. Actual jerseys with pockets are nice, but not 100% necessary. You can get a seat bag if you need to carry stuff (and for sure carry at least one tube, a patch kit, tire tool, ID, a couple bucks for an emergency phone call, an emergency water, or an emergency food stop, and it might be a good idea to get a CO2 inflater instead of relying just on a micro pump). Bags are cheap. Jerseys can be quite expensive. There are plenty of bag choices out there, from minimalist designs to something that looks like a trunk.

Yes, save your money and treat yourself to a pair of decent (8 panel, nice padded chamois or artificial equivalent) pair of shorts.

Besides being much more comfortable, how else would you get a tan line just above the knee!!

Cheers

WP33 said:
The 520s really aren't a bad pedal for the money.
Not only are thay not bad for the money, they're especially good when you get them for $38 inc. shipping brand new. Got them in two days all the way from sunny California.

domaindomain said:
Yes, save your money and treat yourself to a pair of decent (8 panel, nice padded chamois or artificial equivalent) pair of shorts.

Besides being much more comfortable, how else would you get a tan line just above the knee!!
Well, my running shorts are above the knee, as per tradition and common running world fashion (and our competition shorts are extremely short-- way too short if you ask me -- probably almost a good foot and a half above the knee).

But all joking aside, I guess I'll start by buying one pair and making sure I do laundry before every day I ride (I'm gonna be doing a lot of laundry), then invest in more once I can afford them (which might be a little while, but as I hear, well worth the wait).