Biking Survey

Jose R. Aragon

Guest
Fellow Bikers,

I'm an MBA student at the Kellogg School of Management doing some research on a potential business
idea. If you have a few minutes (10 or less) to take an on-line survey I'd appreciate it.

The survey is resident on a Northwestern University server and I have no way of tracking you down if
you click the survey link below:

http://www9.kellogg.nwu.edu/student/jaragon2003/jaragon2003%21Run%20Flat%20M
tn%20Bike%20Tires.poll.html

If you have any questions for me, I can be reached at jaragon2003 at kellogg.northwestern.edu.

Thanks, Jose

Jose R. Aragon, Jr. Toigo Fellow, Class of 2003
J.L. Kellogg School of Management Northwestern University

"Jose R. Aragon Jr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Fellow Bikers,
>
> I'm an MBA student at the Kellogg School of Management doing some research on a potential business
> idea. If you have a few minutes (10 or less) to take an on-line survey I'd appreciate it.
>
> The survey is resident on a Northwestern University server and I have no
way
> of tracking you down if you click the survey link below:

http://www9.kellogg.nwu.edu/student/jaragon2003/jaragon2003%21Run%20Flat%20M
> tn%20Bike%20Tires.poll.html
>
> If you have any questions for me, I can be reached at jaragon2003 at kellogg.northwestern.edu.
>
> Thanks, Jose
>
> Jose R. Aragon, Jr. Toigo Fellow, Class of 2003
> J.L. Kellogg School of Management Northwestern University

"Jose R. Aragon Jr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Fellow Bikers,
>
> I'm an MBA student at the Kellogg School of Management doing some research on a potential business
> idea. If you have a few minutes (10 or less) to take an on-line survey I'd appreciate it.
>
> The survey is resident on a Northwestern University server and I have no
way
> of tracking you down if you click the survey link below:

http://www9.kellogg.nwu.edu/student/jaragon2003/jaragon2003%21Run%20Flat%20M
> tn%20Bike%20Tires.poll.html
>
> If you have any questions for me, I can be reached at jaragon2003 at kellogg.northwestern.edu.
>
> Thanks, Jose
>
> Jose R. Aragon, Jr. Toigo Fellow, Class of 2003
> J.L. Kellogg School of Management Northwestern University

Here's some free advice: Pre-test the survey before you send it out.

1. The survey assumes you have only one bike.

2. Question 5 assumes you would purchase tires or tubes only in one outlet. That's unlikely. It also
omits on-line and catalog retailers like Nashbar, which seem to do a lot of tire/tube business
from the space these items take up in their catalogs/websites. The question is worthless.

3. Question 10 is "Do you currently have puncture-resistant tires on your bike?" What do you mean by
puncture-resistant? Do you mean a kevlar belt, or a reverse tread? What about airless tires?
These aren't "puncture-resistant" -- they can't puncture at all. Should we count things that
might ordinarily be thought of as tubes, not tires, but which have puncture-resistant qualities:
slime tubes, thornproof tubes? What about things that are neither tubes nor tires, such as Mr
Tuffy tire liners?

4. Question 12 says: "A "Run-Flat Tire" would remain inflated after a puncture to allow you to
finish your ride." I'm lost here. If it remains inflated, in what sense is it flat?

How would it be different from a slime tube, in which a puncture is either not noticeable, or
results in the bike stabilizing at a lower PSI than normal (assuming the slime is effective against
the puncture)?

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Here's some free advice: Pre-test the survey before you send it out.

Ain't that the truth.

Mike gave some good suggestions, here's another one:

"How much did you pay for your bike?" Big difference here is when you bought it -- or do you figure
that if you spent $500 in 1985 that's the same as $500 today?

> 1. The survey assumes you have only one bike.

And then, are you answering the questions for just your mountain bike, or for all the bikes you own?

Warm Regards,

Claire