Biking to work gloves

celia123

Sep 10, 2007
I have started biking to work every friday for the past two months. I'm about to increase to include Mondays and Tuesday if possible, however I'm sure this is only going to increase my palm pain that I've been experiencing after riding every Friday. I ride 19.5 miles round trip. I was watching the Tour de France and seen that all the bikers was wearing gloves. And I though maybe this isn't just to match their outfits but to actually help protect their palms. So here I am asking you all. I've just looked into this Insulated Gloves. Am I on the right track? will I be disappointed?

Are their any other gloves you would recommend I wear to help reduce palm pain while riding? I'm on a Trek Pilot 1.0 bike if for some reason you need to know.
Thanks

Celia, gloves will definitely help cushion your palms when you ride and I think they are an important safety item as well.

If you have the misfortune to wreck your bike your first instinct will be to get a hand down to break your fall and good gloves will greatly reduce the damage done to your hands.

You can get full finger or half finger gloves, you can get cold weather or warm weather gloves, you can get gloves with a lot of padding or minimum padding, or just about any combination of all of those things.

Here's a couple of links for you to look at if you want to.

The first is full finger gloves:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCategory_10053_10052_200494_-1_200275_200341

and this one is half finger gloves:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCategory_10053_10052_200493_-1_200275_200341

I'm not suggesting you buy from Nashbar, I'm just used to their website so I tend to use it to show examples.

Some folks will buy the half finger style biking gloves for warm weather use and then just wear large regular (non-biking) winter gloves over them in cold weather. There are a lot of different ways to handle that..

I rode without gloves for many years and didn't experience any pain although I did get a few calluses on my hands.

Try the gloves but if that doesn't fix the problem it might be because you have too much weight on your hands. That would mean your bike fit isn't right - I think the fixes are to move the bars higher, bring them in a little closer, and make sure your seat it perfectly level so you aren't leaning forward on your hands.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

I rode without gloves for many years and didn't experience any pain although I did get a few calluses on my hands.

Try the gloves but if that doesn't fix the problem it might be because you have too much weight on your hands. That would mean your bike fit isn't right - I think the fixes are to move the bars higher, bring them in a little closer, and make sure your seat it perfectly level so you aren't leaning forward on your hands.

Good luck.
. . . and to strengthen your core.

Why does everyone keep replying to spam posts? Forum members "jackson123" and "celia123" both joined 9/2007, and both continually post dealstudio spam links. Google "dealstudio spam" and you will see this is a common tactic. I've flagged them both several times over the years, but I guess the mods could care less.

I've noticed quite a few spam posts which really pi5s me off, is there a procedure to report/get rid of them?

Originally Posted by Mattcreed .

I've noticed quite a few spam posts which really pi5s me off, is there a procedure to report/get rid of them?

Click on the red flag in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Originally Posted by Scotty_Dog .

Why does everyone keep replying to spam posts? Forum members "jackson123" and "celia123" both joined 9/2007, and both continually post dealstudio spam links. Google "dealstudio spam" and you will see this is a common tactic. I've flagged them both several times over the years, but I guess the mods could care less.

I usually just report spam posts, but I didn't realize those forum members were spammers.... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

my workplace is near to my apartment,I needn't to by bike,but I want buy a bike so that I can ride it at weekend,or sometimes I can ride for amusement.