Biking with a sh*tload of stuff

John Santos

Guest
Don't know if this really belongs here, but there aren't any newsgroups dedicated to commuting.

My commute to and from school is 8k (5mi). Short, but my bike is a POS and my books add 30lbs either
on my bag or on the rear of the bike. Half of this is an ascent complete with steep slopes and
switch backs. Basically, I commute on a 60 dh sled.

Any tips on how to descend fast and under control? As well, what are some things I can do to
increase my pace/endurance on the climb (I average 10-15km/h, then bonk out)? It's not a regualarly
hard climb; it's just the extra weight.

BTW, this is commute is on dirt, in case anyone thinks I'm posting roadie material on AMB.

"John Santos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Don't know if this really belongs here, but there aren't any newsgroups dedicated to commuting.
>
> My commute to and from school is 8k (5mi). Short, but my bike is a POS and my books add 30lbs
> either on my bag or on the rear of the bike. Half of
this
> is an ascent complete with steep slopes and switch backs. Basically, I commute on a 60 dh sled.
>
> Any tips on how to descend fast and under control? As

Try descending with 30 pounds of stuff you can crash with and not feel bad.

Get some body armor and discover the limit.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"John Santos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Don't know if this really belongs here, but there aren't any newsgroups dedicated to commuting.
>
> My commute to and from school is 8k (5mi). Short, but my bike is a POS and my books add 30lbs
> either on my bag or on the rear of the bike. Half of
this
> is an ascent complete with steep slopes and switch backs. Basically, I commute on a 60 dh sled.
>
> Any tips on how to descend fast and under control? As well, what are some things I can do to
> increase my pace/endurance on the climb (I average 10-15km/h, then bonk out)? It's not a
> regualarly hard climb; it's just the extra weight.
>
> BTW, this is commute is on dirt, in case anyone thinks I'm posting roadie material on AMB.

If you do use racks, try and get the weight down around the axle using saddle bags. This gives the
most stable platform.

I think if you did a search for touring sites I think you could find good information on what is
considered the best weight balance (front to read percentages).

I certainly wouldn't think that on your back is a very good place.

Your climbing will improve with time. On cheaper bikes though I've seen the low gearing isn't
all that low. It might be worth looking into getting a smaller granny or a bigger cog on the
rear. In the end though I think that it would be watsed money and a little climbing exercise
will be the answer.

Rob S.