Biking- Targeting the vastus medialis muscle -VMO

beanntony

Dec 8, 2007
Can anyone tell me how to target the vastus medialis muscle while biking? Should my seat be higher or lower, should my toes be directed outward? Is there ANYTHING I can do to target my VMO? I have patella femorla syndrome and right now my kneecap is maltracking so bad I hate to even walk, but riding the bike doesnt huet at all, so I thought I could help strengthen the VMO using the bike...possibly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much
Bean:)

I don't think it's possible to target the VMO on the bike, at least, not without risking screwing up something else. If you try point your toes to one side or the other you'll screw up your knee fast. I also think there's a split of opinion as to whether patella-femoral syndrome is really caused by a weak VMO.

I had it for a year and finally wen to an orthopedic (a good sports-oriented one). Long story short, my pelvis was crooked due to an SI joint being out of whack, causing one leg to be functionally shorter. The knee was the symptom, not the problem. What fixed it for me was relentless stretching of the IT band, glutes, and hip abductors (or adducters, whichever is on the "front" of the hip just below your waist. This helps prevent the kneecap being pulled to the outside.

Cycling tends to strengthen the VL relative to the VMO, so the solution is off-the-bike strengthening of the VMO, if a relatively weak VMO is the problem.