Biking thru Albany, NY

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Steve Shattuck, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Hello. This summer, a group of about 16 cyclists will be
    heading from Greenfield, Massachusetts to Niagara Falls,
    passing through Albany on our way to New York Bike Route 5.
    Although I have the book, "Cycling along the Canals of New
    York" by Louis Rossi, I am at a bit of a loss as to the
    directions to and through Albany. If you know of anyone that
    could help me, please drop me a line. We biked part of this
    route, (Utica to Niagara) two years ago and had a wonderful
    experience. Ok, the last 5 miles into Niagara Falls was a
    bit touchy but we learn as we go. We'll be looking for an
    alternate route into Niagara Falls when we get that far.

    Any assistance anyone could give us would be very welcome.

    Thanks in advance,

    Steve

    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Jim Spencer

    Jim Spencer Guest

    Perhaps the people that organize the FANY ride
    (www.fanyride.com) that starts in Niagara Falls and ends at
    the Empire State Plaza in Albany could help you. They
    certainty know how to get in and out of Albany on a bicycle.
    Or maybe you could reverse your route by joining the ride
    and then continue from Albany to Greenfield. The ride has
    had less than 100 riders and averages about 70 miles a day.

  3. Edwin Kay

    Edwin Kay Guest

    My memory is a bit hazy, but I ran the Mohawk Marathon
    about 15 years ago. It followed a bike path from
    Sehcnectady to downtown Albany, finishing on the river
    roughly in front of the old train station. It was almost
    exclusively an off-road path.

    Jim Spencer wrote:
    > Perhaps the people that organize the FANY ride
    > (www.fanyride.com) that starts in Niagara Falls and ends
    > at the Empire State Plaza in Albany could help you. They
    > certainty know how to get in and out of Albany on a
    > bicycle. Or maybe you could reverse your route by joining
    > the ride and then continue from Albany to Greenfield. The
    > ride has had less than 100 riders and averages about 70
    > miles a day.

  4. John

    John Guest

    Edwin Kay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My memory is a bit hazy, but I ran the Mohawk Marathon
    > about 15 years ago. It followed a bike path from
    > Sehcnectady to downtown Albany, finishing on the river
    > roughly in front of the old train station. It was almost
    > exclusively an off-road path.
    >
    > Jim Spencer wrote:
    > > Perhaps the people that organize the FANY ride
    > > (www.fanyride.com) that starts in Niagara Falls and ends
    > > at the Empire State Plaza in Albany could help you. They
    > > certainty know how to get in and out of Albany on a
    > > bicycle. Or maybe you could reverse your route by
    > > joining the ride and then continue from Albany to
    > > Greenfield. The ride has had less than 100 riders and
    > > averages about 70 miles a day.

    According to an article in this week's Albany Times Union,
    the Hudson River Trail from downtown Albany north to Cohoes
    is going to be undergoing some repairs and upgrades this
    summer. It will probably still be ridable. Another option is
    to take NY 32 north out of Albany. NY 32 parallels the river
    just to the west of the trail. Either way you pick up the
    Mohawk River Trail in Cohoes (it's on the south side of the
    river/canal).

    I, too, ran the Schenectady to Albany trails way back in
    1984. It's a very scenic ride.

    You might also consider taking US 20 out of downtown Albany
    (and the humungous Empire State Plaza) about a mile then
    left on New Scotland Avenue and following this to the
    villages of Slingerlands, Voorheesville (sp?) and Altamont.
    You'll get a nice view of the Helderberg escarpment, apple
    orchards, etc. Once out of Albany proper this and subsequent
    roads are actually in pretty good condition for biking.

    Crossing the Hudaon can be done at either Troy or Albany.
    The Albany bridge is US 20.

    Good luck.