Biking the New Jersey & New England Shore roads

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by anono, May 25, 2004.

  1. anono

    anono Guest

    Has anyone riden up from Rehobath, taking the ferry and then up the NJ shore
    roads?

    Two of us are thinking about going up to boston on bike, staying as close as
    possible to the shore.
    Anythoughts on riding conditions in NJ?
    Has anybody used a Yak carrier trailer - does it REALLY slow you down. Is it
    stable in braking situations?
    Any advice on camping near the ocean?

    Tags:

  2. NYRides

    NYRides Guest

    I can't tell you anything about the NJ portion of your trip, but I have
    ridden the Connecticut coast from Bridgeport to Providence, Rhode Island.

    The CT coast is one of my favorite rides, but not because there are that
    many shoreline views - or even places to stop by the water, for that matter.

    Anyway, your trip to Boston would be pretty far inland, unless you go all
    the way east, through Providence. That's adding a lot of miles to the trip,
    and I don't think you're going to find any camping anywhere, unless you're
    OK with sneaking onto one of the few small beaches you'll encounter.

    I wouldn't let any of these things stop you, though. Just check with some
    of the locals in Boston regarding a safe route into the city. I had planned
    to ride from NY to Boston years ago. Local riders convinced me that the
    last ten miles would be no fun at all. Perhaps you'll find more optimistic
    resources than I did!

    "anono" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > Has anyone riden up from Rehobath, taking the ferry and then up the NJ

    shore
    > roads?
    >
    > Two of us are thinking about going up to boston on bike, staying as close

    as
    > possible to the shore.
    > Anythoughts on riding conditions in NJ?
    > Has anybody used a Yak carrier trailer - does it REALLY slow you down. Is

    it
    > stable in braking situations?
    > Any advice on camping near the ocean?

  3. Being a NJ resident, I'd say, "Are you nuts?". (just kidding) I can't think
    of any lightly traveled route from northern NJ to the shore in the "on"
    season. If you took route 1, 9, 35, or 18 they all have many retail stores,
    traffic lights, and many cars.

    Your only option might be to try to take strictly very local roads from town
    to town on the way.

    As far as camping goes, I don't think that there are any ocean front
    campsites. There are some inland campsites in Toms River area (near Seaside
    Heights), and Great Egg Harbor (near Atlantic City)

  4. roger dennis

    roger dennis Guest

    funny for this topic to come up today..i will be riding from cherry
    hill to the ferry tomorrow...73/322/50/9..works well..good shoulders
    all the way..the adventure cycyling atlantic routes also do the
    trick..r

  5. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:10:00 -0400, "anono"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Has anyone riden up from Rehobath, taking the ferry and then up the NJ shore
    >roads?
    >
    >Two of us are thinking about going up to boston on bike, staying as close as
    >possible to the shore.
    >Anythoughts on riding conditions in NJ?

    Having ridden in New Jersey and Rhode Island I'd say this is an
    impractical plan. Because of the barrier island characteristics of
    most of the Jersey shore, any roads that get close to and parallel the
    ocean don't go very far. Any roads that parallel the shore and
    actually go somewhere are so far from the ocean that you'll be lucky
    if you ever see it.

    Rhode Island (and I assume Connecticut) are similarly broken up, but
    for different reasons. This shoreline is broken up by many, many
    inlets, which has forced the through roads to be built far back from
    the ocean (sound).

    Then there's the whole problem of traversing the New York metropolitan
    area. :-(

  6. NYRides

    NYRides Guest

    >>...Having ridden in New Jersey and Rhode Island I'd say this is an
    impractical plan....<<<<

    As I said in my e-mail, I'd have to agree. The New England shore is not
    what you might expect. Although a quick glance at a map might suggest that
    it's all along water, there really aren't many roads with any kind of great
    water views or access.

    What you might want to do is plan your route to use the north shore of Long
    Island as far east as Port Jefferson, where you can catch a nice ferry ride
    to Bridgeport, CT. The obvious north shore route is not really along the
    water, either, but it's probably more pleasant than skirting the CT shore
    past Stamford, Norwalk, etc. Once you get out of the sleazy section of
    Bridgeport, there are some pretty cool towns to ride through as you head
    along the coast toward Rhode Island. I would stop in (New) Milford,
    Guilford, Clinton, Indian Head, the Lymes, Old Saybrook, Mystic (of
    course!), Stonington, Westerly Rhode Island (Misquamicut Beach is really
    hopping in the summer), Narragansett, Newport, Bristol, and Providence.
    From there, you can work your way to Boston.

