Biking very far with no experience out of necessity.

diddler

Oct 1, 2012
Hello biking people! I have a problem. I am triyng out on November 25th for something called a drum corps. For anyone interested, I have included a link that describes what a drum corp is. To get to try-outs, I will be biking. I do not have any other means of transportation as I don't have money for a car. I'm not ridiculously out of shape (I go on sporadic 3 mile runs), however I am not in shape either, and the bike ride ONE WAY is 42.6 miles. I have a month and 25 days to be in shape enough to do an 85.2 mile round trip bike ride in a day. How do I get in shape? I'm not interested in being told that riding that far while only staritng to get into shape is unreasonable. Even if it is, I'm going to try it anyway. I have already exhausted any other options. What I am interested in is specific tips as far as excercise and conditioning that can get me as close as possible to fit enough to pull that off in a month and 25 days.

Thanks in advance!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_and_bugle_corps_(modern)

Hi Diddler,

I think you can do it, but you have to start biking regularly now. First of all, please make sure that your bike is fit as well as possible (have you had anyone look at it?). You are going to want to be as comfortable as possible for the duration of your ride, and it will also help to make sure you do not develop any injuries as you up the durations that you ride at. Also, make sure the bike is mechanically sound. Do you have a friend who is a mechanic or can you bring it in to a bike shop to have them look at it?

Secondly, are you able to eat on the bike? This is something I would practice. Eating & drinking. Make sure that your drinks include some type of electrolyte mix (gatorade or eload are examples). Nutrition is going to be important to help you do this as well. I normally use "cliff bars" for food. About one bottle / bar per hour to hour and a half is a good guideline.

Other than that, start increasing your duration. Are you in a hurry to get there? Remember you are going to have a break in between but that drum corps will also be a bit physical as well. Are you accustomed to lifting the weight of the drum and marching around? Are you going to be practicing that that day?

What kind of bike do you have? If a normal road bike or even if a hybrid, I would suggest aiming for a speed of about 13-15 mph for the duration. I wouldn't aim any higher than that for now. You want to focus on building distance, not so much speed. I think the rule of thumb that I have heard is no more than about 10% increase per week (I think this comes from running). In this case you might want to start at about 20 miles and build from there. I would add 5-10 miles to your long ride(s) per week if you can manage it.

The other important thing that I have learned through experience and trial & error is not to go any longer than 3 days between bike rides, unless you are really sick and / or injured. You will start to lose what you have gained if you let any longer than that pass between rides. So a minimum of 3 rides per week starting now. Ideally at least 4 x / week on the bike. Maybe your long ride 2-3x per week and one at half distance 1-2x per week. Also try to include some hills so you can get used to the tension, maybe on your shorter day(s) you can do more hills. Also space your rides out if you can so you can adhere to the 'no more than 3 days off' guideline. Above all though, listen to your body.

Hopefully this helps. I know there are people with more wisdom on this forum. Maybe they will chime in as well.

Originally Posted by GraceB .

I think you can do it, but you have to start biking regularly now. First of all, please make sure that your bike is fit as well as possible (have you had anyone look at it?). You are going to want to be as comfortable as possible for the duration of your ride, and it will also help to make sure you do not develop any injuries as you up the durations that you ride at. Also, make sure the bike is mechanically sound. Do you have a friend who is a mechanic or can you bring it in to a bike shop to have them look at it?

Secondly, are you able to eat on the bike? This is something I would practice. Eating & drinking. Make sure that your drinks include some type of electrolyte mix (gatorade or eload are examples). Nutrition is going to be important to help you do this as well. I normally use "cliff bars" for food. About one bottle / bar per hour to hour and a half is a good guideline.
This is great advice, especially the eating part. Because you are a little out of shape on the bike you will probably be burning more glocose and stored glycogen as opposed to fats (folks in great shape can utilize fats better at a higher intensity). Make sure to have some goodies with you, at the very least some gels and/or sports drink. If you run out of stored glycogen that is gonna be one very expensive taxi ride back.

Don't push too hard in the first half, this is essential. Use your gears, pushing big gears will kill your legs for the second half. Walking is pretty easy. Those in generally good health can walk for great distances (even folks who cannot run 3 miles). Luckily the bike supports some of our weight, think of the early stage of the ride as a walk or slow jog on the bike . Drink lots, have a nice meal 2-3 hours before your ride. And snack on the way. On a ride that long make sure to have some kind of salt supplement as well. Something with sodium and/or pottasium (Like Nuun tablets, or gatorade). Being slighly out of shape, cramps on a ride that are a real possibility. Don't have a big meal when there, and lay of the stuff that is heavy, like pizza, otherwise the ride back will be no fun.

Ride at least 4 days each week till it's time - the rides don't need to be epic, but at least and hour or two each outing will make the long day in the saddle that much more bearable. Try to get in a couple 3 hour rides if you can before then. You will probably be spending 3-4 hours riding each way on the big day.

Buy a patch kit and a small pump, learn how to use it, and make sure to pack it. If you use CO2 cartridges make sure you know how to use before embarking.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by diddler .

I'm not interested in being told that riding that far while only staritng to get into shape is unreasonable. Even if it is, I'm going to try it anyway.
I don't know you, but I like the way you think.

Which Corp will you be trying out for?

Bluecoats fan here!

Dig the Phantom Regiment and the Crossmen. Troopers are awesome, too.

Just ride...you'll get in shape. You're obviously young. Youth will overcome all. Well, all except for having to carry a contra bass bugle!