biking to school

E500 C.E.

Aug 28, 2004
Do any of you guys bike to and from school, and just bring a change of cloths to wear during school?

E500 C.E. said:
Do any of you guys bike to and from school, and just bring a change of cloths to wear during school?
NO WAY! whos knows what some of the twisted f**kheads at school would do to it!

As for wearing Lycra to school, i do it all the time, its our school dress code! :D just kidding

E500 C.E. said:
Yeah, just don't take my good bike.

started this year. school is only 5 minutes on bike from here though. as for clothes i wear what i would wear if i was walking to school. just put up the jeans like they were shorts. dunno how to say it. so it wouldnt go to the bike chain and rip apart :)

i live like 5 minutes away from school.
But I usually bike to school from work...and yes, i do bring an extra t-shirt.

when i lived in holland i biked to high school everyday.
this was 12 km and a great base for training.
no need to get into your racing gear if you have a good mud guards, chain case etc. hey these bikes are used by dutch politicians to go to work.
decent stuff.
you shouldn't do so as it is only going to be another reason not to bike.
b_65.jpg

it would be a good idea to get clipless pedals on them if you're using those in races, as this can become an important part of your training you still like your pedalling to be as round as possible.
in the mornings i was always late and average daily time was 28 minutes for 12 km. on the age of 15 this was on a dutch "school" bike with 4 gears and no special gear on it, just wel greased and good bearings.

so if you're serious about racing and you're still at school, time can be scarce.
i knew of cats doing a good 40 k to school every day (80 k total /day)
i know holland is the ideal country to do everything by bike but you should try to do so no matter where you live, get an appropriate bike and do NOT miss out any day and see it as training.

i didnt mind biking on my own either, which may have been an important factor.

good luck. its the way to go boys and girls, same old distance everyday is good base training.

yeah i bike to school sometimes...i just wear my regular freeride clothes to school, my Fox racing shorts and a grey t-shirt and regular tennies for me...but i i had a road bike i would NOT ride to school...good god people would laugh at me :-/

~Scott

I ride my road bike to school occasionally and there are about 5 roadies who ride to school on the road bikes as well but never, never, never, would i wear my cycling clothing to school, if you did you would never be able to have a serious conversation to anyone without the subject being brought up, its like swimming, there was a guy who swam in speedo fastskin pants and from then on everyone called if thorpie or tighty.

E500 C.E. said:
I have ridden to school every day for around 10 years now (I'm in my final year of high school). My primary school was about a 4km ride and my high school is 2km so it's not exactly hard. However these last few years I've found myself riding pretty much everywhere I go. Trams/Trains/buses are too slow, and while I could get my parents to drive me I like to do things for myself.

I don't plan on buying a car or driving regularly any time soon. This is partly because of concerns about the enviroment, but mostly because cycling is cheaper and in many cases faster. Not to mention it gives me training for the competitive cycling I've taken up.

As for what I ride and wear, I ride to school in my normal school clothes, as I don't start sweating on the five minute ride.

i ride to school everyday in normal school uniform on a road bike (not my good one). i'll save the fassa bortolo lycra top and the tights for the afternoon but what is the big deal if you decided to train in the morning just rock up in the bike gear chain it up and whack on the uniform over the top. REMEMBER SOME DEODERANT!. dont be ashamed that ur a cyclist or even that you dream of racing in the tour de france, if you have half decent mates they'll forget about it soon and really who cares if you cop a bit of criticism. dare to dream coz when you leave school you dont have to worry about the tools who put you down.:D

macca1234 said:
i ride to school everyday in normal school uniform on a road bike (not my good one). i'll save the fassa bortolo lycra top and the tights for the afternoon but what is the big deal if you decided to train in the morning just rock up in the bike gear chain it up and whack on the uniform over the top. REMEMBER SOME DEODERANT!. dont be ashamed that ur a cyclist or even that you dream of racing in the tour de france, if you have half decent mates they'll forget about it soon and really who cares if you cop a bit of criticism. dare to dream coz when you leave school you dont have to worry about the tools who put you down.:D
there is really no point in me cycling to school as its only 3K from my house, and if i did my bike would get destroyed.

Im outta school, doing my last course on my own while i work, but when i went to school, i biked everyday. i also wore regualr shorts everyday...just normal flowery bermuda shorts...if it was cold id wear long johns underneath haha. im a fashion statement though

steve

Madhouse159 said:
there is really no point in me cycling to school as its only 3K from my house, and if i did my bike would get destroyed.

Where on this planet do you live that your bike would get destroyed?

i ride to school, just roll up the leg on my chain side and i wear my sport t-shirt, i just put my shirt and tie on when i get to school. is prob about a 7k ride from my place, up hills and everything. its pretty hard bbut easy for me now. i always remember the deodarent (spelling) tho

I ride to school every chance I get. In about a week I get to start riding there again. The ride is the best part of school! My ride is really short, maby 2 miles tops. Still, I have to cross 2 high mph, busy roads. And go under a interstate. But I can get there fast on my 1982 suteki ;) The only thing I get asked is, what kind of handlebars are those? I can understand this because, there is hardly any road bikes around here. I just say, "there drop bars, They give me more hand positions, and I can be a little more aerodynamic". I dont bring a change of clothes or anything, but I will start bringing a rain jacket.

I ride to school most days I don't have to stay late... as it's 16 miles each way I do wear my full cycling gear.. clip shoes, shorts/ jersey...... i keep clothes in a locker in the locker room and change at school... i'm sure I get funky looks, but i'm riding too fast to notice! lol.. jk.. most people I talk to are amazed I ride THAT far to get to school when i have a truck. As for people making fun, it's college (ya, so not a "junior" anymore) so there are stranger things to talk about... though I've never seen anyone else who comes to school all decked out... most is just the shoes w/ normal clothes

I never ride to school- it's too short, and it's basically junk mileage, and my bike would deffinitely get stolen. If my school was two or more miles away, I would do it if I had a bike that I could commute on.

if i wanted to get to school on time i'd have to leave home at 7:15am i live 42km out. i dont really want to ride flat out so i sit on a comfotable speed, so i can still concentrate in class.