    As an alternative, you can ride further east on Long Island, past miles of
    farmland and waterfront resorts to Orient Point, where a ferry will take you
    across to New London, just 11 miles west of Mystic.

    If you want some additional help in planning your route, feel free to e-mail
    me at [email protected]

    "John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:10:00 -0400, "anono"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Has anyone riden up from Rehobath, taking the ferry and then up the NJ

    shore
    > >roads?
    > >
    > >Two of us are thinking about going up to boston on bike, staying as close

    as
    > >possible to the shore.
    > >Anythoughts on riding conditions in NJ?

    > Having ridden in New Jersey and Rhode Island I'd say this is an
    > impractical plan. Because of the barrier island characteristics of
    > most of the Jersey shore, any roads that get close to and parallel the
    > ocean don't go very far. Any roads that parallel the shore and
    > actually go somewhere are so far from the ocean that you'll be lucky
    > if you ever see it.
    >
    > Rhode Island (and I assume Connecticut) are similarly broken up, but
    > for different reasons. This shoreline is broken up by many, many
    > inlets, which has forced the through roads to be built far back from
    > the ocean (sound).
    >
    > Then there's the whole problem of traversing the New York metropolitan
    > area. :-(
    >

    > jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

  7. Janet

    Janet Guest

    Jonathan Kaplan wrote:
    > Being a NJ resident, I'd say, "Are you nuts?". (just kidding) I can't think
    > of any lightly traveled route from northern NJ to the shore in the "on"
    > season. If you took route 1, 9, 35, or 18 they all have many retail stores,
    > traffic lights, and many cars.
    >
    > Your only option might be to try to take strictly very local roads from town
    > to town on the way.
    >
    > As far as camping goes, I don't think that there are any ocean front
    > campsites. There are some inland campsites in Toms River area (near Seaside
    > Heights), and Great Egg Harbor (near Atlantic City)

    Actually, now that it's "in season" riding the local roads through the
    shore towns is not very pleasent either. Lots of cars fighting for too
    few parking spaces and not paying attention to anything (not even other
    cars)

    And I agree with other posters. Not great views. Either the roads will
    be too far inland, or the beachfront houses, shops, etc will block your
    view.

    Janet

  8. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > As an alternative, you can ride further east on Long Island, past miles of
    > farmland and waterfront resorts to Orient Point, where a ferry will take

    you
    > across to New London, just 11 miles west of Mystic.

    Ditto this plan.

    The north shore of Long Island is a far more pleasant ride then the south
    coast of CT. At least the section from Smithtown east to the Orient Point
    Ferry, which would be my choice in any case. Lot's of pretty and quite
    routes, some along the shore.

    Problem is getting there. The ferry from Sandy Hook to Brooklyn maybe, then
    down along the south of Brooklyn - Coney Island, The Rockaway's, then into
    Nassau County is preferable to straight thru the city to Westchester County
    and along the Conn. (non-existing) shoreline. Better route is the long way
    'round the city thru central Jersey then thru the Bear Mt. bridge area then
    maybe follow the AIDS NY-Boston route thru CT.

    If not, and the Long island route seems interesting - it actually can be -
    including a nice campground in eastern Nassau, then e-mail me off-list and I
    can give better and more detailed directions.

    Steve B.

  9. TBGibb

    TBGibb Guest

    I was just in Ocean City, NJ. Land is often very espensive along the ocean in
    that part of the world and I don't look to see (and indeed I don't see) any
    campgrounds along there. But you don't have to go very far inland to start
    finding camp grounds. Assetique island is the only place I've ever camped near
    the ocean. There is a state park at Long Beach island in NJ, but I've never
    noticed any camping there.

    Go west young man (and get a campground guide).

