Biking thru Albany, NY

Steve Shattuck

Guest
Hello. This summer, a group of about 16 cyclists will be
heading from Greenfield, Massachusetts to Niagara Falls,
passing through Albany on our way to New York Bike Route 5.
Although I have the book, "Cycling along the Canals of New
York" by Louis Rossi, I am at a bit of a loss as to the
directions to and through Albany. If you know of anyone that
could help me, please drop me a line. We biked part of this
route, (Utica to Niagara) two years ago and had a wonderful
experience. Ok, the last 5 miles into Niagara Falls was a
bit touchy but we learn as we go. We'll be looking for an
alternate route into Niagara Falls when we get that far.

Any assistance anyone could give us would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

[email protected]

Perhaps the people that organize the FANY ride
(www.fanyride.com) that starts in Niagara Falls and ends at
the Empire State Plaza in Albany could help you. They
certainty know how to get in and out of Albany on a bicycle.
Or maybe you could reverse your route by joining the ride
and then continue from Albany to Greenfield. The ride has
had less than 100 riders and averages about 70 miles a day.

My memory is a bit hazy, but I ran the Mohawk Marathon
about 15 years ago. It followed a bike path from
Sehcnectady to downtown Albany, finishing on the river
roughly in front of the old train station. It was almost
exclusively an off-road path.

Edwin Kay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My memory is a bit hazy, but I ran the Mohawk Marathon
> about 15 years ago. It followed a bike path from
> Sehcnectady to downtown Albany, finishing on the river
> roughly in front of the old train station. It was almost
> exclusively an off-road path.
>
> Jim Spencer wrote:
> > Perhaps the people that organize the FANY ride
> > (www.fanyride.com) that starts in Niagara Falls and ends
> > at the Empire State Plaza in Albany could help you. They
> > certainty know how to get in and out of Albany on a
> > bicycle. Or maybe you could reverse your route by
> > joining the ride and then continue from Albany to
> > Greenfield. The ride has had less than 100 riders and
> > averages about 70 miles a day.

According to an article in this week's Albany Times Union,
the Hudson River Trail from downtown Albany north to Cohoes
is going to be undergoing some repairs and upgrades this
summer. It will probably still be ridable. Another option is
to take NY 32 north out of Albany. NY 32 parallels the river
just to the west of the trail. Either way you pick up the
Mohawk River Trail in Cohoes (it's on the south side of the
river/canal).

I, too, ran the Schenectady to Albany trails way back in
1984. It's a very scenic ride.

You might also consider taking US 20 out of downtown Albany
(and the humungous Empire State Plaza) about a mile then
left on New Scotland Avenue and following this to the
villages of Slingerlands, Voorheesville (sp?) and Altamont.
You'll get a nice view of the Helderberg escarpment, apple
orchards, etc. Once out of Albany proper this and subsequent
roads are actually in pretty good condition for biking.

Crossing the Hudaon can be done at either Troy or Albany.
The Albany bridge is US 20.

Good luck.