    In article <[email protected]>, "anono"
    <[email protected]> writes:

    >Has anyone riden up from Rehobath, taking the ferry and then up the NJ shore
    >roads?
    >
    >Two of us are thinking about going up to boston on bike, staying as close as
    >possible to the shore.
    >Anythoughts on riding conditions in NJ?
    >Has anybody used a Yak carrier trailer - does it REALLY slow you down. Is it
    >stable in braking situations?
    >Any advice on camping near the ocean

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]>

  10. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    "anono" wrote...
    > Has anyone riden up from Rehobath, taking the ferry and then up the NJ

    shore
    > roads?

    I don't know what's up with all these nay-sayers. I can only speak for
    South Jersey. I would not hesitate to tour up South Jersey. The rest is up
    to you.

  11. Mark

    Mark Guest

    anono wrote:

    > Has anyone riden up from Rehobath, taking the ferry and then up the NJ shore
    > roads?
    >
    > Two of us are thinking about going up to boston on bike, staying as close as
    > possible to the shore.
    > Anythoughts on riding conditions in NJ?
    > Has anybody used a Yak carrier trailer - does it REALLY slow you down. Is it
    > stable in braking situations?
    > Any advice on camping near the ocean?

    Does anyone have an old cue sheet for the Coast the Coast MS150 bike tour? I
    goes from Sandy Hook to Cape May. The few years I did that ride the roads they
    route you on were pretty low with traffic. That might help out for part of your
    ride.

  12. Janet

    Janet Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > anono wrote:
    >

    >>Has anyone riden up from Rehobath, taking the ferry and then up the NJ shore
    >>roads?
    >>
    >>Two of us are thinking about going up to boston on bike, staying as close as
    >>possible to the shore.
    >>Anythoughts on riding conditions in NJ?
    >>Has anybody used a Yak carrier trailer - does it REALLY slow you down. Is it
    >>stable in braking situations?
    >>Any advice on camping near the ocean?

    > Does anyone have an old cue sheet for the Coast the Coast MS150 bike tour? I
    > goes from Sandy Hook to Cape May. The few years I did that ride the roads they
    > route you on were pretty low with traffic. That might help out for part of your
    > ride.

    Sounds like a good idea for a route. But if I remember correctly (I
    didn't do the ride, but read about it), the ride was not held during
    peak tourist season, but off season. Many of the roads along the shore
    area are low traffic off season, but very overcrowded in season.

    Janet

  13. On Mon, 31 May 2004 02:59:07 GMT, Janet <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mark wrote:
    >>
    >> anono wrote:
    >>

    >>>Has anyone riden up from Rehobath, taking the ferry and then up the NJ shore
    >>>roads?
    >>>
    >>>Two of us are thinking about going up to boston on bike, staying as close as
    >>>possible to the shore.
    >>>Anythoughts on riding conditions in NJ?
    >>>Has anybody used a Yak carrier trailer - does it REALLY slow you down. Is it
    >>>stable in braking situations?
    >>>Any advice on camping near the ocean?

    >> Does anyone have an old cue sheet for the Coast the Coast MS150 bike tour? I
    >> goes from Sandy Hook to Cape May. The few years I did that ride the roads they
    >> route you on were pretty low with traffic. That might help out for part of your
    >> ride.
    >>

    > Sounds like a good idea for a route. But if I remember correctly (I
    >didn't do the ride, but read about it), the ride was not held during
    >peak tourist season, but off season. Many of the roads along the shore
    >area are low traffic off season, but very overcrowded in season.
    >
    >Janet

    The summer along the Jersey shore is crowded but I have ridden and
    ride the roads all the time. The biggest problem will be the Northern
    New Jersey, New York City area. That is not good cycling any time of
    the year. You will have to take the George Washington Bridge into NYC.

  14. See my cryptic post on the Greenway thread for some information on dong the
    NE US northof Philadelphia. I hope to have a more detailed report posted in
    the next couple of weeks. In planning my ride, I quickly became convinced
    that an ocean route was out of the question for a "through" rider with
    limited time. I'm not too proud of the routes I did use, either. The only
    really good riding on the whole trip was not in the US at all, but the 185
    mile segment on Quebec route 138, along the St. Lawrence from Montreal to
    Quebec City and on to Ste. Anne de Beaupre. It's mostly level, very scenic,
    especially approaching Quebec city where some moderate heights provide a
    majestic view of the river coursing northward, and on a wide road with not
    much traffic.